Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't hear a whole lot of people using the complete kits offered by Yeti, SS, etc. I understand the appeal of the DIY aspect, but you still have to mod the camera, assemble everything, etc. It seems this would be a convenient way of essentially ordering all the parts in one place (although they do drill the cases for you), but is it a bit too pricey this way? Just curious as to why many of you decide to piece parts together from all over the place.

·
Registered
680 Posts
By buying a kit you are limited to there layout. Most times if you want to add external power you will want to change the layout of the case to get every thing in and not have it looked cramped. If you pick up a case from a store you have to order the pieces.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i love homebrews for a few reasons. not only do i think they perform better in most aspects, but the real reason we build our own is because this is a hobby for us. we like to tinker and try new things with different builds. i have more fun building the cams themselves sometimes than checking the pictures on them (sad i know). the kits are a little more expensive and are there for people as a first build, or for people that want to use homebrews but dont want to get into the hobby.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
All 3 of my builds have been kits. I'm happy with them and have been able to make them work for me even adding externals.

If you don't have the tools to drill the cases properly, soldering irons, and maybe even a work bench to do them I think they are fine. Sure they are going to cost more but they are paying someone to do it so I would expect to pay a little more for that.

Like was said above, they work fine for someone who doesn't have the time, tools or skills to DIY but want a better cam that you can buy commercially.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't use them, but they seem reasonably priced. I really like the looks of the BFoutdoor kits. Problem is that you cannot stop at one, or two, or three, so you might as well go out get all of the necessary tools and get started from scratch.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
There are a real benefit to newbies. Think outside the box. Some people really don't like to build them either. So a kit works great for those people also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, I used a BF Outdoors kit for my 1st build, and will use them for my next 2 builds. I put the pencil to it, and there was only about a $10-15 difference between the kit and buying the parts separately.

Plus, BF grinds the case for you so your cam fits better, cuts the holes, and countersinks holes for the glass to fit into nicely. To me, that's worth the extra $$ right there.

I have found what I consider a great setup for a trail cam to use on my lease in Texas, so I'm sticking to those for now. In a year or two, I may try some other builds because this hobby is really addicting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have build quite a few cams over the last 10 years and I have used the kits on a couple of builds myself. I personally think drilling the case, grinding and getting the layout right is the hardest part of a build and usually recommend a kit to new builders.Some of the kits(cases)are done by a machine shop so they are as perfect as you can get.What few bucks they add to the total cost is well worth it.Its very easy to ruin a new dipped case with a drill...........????:mad::zip::darkbeer:

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,692 Posts
Kits

serve their purpose - but I like to experiment with different layouts and a kit just won't get me there - so many want externals inside - I have a few 1040's with P41 and Yetis with external C's - it's tight but the build is sweet - with Enloops inside and Duracells as the external I get excellent batt life - we all know what the P41 will get is us - same for my s600 builds now - 4-wire hack - fast Yeti - 2 C externals SWEET!

Just finished 3 L14's in a vertically oriented 1020 with a SS and 2 AA externals - can't wait to see how they perform

·
Registered
974 Posts
ill agree that drilling the case correcting is one of the more challenging parts of a build. although mistakes can be fixed with epoxy, goop, or ln :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts