Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much difference are you guys shooting indoors than on your hunting rigs? I'm caught in a bind so to speak. I shoot 68lbs hunting rig, but my target rig with spiral cams at 60# wears me out halfway through a 5 spot round. But if I go down in weight to much my float just goes away and I'm all over the place. I have considered trying a less aggressive cam that gives me a good holding weight but not burn me out drawing it. Does that sound to be an option?

·
Registered
122 Posts
How often do you shoot your hunting rig? I'm not a hunter (target only) so I don't know what is typical. I'd shoot the target rig more often before buying new bow / cams. Spirals are aggressive (I have them) but as your form develops it will get more manageable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How often do you shoot your hunting rig? I'm not a hunter (target only) so I don't know what is typical. I'd shoot the target rig more often before buying new bow / cams. Spirals are aggressive (I have them) but as your form develops it will get more manageable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I have same hoyt podium 37. What poundage are you shooting on yours?

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
I shoot 55lbs on my Podium. But I shoot 60 normally. I can’t shoot 60 indoor cause I’m getting 297fps so had to slow it down some. I have 24oz on my back bar and 14 on my front so it’s a workout when I shoot but I like the spirals myself. I do get tired after 60 or so arrows but not so I can’t shoot consistently. My hunting bow is only 65lbs but I only shoot it 20-40 arrows at a time out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Spots - 50#
3d - 65#
Hunt - 75-80#

Most guys indoors I know are shooting lower poundage but using lower letoff to increase holding weight. This helps reduce the pin float.

·
Hunter of many things
12,123 Posts
How much difference are you guys shooting indoors than on your hunting rigs? I'm caught in a bind so to speak. I shoot 68lbs hunting rig, but my target rig with spiral cams at 60# wears me out halfway through a 5 spot round. But if I go down in weight to much my float just goes away and I'm all over the place. I have considered trying a less aggressive cam that gives me a good holding weight but not burn me out drawing it. Does that sound to be an option?
How often are you shooting? If you dropped down 8lbs and are getting worn out, then you are either still building the muscles or your cams are too aggressive as said.

Just an example I was getting tired shooting my hunting bow at 65lbs after a while, so I dropped down 4lbs and can shoot all day.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
How often are you shooting? If you dropped down 8lbs and are getting worn out, then you are either still building the muscles or your cams are too aggressive as said.

Just an example I was getting tired shooting my hunting bow at 65lbs after a while, so I dropped down 4lbs and can shoot all day.
It's likely not the draw weight as much as the holding weight. The Spiral cams are aggressive and have only 65% letoff, so 60 lbs peak is ~21# holding weight. That's likely 5-6lbs more holding weight than a typical "hunting" bow at 68lbs peak, plus you typically aim longer while shooting tournaments than while practicing with hunting bow.

To OP, if you're fatiguing too quickly, you need to turn it down at least until you get conditioned to it, then maybe work back up, but mid to low 50 lbs is not uncommon for indoor, especially with spirals.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,973 Posts
What nestly said, conditioning. I shot Field with draw weight of 62 pounds. Field is 112 shots X 2 for Two day event (224). 900 round is 90 shots X 2 for Two day event (180). IAA Indoor 5 Spot Championship is Two days, so 120 shots.

Can't handle it, turn it down. Not noted a whole bunch lots of Indoor shooters probably average 50 pounds tops. I shot Indoors once at 47 pounds with Bowtech's speed cams (me was tired after two days).

·
Southpaw
701 Posts
For indoor target archery I found my personal sweet spot for holding weight is about 18lbs. That means my indoor bow with 65% let off is around 52lbs., outdoor bow has 75% let off and shoots best for me at around 58lbs. I have much more weight on the front of my outdoor bow than my indoor.

·
Registered
885 Posts
See Nestly’s post.

Is it the draw weight or holding weight at issue?

If it really is draw weight — then drop it to a managable level of what you should shoot as opposed to what you can shoot.

I haven’t shot that bow/cam. Does it have a solid draw stop/wall? If so, after you drop the draw weight, just pull solidly into that wall.

Not mentioned elsewhere — are you getting a good transfer from draw side arm/shoulder to draw side back muscles? When I get lazy on transferring the load is when the pin is slow to settle.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Hunting bow- Xpedition Denali 60#
Indoor bow- PSE Supra me 54#

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Indoor Hoyt Prevail 40, 51.5lbs ,Outdoor Field same.
Outdoor Hunting Hoyt Nitrum, 55lbs

·
edthearcher
6,493 Posts
my rig is set at 46 lbs

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I shoot 57.5# for my indoor target setup, with a holding weight of 14.4# which I'm playing with how to get that increased with my new setup. I'd prefer to be holding more, but the 57# is quite manageable for me over a 66 arrow match.

Hunting I've been everywhere from 60# to 74# and haven't really settled on a weight that works best.

The only issue with using the hunting rig for your indoor and 3d is the bother of retuning everything constantly.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
When you've gone down in weight draw weight have you also gone down in bow mass weight to compensate? You may need to adjust the weight on the stabs so that you keep the ratio of holding weight to mass weight closer to the same.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hunting 70#. 3D 70# or 65# depends on the 3D and bow, indoor spots 60#.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
Hunting bow - 60 - 62 lbs. Maybe 58-59 if it's a real speedster.
Spot bow - 54 - 58 lbs. Depending on teh bow and time of year. I begin the season a few lbs more than I end with. I am shooting 58 lbs on my 2018 PerformX 3D but 4 weeks ago I was shooting it at about 55.
3D bow - 58 - 61 lbs. Dependent solely on how it tunes and shoots for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts