Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am a complete newcomer to the world of archery, and there is not a single shop that carries recurve equipment within 100 miles of my town (well, 84 to be exact) I've tried emailing my local archery club and no one has responded. So I've turned to the internet! I recently received a Bear Archery Cub bow. It's 60" and one solid piece.

It came with a string already on it, but I have no idea of how to tell if it's in good shape or not.

So I guess what I want to know is a) is this a good string, b) how do I decide what weight the string needs to be (40#, 50#, 60#?) and c) is it okay to use modern low-stretch strings on an older bow like this? I read that you could ask your local bowyer about it, but there are none here. Any other information you feel I should should know is highly appreciated as I don't want to snap a string into my eye at any point in my life. Thank you in advance!

·
#teamPSE
5,519 Posts
Hello and welcome,
The string looks ok to me but I am no expert. My cousin builds custom traditional bows so I have been around them. The string will not change the draw weight of the bow at all. That bow is 30 lbs at some draw length (not sure what one as it doesnt state it). In the first pic the string is on backwards just so you know.

You would get better advice and more responses by posting in the traditional forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! How on earth do I know if the string is on backwards?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I supposed to be bending the arms the complete opposite direction they bend when unstrung?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, the bow should be " bending" in th opposite direction. In the pic, if you grip it, the string is in front of the bow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! Well lots of things make more sense now!

·
Live Life To The Fullest
5,533 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363555105.914292.jpg

This is a pic of one strung and one unstrung

·
#teamPSE
5,519 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually haven't shot it yet! I may have given up on archery with the results I would have gotten!

·
Live Life To The Fullest
5,533 Posts
Archery is awesome. You don't want to give up on it just yet. Give it a chance and you will addicted to it like the rest of us. It's a disease LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no worries there! I'd already be deep into it if there were any shops or knowledgeable people near!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You are pretty fortunate. A 60" 30# bow would be a pretty good starter set up. Have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts