Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this because it is serious for anyone who plans to hunt CO in the future. It is especially serious for non residents hunting CO. There is currently a strong landowner and outfitter push to increase the landowner and outfitter percentages at the expense of everyone else, especially non residents. If this increase in landowner tags was just for landowners and their families to hunt their own land it would be a different matter. These landowner tags can be used to hunt anywhere in the Unit, not just on the landowner's land, they can even be used on public land.
These landowner tags are mostly sold to outfitters and then resold to the big spenders at ridiculous prices. i.e. this is a outfitter subsidy and giveway. Please go to the CO DOW web site wildlife.state.co.us, then to "Hunting", then to "Big Game", then to "License Allocations"
There is a survey there where you can input your feelings. You have a Choice!!, take a few minutes and maybe stop this foolishness OR gripe about CO License Allocations when you don't even take the time to input your feelings. You have until AUG 5 to give your inputs.
From a Former TN'er now living in CO, also owns land and hunts in TN Ray
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 352 | From: Aurora, CO 80012 USA | Registered: Sep 2000 | IP: Logged

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
Ray,

I recently read an article that may have some bearing on out-of-state VS residents hunting rights or State's Rights in allocating non-resident permits.

I guess the issue went all the way to the Supreme Court. What was decided was that states have to provide equal opportunity for non-resident hunters. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, especially in the states that have hi-volume non-resident business, but it seems that this will take the wind out of the sails of the big outfitter/landowner issue.

If the landowners and outfitters can't gouge out-of-staters for a "guaranteed" tag, then there will be no incentive to do so.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Cowboy is right. I shot the last public lands elk in state in 04'. Although there are some in RMNP (Rocky Mountain National Park) and around estes. Try hunting there.

Kidding aside, I am not in favor at all of this system they are possibly going to implement. Our unit #10 is a 10-14 year wait to draw a tag for residents. Now a landowner makes the tag a commodity.

Perhaps I need to buy some nasty side of the mountain land in a prime unit so I can get the landowner tags to pay for the land.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts