Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
"There are many different areas we need to progress. Each sport and discipline at the Olympics must offer something different to the Games, athletes and spectators."

Based on this statement, I think compound archery would be too similar to recurve archery to be considered a different event, but too different to be considered a different class (equipment is completely different, so its not the same as having a running or swimming event with say, 2 different distances).

The only way I think it could happen is that it would have to replace recurve archery altogether, and I think there would be a large amount of politics involved in getting that to happen. In the meantime, I think we ought to just focus on growing organizations like World Archery that already have a focus on it (American Football isn't an olympic sport, but that certainly hasn't hurt the NFL).

·
Socket Man
23,155 Posts
I think once think once they stop screwing around that compound archery is ready to go and one of the easiest sports to set up some targets at the venue and get to shooting so out top dogs can get a gold medal for their country.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
At this point, pretty much everywhere except the Olympics the compound is now a first class citizen. It's no longer the redheaded stepchild it was in many circles 20 years ago when I started shooting. Nowadays you're not run off anywhere when you show up with a compound like in the old days, where you were tolerated and only until the recurves started showing up at the club field. So just a matter of time now, IMO

DM

·
Registered
305 Posts
I read somewhere a few years back that the people in charge of Olympic Archery voted to exclude compounds. They are all Europeans and consider all compounds as trash. If memory serves, the way that the rules are set up (unless they are changed), it will be about 10 years before compound archery would even be considered as an event. IF you read between the lines (IMO), they knew that the good old U.S. of A. would dominate compound archery. And that is something that I.O.C. cannot accept (allow). That's why I don't watch international competitions where "judges" are involved because of the obvious bias against U.S. athletes...

·
Registered
998 Posts
It would be nice to see it there, but it would never be avaliable to watch on our local tv. Im a big fan of world archery and their tour and thats enough for me, top production, commentators actually talking about the sport and just how professional the archers are when they are competing

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I would rather watch olympic horseshoe pitching.

The world horseshoe pitching competition is going to be held in Montgomery, Alabama this July. I wont be there.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I read somewhere a few years back that the people in charge of Olympic Archery voted to exclude compounds. They are all Europeans and consider all compounds as trash. If memory serves, the way that the rules are set up (unless they are changed), it will be about 10 years before compound archery would even be considered as an event. IF you read between the lines (IMO), they knew that the good old U.S. of A. would dominate compound archery. And that is something that I.O.C. cannot accept (allow). That's why I don't watch international competitions where "judges" are involved because of the obvious bias against U.S. athletes...
Haven't seen crap like that since a long time .....:thumbs_do

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,922 Posts
I have actually been to an Olympic archery event. Atlanta 1996. I never once thought about adding a compound class. I really enjoyed it the way it was.

I would probably be ok with adding a compound class but never as a replacement.

And.... In World Archery there is only one US man, Reo, and one US woman, Crystal, in the top 10.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,622 Posts
If by all I've heard, and I do inquire, I won't see compounds in the Olympics in my life time. Meanwhile, some goofy sports remain, like curling. How many other Olympic sports hang on for no good reason?

Waiting for compounds to happen is probably the worst thing to do. Boycotting the Olympics would fair better. Archers here in the U.S.A. turning off the Olympics and saying so would open some eyes. Who's favored vehicle, favored anything, has commercials during the Olympics? Put the pressure on them. At one time there was some 3 1/2 million archers in the U.S and today that number is said doubled and even tripled. If 9 million and 9 million raised their voices, refused to watch the Olympics? What if the U.S pulled out of the Olympics until compounds were let in? Won't happen, but a thought....

Personally, the only reason athletes go to the Olympics is because they were in the "right spot at the right time." More than likely the world's real best never got the chance. How many schools or organizations have try outs for Olympic quality? How many coaches step forward to point out one that may have Olympic quality? All my years and I've yet to hear of such in my surrounding area, any place, period.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,922 Posts
Sonny, you have to realize that the Olympics are not just for the US. It is a world wide event.

Baseball is another prime example. So is soccer.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would also agree, tho, that the US no longer totally dominates compound archery. We're still one of the main forces, but other teams around the world are starting to show up at the finals all the time too. Denmark, the Netherlands, Columbia, Iran, Turkey and the Russians to name a few. And of course the Koreans are taking the compound seriously and starting to become regulars as well.

So I stand by that it's merely a matter of time now. Within my lifetime, dunno, but I think eventually....

DM

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It should be but wont. Coverage is dictated by nbc put archery on during pt and number one it will be put womens shotput and it will.

Iirc trap even got coverage since we had a gold contender. Like for the first time ever

·
Registered
164 Posts
Who is to say that one person's sport is more worthy than someone else's? I'm sure anyone who is into curling or synchronised swimming or any of the other lesser known Olympic sports believes that their place in the Olympics is important in the same way that archery is important to us.

The IOC is a worldwide organisation and makes decisions on what should be included based on how popular it would be among the 7 billion people on this planet, not on whether a few Americans are throwing a hissy fit about compound archery not being included.

Personally I would love to see more archery events, including compound, but I understand that the IOC is not going to include an event in the Olympics just because one country wants it there. Compound archery is gaining in popularity around the world, and I have no doubt that it will be included once there are enough other countries with archers who will be competitive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Compound in the olympics would be HUGE!
Other sports have been intro's like snowboarding. Heck I used to race against some of the guys that have been on the olympic teams in the past. Chris Klug, Christ (short ih sound) Anderson, Anton Pogue, all those guys got starts right here in Oregon.

I dont really thing US would dominate compound target archery in the olympics, yes there are some good archery here but good ones all over the world too.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,622 Posts
Sonny, you have to realize that the Olympics are not just for the US. It is a world wide event.

Baseball is another prime example. So is soccer.
I didn't say it wasn't. And there is just more than the U.S. wanting compounds in the Olympics.

Who is to say that one person's sport is more worthy than someone else's? I'm sure anyone who is into curling or synchronised swimming or any of the other lesser known Olympic sports believes that their place in the Olympics is important in the same way that archery is important to us.

The IOC is a worldwide organisation and makes decisions on what should be included based on how popular it would be among the 7 billion people on this planet, not on whether a few Americans are throwing a hissy fit about compound archery not being included.

Personally I would love to see more archery events, including compound, but I understand that the IOC is not going to include an event in the Olympics just because one country wants it there. Compound archery is gaining in popularity around the world, and I have no doubt that it will be included once there are enough other countries with archers who will be competitive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
See my reply to SHPoet here..... Yes, more countries than just the U.S. want compounds in the Olympics.

Curling, a granite stone launched down ice and sweepers trying to warm up the ice with brooms the granite stone will slide farther. Say giant shuffle board. And all the 7 billion people on this planet don't watch the Olympics. Half don't watch the Olympics and the other half (1/4 actually) don't even own a TV.

We had skiing, but then snowboarding walked right in without so much as notification....

Of course professional basketball players can now compete in the Olympics. Remember the Dream Team?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts