Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned a lesson this AM concerning use of scents.

My son brought some Tink's Code Blue with him this past weekend and used a little on a drag going to his stand. Didn't cause any alarm to the deer while he was hunting. Said two yearling spike bucks followed the trail to the end.

I put a dab on a camo rag this morning and put it out in front of my stand. I've got 2 different bucks I've been pursuing pretty hard. About 8:10 two nice mature does came out of the creek from behind me (stand sits on the edge of the creek facing a pasture). They sniffed the air and stayed away from the scent. At 8:20 one of the bucks I've been after came out of the creek to my left and stopped up on the level ground 15 yds, slightly quartering away. I immediately drew the bow and was getting my anchor and lining up and he got a whiff of the scent which was about 6' from him. He bolted out to about 40 yds. Never came closer and pursued the does that were leaving the pasture on the other side. Never had a deer look so close in my peep. I know he didn't scent me since I was south of him with a north breeze. It was exciting to say the least. I did try to grunt him back but just got his attention and that was it.

The package for the Code Blue as it turns out says mid to late season. While they are chasing does at this point I guess they are not ready for full blown rut and so not following the directions caused me a lost opportunity.

He'll be back and so will I but how close next time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe i should stick with the pre-rut scents for now. Thanks for the advice.

Archer88, Mitch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts