Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you can shoot a 30 lb recurve, that's 30 lb holding weight.

Since compounds are built differently from a physics perspective... you might want to try a 35-45 lb bow. The holding weight on those compounds will only be around 15 lb, far less than you're used to. Overcoming the peak weight 5-10 lb higher shouldn't be a problem for you if the draw length and mass weight are set correctly because you'll already be in motion.

Try a smooth cam bow, either a single cam, or something like twin ME cams. You don't want an overly aggressive cam like those on speed bows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you can shoot a 30 lb recurve, that's 30 lb holding weight.

Since compounds are built differently from a physics perspective... you might want to try a 35-45 lb bow. The holding weight on those compounds will only be around 15 lb, far less than you're used to. Overcoming the peak weight 5-10 lb higher shouldn't be a problem for you if the draw length and mass weight are set correctly because you'll already be in motion.

Try a smooth cam bow, either a single cam, or something like twin ME cams. You don't want an overly aggressive cam like those on speed bows.
I was thinking that I might not be able to pull the required 40lbs. Was told that I should give 40lbs a try.

What would You consider as a speed bow? Seems like a lot of these bows are around 300fps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wife started at 40lbs with the infinite edge. It is her first bow and first time shooting. You just tighten the limb bolts per the instructions. Later, we tightened her limbs one or two turns and now she is at 47lbs. Go to Diamonds website and down load the manual to see exactly how it is done. Also there are a few videos on YouTube about the bow. One has a girl talking about how she adjusted the bow for some young kids in the neighborhood to try and then adjusted back to her settings. I think she claims it took 20 minutes total.
That sounds fantastic! Sounds easy enough. I'm just tired of knowing that if I keep doing recurve, I will have to buy limbs every couple of months. I'm due for 2 upgrades that never happened. Was going to get a 24lbs in Jan, and recently I should be up to 30lbs, but decided to hold off and get a compound in July.

I saw the Infinite Edge having that much room to change up and down, I can go for that, and get the heartbreaker once I "get there" or Matthews Jewel or Passion.

Is anyone into the female bows by Bear? So far no one has said anything about home wrecker or siren.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The Bride shot pretty much all of 'em before she bought: Homewrecker, Heartbreaker, Infinite Edge, Equalizer, etc.

Then she shot a Hoyt Ruckus; she loves it. She's another short-draw, at 26"; had to start her out at 25# (she has awful shoulder damage: too many years of riding colts). I've been adding about 2#/week to her DW; showed her the scale yesterday (35#) and she asked for another 2#.

Good luck, and have FUN with whatever you get!

·
Registered
796 Posts
The Bear Homewrecker I believe needs draw modules and a bow press to change them. Something to think about. The Siren doesn't but is more expensive.The Apprentice 2 can give you the ability to play with a wide range of draw weights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Bear Homewrecker I believe needs draw modules and a bow press to change them. Something to think about. The Siren doesn't but is more expensive.The Apprentice 2 can give you the ability to play with a wide range of draw weights.
Ah, okay that definitely is a concern for me. I have been told that to increase the poundage on the compound I wouldn't have to buy new limbs every 4lbs increase. Which is why I'm thinking of making the jump over.

Siren and Heartbreaker seems to be around the same price for their RTH package.

And on the side, what's the difference between RTH and RAK?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Btw, thank you everyone for all the info. I really really do appreciate them all!! :) and am really looking forward to shopping for my bow in the US soon!! Hopefully I'll get to try to shoot the few I have narrowed down when I get there, and I do hope the retail stores have more than just the bows on their website. I heard that cabelas has an indoor range for you to try out the bow you want before purchase. Either that, or we Aussies fantasie too much. But I've heard amazing things...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Check out the Mission Craze. It's a small, highly adjustable bow that is super smooth. It runs $300 and you don't need a press for adjustments. If you want to sell it later, they sell easily here or to anyone into bowfishing without much depreciation.

It kind of looks toyish, but try it out. That little thing is impressive.

IBO RATE Up to 306 fps
PHYSICAL WEIGHT 3.6 lbs.
AXLE TO AXLE 28"
BRACE HEIGHT 7.5"
LET-OFF 80%
RISER Extruded
DRAW WEIGHT 15 - 70 lbs
FINISH (RISER/LIMBS) Lost Camo
AT DRAW LENGTH 19 - 30"
SILENCERS D-Amplifiers™
SUPPRESSORS N/A
CAM(S) N/A
CABLE GUARD Carbon Rod
BOWSTRINGS Zebra® Hybrid
STRING LENGTH 55 3/4"
GRIP Composite
CABLE LENGTH 30 7/8"
MSRP $299.00 (Bow Only)
* All specifications are approximate.** Without accessories.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cabelas archery dept isn't that great around here, and won't have many models suggested here. Visit a couple different pro shops and you should be able to try them all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hmmm. it really depends where the BF's family will take me, but I was told Cabelas is the closest outdoor store to where they are at, and I don't really want to cause too much problems. With all the bow suggestion, perhaps right now it would be best to check them out online, try the narrowed down choices based on what the shop has, then order in the one that I like best from the specs I read online.

just curious, how would you order a bow online? Besides picking the bow, then specifying the draw-length, do the suppliers tune up the bow to your draw-length and lbs before shipping it out to you?
and another thing is that sometimes, you have to pick the pondage 30-40 40-50 50-60lbs, does this mean it is a different limb attachment on the same bow that you have to pick, or is it something that the shop tunes up or down closest to what you need (and you can tighten it to make it heavier or lighter) before shipping it out to you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
A friend is shooting a DS-3800SD, which is basically a DS-3800 tweaked for those with a shorter draw. He is at 40lbs @ 26 inches, and just to echo a phrase people have used about other bows, this one is also not a toy. Fast bow for its drawlength/weight, and quite forgiving and easy on the draw for a speed bow.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
hmmm. it really depends where the BF's family will take me, but I was told Cabelas is the closest outdoor store to where they are at, and I don't really want to cause too much problems. With all the bow suggestion, perhaps right now it would be best to check them out online, try the narrowed down choices based on what the shop has, then order in the one that I like best from the specs I read online.

just curious, how would you order a bow online? Besides picking the bow, then specifying the draw-length, do the suppliers tune up the bow to your draw-length and lbs before shipping it out to you?
and another thing is that sometimes, you have to pick the pondage 30-40 40-50 50-60lbs, does this mean it is a different limb attachment on the same bow that you have to pick, or is it something that the shop tunes up or down closest to what you need (and you can tighten it to make it heavier or lighter) before shipping it out to you?
Ordering online is just "add to cart" and pay for it.

It will not be tuned out-of-the-box. You'll need to go to a pro-shop/club to get it tuned to you.

Most bows only have a 10lbs adjustment range. If you order a 50lbs max model, it'll generally only go down to 40lbs min before the limb bolts do not engage and pop out. Out of the box it will be set to the maximum. The manual will tell you how many turns will safely get you to the minimum draw weight.

I'd definitely recommend buying the bow from a pro-shop that knows how to set it up for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ordering online is just "add to cart" and pay for it.

It will not be tuned out-of-the-box. You'll need to go to a pro-shop/club to get it tuned to you.

Most bows only have a 10lbs adjustment range. If you order a 50lbs max model, it'll generally only go down to 40lbs min before the limb bolts do not engage and pop out. Out of the box it will be set to the maximum. The manual will tell you how many turns will safely get you to the minimum draw weight.

I'd definitely recommend buying the bow from a pro-shop that knows how to set it up for you.
Oh thank you! I does concern me, when a bow has the specs 40-60lbs, if I will be able to get it down to 30lbs? I heard that you will be able to loosen the bolts so that it can go down to a 30lbs, even though it is for 40-60lbs. For example for the heartbreaker, it is say "draw weight 40, 50, 60" so I will be able to set it at 40, 50 or 60? That is what is still confusing for me.
do I have to get separate limbs for each peak draw weight?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

It depends on the bow- but for most there is about a 10 lb range of draw weight,
That's why I think the diamond edge, razor edge and Infinite edge type bow ( plus others that were mentioned, Craze, etc) are great for people who are just starting out or for kids- very adjustable w/o the trouble and expense of buying new limbs or different draw length modules.
Susie
so yes the heartbreaker is available in those draw weights, but you would have to purchase the specific limbs you wanted, as they are in approximate ten pound increments only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

It depends on the bow- but for most there is about a 10 lb range of draw weight,
That's why I think the diamond edge, razor edge and Infinite edge type bow ( plus others that were mentioned, Craze, etc) are great for people who are just starting out or for kids- very adjustable w/o the trouble and expense of buying new limbs or different draw length modules.
Susie
so yes the heartbreaker is available in those draw weights, but you would have to purchase the specific limbs you wanted, as they are in approximate ten pound increments only.
This is helpful thank you. I have been trying to get information like this, but i've either been asking the wrong questions or not typing it out correctly on google. I was asking some guys I shoot with about having to get different limbs/accessories/attachments if say a compound is from 40-50lbs, and this guy is saying that I should be able to turn the screws out a bit to get it down to 30lbs. Which technically is in the 10lbs range, down from 40lbs. But that would probably mean that I am looking at compound with a weight range peaked at 40lbs and not 50lbs.

Looks like I will be getting the infinite edge till I've maxed out on my poundage. (hoping to hit 40lbs by the end of the year) then jump up to whatever latest n better ladies bow out there.

right now i'm not too fussed about the color. met a guy at a pro shop and he hand sprayed his own compound. he said he went to a general store and asked for "fishnet stockings, ropes, mask and spray paint" he did an amazing job with his bow. has anyone here tried painting their compound at home?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bought infinite edge for my fiancé and we both love it. Not at all a kids bow. Yes it has a lot of room for adjustments. But it shoots just as well and any adult bow I've shot. Great price and very nice for starters. Light weight and nice grip. Smooth draw and really cool looking bow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My own bow is the Bowtech Assassin. It can be bought with 50lbs limbs, 60lbs limbs, or 70lbs limbs. The limb bolts can be turned out a limited amount to drop the rated poundage 10lbs. So the Heartbreaker (which is just a short draw Assassin with different colors) can be bought with 40lbs limbs, 50lbs limbs, or 60lbs limbs. Each can have their limb anchor bolt turned out to drop the draw weight a total of 10 lbs.

The Infinite Edge just has special bolts and indicators so it can be turned way out. You can lower its 70lbs limbs to 10lbs in the "A" string anchor. Or 7.7 in the "B" anchor point. And as low as 5.4lbs in the "C" anchor point. Most bows can't relax their limbs that much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bought infinite edge for my fiancé and we both love it. Not at all a kids bow. Yes it has a lot of room for adjustments. But it shoots just as well and any adult bow I've shot. Great price and very nice for starters. Light weight and nice grip. Smooth draw and really cool looking bow.
infinite edge is sounder better and better by the minute. Spent today watching lots of youtube videos (public holiday in Australia, woohoo) and the reviews are looking good.

My own bow is the Bowtech Assassin. It can be bought with 50lbs limbs, 60lbs limbs, or 70lbs limbs. The limb bolts can be turned out a limited amount to drop the rated poundage 10lbs. So the Heartbreaker (which is just a short draw Assassin with different colors) can be bought with 40lbs limbs, 50lbs limbs, or 60lbs limbs. Each can have their limb anchor bolt turned out to drop the draw weight a total of 10 lbs.

The Infinite Edge just has special bolts and indicators so it can be turned way out. You can lower its 70lbs limbs to 10lbs in the "A" string anchor. Or 7.7 in the "B" anchor point. And as low as 5.4lbs in the "C" anchor point. Most bows can't relax their limbs that much.
Ah yes, I downloaded the manual too, and watched more videos and it does look easy to switch it in and out. just gotta get it to a shop to switch it from C to B to A. looks like i'm sitting around a B range at the moment, and I think B will last me till I get one of the higher end bows. And thank you, now I get the whole max poundage for the compounds. much more flexible than the recurve that's for sure, which was one of the main reasons why I wanted to make the switch over.

For all of you who have the infinite edge, did anyone get a stabilizer? is it necessary? i'm looking for something not too fancy, basic that fulfill its purpose would be great. what would you guys recommend? the RTH package doesn't seem to come with it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Look at a Bowtech Assassin SD or Heartbreaker. They are the same bow. I got my girlfriend a Bowtech Assassin SD for her very first bow. It is set at 50 lbs and it super easy to draw and hold it there all day.

A compound is easier to draw back and definitely easier to hold back. You might actually be surprised at how much weight you can draw on a compound bow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Look at a Bowtech Assassin SD or Heartbreaker. They are the same bow. I got my girlfriend a Bowtech Assassin SD for her very first bow. It is set at 50 lbs and it super easy to draw and hold it there all day.

A compound is easier to draw back and definitely easier to hold back. You might actually be surprised at how much weight you can draw on a compound bow.
Ah yes, I was looking at the heartbreaker and I'm really liking that one as well, but it seems like Cabelas might not have it, and I really do not want to trouble anyone to take me to some far away place to try one out. Does the razzberry come with the RAK package? I might be able to hold 50lbs but I might not be able to pull the 50lbs though.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts