Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Jennings CK 3.5 since the middle of August and have started to notice some cable wear that has me concerned. I shoot almost everyday (inside) and shoot on average 50 arrows. Is this normal wear? Seems like I might need to replace the cable soon. From what I've read here, most people get new cables and strings at least once a year.

The strings and cable don't seem to come out of the cam completely straight, but I have my cable guard set for the closest vane clearance possible.

The attached pic isn't the best and the fraying is worse than it appears in this image, which is what has me concerned.

Basically, my question is this. Is this cable wear normal or could there be a hardware issue with my bow?

Thanks,
Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would check for cam lean. Also check for any burs on the cam itself. That is NOT normal. You said you shoot indoors. Is your cam coming in contact with dirt?

Take the cable off and check the cam. I would bet you find a small nick or burr on your cam.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chief P said:
I would check for cam lean. Also check for any burs on the cam itself. That is NOT normal. You said you shoot indoors. Is your cam coming in contact with dirt?

Take the cable off and check the cam. I would bet you find a small nick or burr on your cam.
Thank you so much for the response! From what I can see with the cable on, there is nothing visible in terms of a bur or nick. The bow never comes in contact with dirt of any kind. I am a complete beginner to archery and so working on my own bow is something I know nothing about. I am going to run to a local pro shop here and have them take a look at it today.

Thanks again,
Aaron

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Here are a few things to check:

- The main area of wear appears to be around the sharp radius of the lobe on the cam. It looks like a 1 cam bow -- ensure that your cable slide is holding the string and cable correctly -- the cable should be closer to the centerline of the bow, if it is not, swich the slider around so it is. I.e. the cable should be in the longer groove of the slider.

- Make sure that the serving on the cable is applied the same direction as the twist in it.

- The second area of wear looks like it may be where a module and cam meet. If this is the case, check your module screws for tightness. Also, concerning modules, there is often some play in them when you put them on -- press the bow, loosen the screws, press the module firmly into the cam so the joint is as tight as you can get it and while keeping the pressure on it, tighten the screws. This prevents little gaps that can cause wear.

Now, you should get a new cable. Examine the groove for sharp burs when you have the cable off -- dress any sharp burs. If it continues to wear, keep an eye on it and you can jusr reserve it if you have not damaged the strands under the serving. You do not want to experience a cable breaking on you at full draw, don't risk it.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Do what the above have already stated. If the problem still persist order some serving saver from S&D enterprises and put it on top of the serving. I have been using this material for about 6 months and it is hanging tough.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the great advice. This continues to be my favorite forum, if for nothing more than the quick and knowledgeable responses! I appreciate the help and will get a new cable and my cam checked out asap.

Thanks again,
Aaron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.