Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what are the most common misconceptions that you hear about bowhunting in your state?

We all know our home states (save myself) very well, so, I thought this would be a great way to inform hunters about common mistakes in thought regarding to your state.

Post up...I would love to get feedback from all 50 states!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, what are the most common misconceptions that you hear about bowhunting in your state?

Here in Arkansas most people assume that if you and a couple buddies load up your bows for a canoe trip down the river you'll end up squealing like pig to banjo music sooner or later.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
All IL is NOT created equal. I've got access to some real good hunting property and some not so good hunting property. For years all I had was not so good.

A common misconception is that IL is just covered with big bucks everywhere. That's just not the case.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only been a resident for less than a year in Colorado, so, I am not in a position to answer that question.

But, based on my limited experience, I would say a common misconception for Colorado is that you can drive an ATV anyplace on BLM or National Forest.

Errnt! Wrong answer!:mad:

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
common misconception that all of the Big Bucks come from Buffalo County.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
Everyone seems to think TX is full of Monsters and HF ranches. Well its got plenty of that but its also got about 2 states worth of alright hunting for small bucks. Its Not all desert either! We dont all HF hunt though Theres nothing wrong with it! Baiting in TX doesnt generally produce any horns were I lived but it would somtimes get you a shot as a young doe:wink:

Just a couple main one would be that TX is not all monsters!!!!!!

·
Banned
73 Posts

Here in Arkansas most people assume that if you and a couple buddies load up your bows for a canoe trip down the river you'll end up squealing like pig to banjo music sooner or later.

Folks assume here in WI that WON'T happen.....:embara:

Folks assume WI is all big pines (only the top 1/2 is northern forests, much of that is still maple, aspen, etc., the Southern 1/2 is largely open oak forests, both have lots of ag and marsh also) and folks assume all big deer, as pointed out, come from Buffalo Co. Which is fine by me here in Dane Co......

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
that we have small deer here.. Not true:tongue:

·
Banned
3,149 Posts
Common misconception is that there is good hunting in NY state.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That you will end of fighting with an alligator for your deer after you shoot it. Or that we all ride around in pirogues in the swamp with no roads or anything. I had an aunt that would not visit because she said all we had were boats and alligators.

·
Banned
73 Posts
That you will end of fighting with an alligator for your deer after you shoot it. Or that we all ride around in pirogues in the swamp with no roads or anything. I had an aunt that would not visit because she said all we had were boats and alligators.
tell her you also have nutria. When she asks what they are, tell her giant muskrats with their nipples on their back

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That we have Big Bucks:dontknow:
Heck there arent even any deer left:lie:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
common misconception about MT is that we all have outhouses. Most ppl have indoor plumbing too.... the outhouse is just for backup.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
That MN is overpopulated with does. Maybe in the 5 county metro area, but not everywhere. They had to restrict the doe harvest in my zone this year.

·
Registered
205 Posts
tell her you also have nutria. When she asks what they are, tell her giant muskrats with their nipples on their back
And they taste like chicken!!! :) Hell, the wildlife folks here still pay bounties on nutria pelts.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
people think there are no big bucks in NY, i beg to differ

·
Banned
73 Posts
And they taste like chicken!!! :) Hell, the wildlife folks here still pay bounties on nutria pelts.
there ya go; tell her "they're like giant muskrats with nipples on their back that taste like chicken".

Let her wonder if you mean the nutria or their nipples taste like chicken :embara:

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
That there is no deer left in Ohio. I must hunt the best places because I still see tons of deer. I saw 4 different bucks last year in OH that would have made P&Y and an absolute ton of does. On top of that most of the property I hunt is public!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts