Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Completely new to archery and I'm still in the process of trying to buy a decent used compound bow. Not sure where to go so 1) getting started on my 20 post minimum to see classifieds here 2) checking where everyone else goes and 3) if anyone has any other recommendations on where to go for a first bow. I got introduced a few months back when my son got a compound bow for his birthday. The family that got it for him has taken him out a few times and I got to tag along once as well. Tried a few times and I was hooked. I'm reading whatever I can and have watched a number of videos and am still a bit lost on where to start. A friend of mine offered his back up bow to just play around with. While using it, I've learned a number of things like my draw length, the draw weight I think I should be around, and that shooting in about a foot of snow means I'm losing arrows if I don't hit the target! Please let me know any suggestions, especially if you could let me know where you started and where I need to go. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome to AT! This is a great place to learn. You are going to get alot of different answers to your questions. I will say.....take your time on the bow purchase. Shoot everything you can, as much as you can. Buying a bow to only find out 1 month down the road that you don't like it is a pain in the butt. There are some really good deals in the classifieds, but you have to make sure you are buying the bow you really want. There are some good videos in the AT media forum here, as well as on youtube. Learn as much as you can, but most of all have fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend that you go to your local pro shop and shoot everything you can.* Don't get pressured to buy something you don't want.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Archery Talk Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tryn2Hunt!

Another question that I have is if there's a major difference between picking up a used bow on Craigslist or Ebay for about $150-$200 vs picking something like this for near the same price one that I'd seen on Amazon with most of the accessories I'd like? Name of the one I'd seen on Amazon is "Leader Accessories Compound Bow 50-70lbs 25" - 31" Archery Hunting Equipment with Max Speed 310fps, Right Handed". Draw weight is about 50-70, it says it's easily adjusted and that's not a bad price for something brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bowmankeegan,

I'd tried that but they pointed me in the direction of the brand new $650+ Hoyt line they have. Still need to find a time to go back in to try shooting a few but I'm definitely not in that price range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Relatively Newb here, as well. I think you will find AT to be a genuine wealth of information, although be sure to read it with a critical eye. There are clearly biases on AT - just like everywhere. I would also encourage you to seek out a quality pro shop and a few fellow, more seasoned, archers to bounce ideas off of and "fact check." If you can get some basic, high-quality instruction from the start it will flatten your learning curve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Relatively Newb here, as well. I think you will find AT to be a genuine wealth of information, although be sure to read it with a critical eye. There are clearly biases on AT - just like everywhere. I would also encourage you to seek out a quality pro shop and a few fellow, more seasoned, archers to bounce ideas off of and "fact check." If you can get some basic, high-quality instruction from the start it will flatten your learning curve.
Funny you say that as I was directed to AT after trying a google search of best places to buy used bow. The result found on the link I clicked was that AT is the best numerous times. Now I need to get 20 posts to see the classifieds so I can check what's out there.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm not familiar with the bow you named....it could be the best unknown bow out there, or it could be a disaster waiting to happen. I would save some money, and keep checking the classifieds here before buying something like that off of Amazon. That is strictly my opinion, and you have to weigh out what is best for you. You don't need the most expensive equipment out there to enjoy shooting. However, you do need good quality equipment. Like I said, don't rush it and you will find the bow for you. Then the fun part begins......picking out all the other stuff to go with it!

·
Registered
18,683 Posts
I saw an awesome deal for a par on rockslide the other day, bowmadness for 175$

Be patient there are good buys for quality gear, I would stay away from the amazon bow!

If a shop isn’t willing to show you something in your price range then there not much of a shop, find another!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks Tryn2Hunt!

Another question that I have is if there's a major difference between picking up a used bow on Craigslist or Ebay for about $150-$200 vs picking something like this for near the same price one that I'd seen on Amazon with most of the accessories I'd like? Name of the one I'd seen on Amazon is "Leader Accessories Compound Bow 50-70lbs 25" - 31" Archery Hunting Equipment with Max Speed 310fps, Right Handed". Draw weight is about 50-70, it says it's easily adjusted and that's not a bad price for something brand new.
There will be a major difference between these. When buying a used bow, you can normally get something that is higher quality. However, used bows won’t have warranties, and if you aren’t able to inspect it or shoot it before buying you are taking a bit of a risk.

Personally I would stay away from the bow you were looking at on Amazon... I don’t have any personal experience with them, but I would invest in something that is higher quality that will be a little better suited for you as your skills increase.

If you’re looking for a “budget” bow, I’d look at some of the RTH packages from Cabelas/Bass Pro. They have a pretty good track record, and are decently priced for a fully outfitted bow. Bears are great bows, despite what some people might say, I shot the same one one for the past 10+ years before finally upgrading this year to a Bowtech. Diamond is a sub-brand from Bowtech, they are extremely adjustable bows that are well made. Cabelas/Bass Pros have sales fairly regualrly it seems, and you can pick up an RTH package for less that $350

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
As stated above, shoot as many different bows as you can before making your choice. There'll be one out there that just feels like it belongs in your hand. Then be patient, meet the requirements and watch the classifieds for that brand/model. You'll be much happier in the long run

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw an awesome deal for a par on rockslide the other day, bowmadness for 175$

Be patient there are good buys for quality gear, I would stay away from the amazon bow!

If a shop isn’t willing to show you something in your price range then there not much of a shop, find another!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is rockslide a site or what is that? Not seeing anything on the Googles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the group. Definetly start of with a used bow since bows do not retain their resale value. Most import thing is to get measured to know your draw length so the bow you buy fits you properly without a lot of mods

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arizona.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts