Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Working on an over the counter Elk Archery hunt in Colorado (September 2019). I am an experienced whitetail and antelope hunter from Kansas. I have been doing the usual map research and reading. I feel that I have narrowed my regions down to southern CO (Weminuche Wilderness Units 75 751 77). At the same time I am wondering if I am wasting my time focusing on the wrong regions or things. I just wanted to talk with some people on here about their knowledge or experience with these areas. Or if they are able to help me narrow a few things down based on some conversation. Not looking for specific spots just some general questions about terrain, burn areas, populations, and pressure from outfitters or people in specific regions. I know many of you do not want to share info on a public forum which I completely understand and agree with. If you would be interested in PM me that is completely OK. I would be willing to trade Kansas Whitetail information as well as trail cam photos and specific spots for the right trade of info. I am located in one of the best regions in Kansas for public land whitetails with multiple 180" deer being taken on public land within 25 minutes of my house. If not I completely understand just putting out feelers for an honest gentlemens exchange of information. Thank you!

·
Registered
473 Posts
You might try Bowsite.com. A lot more western elk hunters there from my experience with experience in the areas you mentioned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How good is your physical stamina? I backpack those mountains every summer. The locations I've seen elk are more suited for mountain goats. It is very steep and very rugged. Will you have hunting partners?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Physical Stamina is good. Yes with the hunting partners. 4 guys, two of those hunting. Looking at the wilderness area to attempt getting away from people. As I have done more reaserch tho it looks like I might run into more people there than I bargain for. Also, my initial thought was that if I found areas in the wilderness I could find less pressured elk I figured the less rugged ground would have more people and it seems much closer to the towns.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have much experience yet but it seems like the trick is figuring out where the elk go after the pressure comes. I seems like no matter where you go, there will always be other hunters. They are either following you, ahead of you or coming back from the place that you think you want to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts