Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the trend of the lastest bows getting shorter and shorter on their ATA, what is a highly recommended compound for finger shooters? Doesn't have to be new so let's say with in the last 3 yes or so ..... Any recommendations? My DL is 27".....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hoyt makes a compound designed specifically for finger shooters.. it has wheels and no cams so its super smooth draw and almost no valley. I own this bow (same DL as u) and can shoot it with release or fingers. I really like this bow it shoots well quiet and smooth, no complaints
The Hoyt Vantage Ltd 45ATA
http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/vantage+ltd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.... I'll look into that bow.

Whats your #. Do you know what the FPS your getting out of it?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The Vantage is great for finger shooters,with the way bows are made today it can be very risky shooting most of them with fingers!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I dont know the FPS. i have a 40-50lb bow and am shooting 46lbs the ltd has about 50% let off
Thanks.... I'll look into that bow.

Whats your #. Do you know what the FPS your getting out of it?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hoyt makes a compound designed specifically for finger shooters.. it has wheels and no cams so its super smooth draw and almost no valley. I own this bow (same DL as u) and can shoot it with release or fingers. I really like this bow it shoots well quiet and smooth, no complaints
The Hoyt Vantage Ltd 45ATA
http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/vantage+ltd
I have a 2011 LTD and all I can say is wow! This thing sure is sweet! I've been shooting fingers for 30 years and my groups have never been tighter than with this bow. Not cheap though!

·
Registered
260 Posts
With the trend of the lastest bows getting shorter and shorter on their ATA, what is a highly recommended compound for finger shooters? Doesn't have to be new so let's say with in the last 3 yes or so ..... Any recommendations? My DL is 27".....
Darton DS4500. Good Luck. Later Jerry

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yeah be careful with the newer bows. My dad was a die hard finger shooter. He had a darton cyclone from like '97 I think, and then he bought the new ds 4500 from them this year. The 4500 is 38" ata. After he derailed it twice he switched over to a release.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I got my 2010 ltd never shot on here for bout 450 just gotta keep an eye out and know what ur lookin for
I have a 2011 LTD and all I can say is wow! This thing sure is sweet! I've been shooting fingers for 30 years and my groups have never been tighter than with this bow. Not cheap though!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I got my 2010 ltd never shot on here for bout 450 just gotta keep an eye out and know what ur lookin for
Yeah, I looked for one for awhile but I'm a lefty, I knew what I was lookin' for just not that many lefties out there. Besides, now that I bought new I get the warranty that goes with it!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
....JMO6.....Come and see "US" over on the Finger Shooters board....What bow You choose is heavily influenced by what Your intended use is for the Bow,.....An Indoor Spot shooter isnt wanting the same thing from a bow as a hard-core Bowhunter, same for 3-D, Field, etc..etc....Take Care.....Harperman

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I would look for any of the following older Hoyts:

Aspen, Oasis, Protec with LX Pro or 4000 limbs, Reflex Caribou, Vantage LTD, Montega

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is as it sits now(prettty much) haha... Right now it is set up for target. My original plan was for it to be a hunting bow but i had target stuff at home so thats what i threw on it just to be able to shoot it. Not sure if i will hit the woods with it this year or not but i can say this its shoots really well at 70m (77yards) my max distance for competition. I really have no complaints with this bow.. for the most part i shoot it with a release but now and again i shoot with fingers and i actually do better with fingers than with the release.
Do you mind posting a picture of your setup, if it's okay with the OP? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a hoyt ltd for my finger shooting game and its the best finger shooters bow I have had in the last 20 years, the only other bow I shot fingers with that I was nearly as happy with was a hoyt oasis plus carbinett with accuwheels. Both bows where perfact for fingers. There are other bows out there that will go very nicly with fingers but those 2 are my pick.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My current bows are Martin Shadowcat(s), but as Harperman says, it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

Shadcats 2.3.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys..., I'll mostly use it to hunt. I don't shoot much target archery. Just looking to get into something other than the typical compound arena.....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
With a 27" DL, you might be able to get away with a slightly shorter ATA, around 37 to 38", that then put's you in reach of bows like the Bowtech Old Glory.

Before the Shadowcats I used a Bowtech Constitution which is a fast and accurate bow, but a little difficult to get along with. The Brigadier may be an option for you, the DL did not go long enough for me, so I've never shot one.

Twin cam bows are generally going to be faster, but single cam bows are usually a little easier to live with. For hunting I would probably be looking 37" to 42" ATA, so plenty of choice there!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts