Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been shooting target for the last 5 months on a 20lbs SF recurve. RH. Arrows - beman carbon flash 1200
After a lot of convincing from various parties, I have decided to give compound a try. Tried a random one, and hey, really like how good it felt to handle one.

I can do 30lbs on a recurve now, and probably would want a compound around that weight.

I have narrowed my choices to the bear homewrecker and the diamond archery (Bowtech) infinity edge.

Seems like the infinite edge is more like a kids bow you grow into (marketed as "the last bow you will ever need") vs the homewrecker which is an adult bow.

What do you guys think? My concerns are that I'm in Australia, will be picking up the full package from cabelas in July. So being able to fix up and maintain my bow is quite important.

And on a side note, is the bear siren an upgrade from the homewrecker or just an update?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey Firesnow. I am a seventy year old, 190 lb. male and have been shooting more than fifty years. I sold three old compounds and bought an Infinity Edge the first of Janurary. LOVE IT! Best bow I've ever owned. It is NOT a "kids bow".

·
Registered
596 Posts
Look at the PSE Stiletto. My wife shoots one and LOVES IT! She pulls 36# and 25.5" draw length. She has shot quite a few bows and chose this one. Give it a try.

·
Coram Deo
3,286 Posts
I have narrowed my choices to the bear homewrecker and the diamond archery (Bowtech) infinity edge.

Seems like the infinite edge is more like a kids bow you grow into (marketed as "the last bow you will ever need") vs the homewrecker which is an adult bow.
My wife shoots 35 lbs and 27" draw. I shoot 27" draw, too. She has a Diamond Razor Edge. I use it to practice my release and I shoot well enough with it that I was VERY tempted to use it for the State Indoor Championship back in March. It's good enough to do that. It's not a kid's bow. No.

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,965 Posts
I will second that the Infinity Edge is not a "kids" bow. It can climb way up in the poundage and draw length.

Shoot all and what you can, and don't stay brand loyal. Find a bow that fits you. I would also look at PSEs, Hoyts, and Matthews (if you can in Australia).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would look at the Strother Hope as well. Cabela`s is a Strother Dealer now as well. Not sure if they carry the HOPE ,but , it is a very nice shooting bow. Comes in Muddy Girl camo as well with pink/black strings. Looks sharp. www.strotherarchery.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
One other thing about the diamond infinite edge is how light it is. We just put a Trophy Ridge React sight on my wife's infinite edge. I think the sight weighs as much as the bow. Her bow is set at 45lbs and is easy to draw and hold.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If you can shoot 30 lb. with a recurve you can shoot more than that with a compound. Your draw length isn't that short. You can shoot any bow in the hoyt line up. You are not limited to just womens bows. The bow tech heartbreaker is a nice bow my girl friend shoots one and she loves it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
the diamond is a good bow but you might want to look at a Hoyt charger as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 20 year old daughter shoots the Infinity Edge. She likes it a lot.
I even shot it though the draw length was too short. Its a nice bow.
It is my daughters 1st bow and as she gets stronger it is easily adjustable.
She shoots around 30lbs right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks for all the info! I have a few more months before picking up a bow, but I'm liking the sound of the infinity edge quite a lot! Will check out heartbreaker too. I've been reading a lot in this forum that it is quite popular with women.

It was my original pick, but some of the guys I shoot with were like "pick one of the 3 big brand names! Hoyt, bear, PSE" I liked how flexible the infinite edge is. Homewrecker is simply aesthetically pleasing. Which is quite important too.

For those who shoot infinite edge, I will be able to switch my draw n poundage easily at home right? I will have to learn to shoot with a release. I think someone was commenting on the cabelas page that with that bow, I HAVE to shoot with a release.

Infinite edge is pretty new at the moment, but I was wondering if anything happens to the bow (something snaps) will I be able to order the parts online?

The arrows I'm looking at are gold tip Ted Nugent in pink. (Yes, because its pink. Also, we don't have anything that fancy here. N I run a lower risk of loosing my arrows in the grass n dirt)

And just as a general thing with anything I get, will I have to buy a stabilizer and loop too? Seems like the rth package for diamond archery does not come with those items.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
As per your question I would suggest the Diamond Infinity. I don't think of it as being a kid's bow so much as a nice bow that a kid can grow into.

Now off of the "limited choices too", and without starting a "manufacture make" stink bomb, have you given thought to the Mathews Jewel?
A friend of mine bought one and loves it. Her draw length is 25.5 inches and she is pulling 45 lbs., but of course holding much less.
It is not a cheap bow, but if you are wanting something for the long run you might want to give this some thought.
Else wise I would be leaning toward the Diamond.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now, I'm just starting off. I wouldn't mind a slightly more decent bow. I can always pick up a 3rd bow next year when I head back to the US again. I've seen the Jewel, wasn't sure who the manufacturer was, so I didn't give it a 2nd look, opps I'll look into it!

So I have to look into heartbreaker, Hoyt charger, jewel, hope, stiletto.

Is it normal to pick a bow just because it looks aesthetically pleasing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
G'day Firesnow, The BowTech Heartbreaker is a great bow that was actually designed for female Archers. My 14 yr old daughter and my wife both shoot them and absolutely love them. They come in a few different target colors that look great as well as a camo version which also comes equipped with the RAK system - sight, arrow rest, stabilizer, bow quiver and sling !! The bows MSRP is $699. The Heartbreaker has the most forgiving brace height of all the bows mentioned at 7" which makes it a very forgiving bow to shoot. It also only weighs 3.7 lbs which is 2nd only to the Jewel - the Jewel weighs 3.6lbs but the brace height is only 6.37" and it costs $300 more for the bare bow!!

The Diamond Infinite Edge has a huge amount of adjustment for both draw weight and draw length which makes it an easy bow to re-sell especially with a low MSRP of $350. The Infinite Edge also comes equipped with the RAK system making it an even better deal.

I don't know how easy it is to try different bows where you are but ideally you should try to hold and shoot the ones you are interested in and then go with the one that feels the best. I can say you won't go wrong with either the Heartbreaker or the Infinite Edge!!

Good Luck !!

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Draw length and weight are adjustable at home on the infinite edge. There is something about moving between large differences in draw length that require the draw string to be re-anchored at a different point on the cam. So you might need to relax the limbs to go from 15 inch draw length to 30 inch draw length.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know how easy it is to try different bows where you are but ideally you should try to hold and shoot the ones you are interested in and then go with the one that feels the best. I can say you won't go wrong with either the Heartbreaker or the Infinite Edge!!

Good Luck !!

Joe
Thank you! I am actually heading to Cabela's in Nebraska in July. Their online website is not showing the Heartbreaker, but it is beginning to look like I'm definitely in the market for one. Hopefully I'll be able to try that one out then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Draw length and weight are adjustable at home on the infinite edge. There is something about moving between large differences in draw length that require the draw string to be re-anchored at a different point on the cam. So you might need to relax the limbs to go from 15 inch draw length to 30 inch draw length.
My draw length should be pretty fixed at 26.5" at the moment, unless I'm planning to sell it to another person. But I was hoping that the poundage is easily adjustable. I am able to do 30lbs on a recurve (still stuck with my 20lbs though) but I am hoping that once I get used to the 30lbs compound I can move up to the 40lbs at some stage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wife started at 40lbs with the infinite edge. It is her first bow and first time shooting. You just tighten the limb bolts per the instructions. Later, we tightened her limbs one or two turns and now she is at 47lbs. Go to Diamonds website and down load the manual to see exactly how it is done. Also there are a few videos on YouTube about the bow. One has a girl talking about how she adjusted the bow for some young kids in the neighborhood to try and then adjusted back to her settings. I think she claims it took 20 minutes total.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have an Infinity edge coming as a back-up/extra bow ( in case my daughter's want to take up archery ;)
I'll let you know what I think--
My other bow is Mathews passion, which I like quite a lot!
Susie
Ps It's a nice price point, and Iif I don't care for it, I don't think I'd have any trouble selling it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts