Archery Talk Forum banner

Compound Fingers classes in NAA ...why Masters only?

596 1
I hope someone can illuminate this question for me. The NFAA has a Freestyle Limited class that is essentially Compound Fingers, but the NAA does not unless you are 50+ years old ... and I moved into the 60+ class last year. Why? (I get good-natured ribbing about my bow with the "training wheels", but I'm used to it :) )

I think this is a bit of a "chicken and egg" argument actually. With no opportunity (until recently .. I'll explain later) to compete at the JOAD level, kids have to make a choice ... recurve fingers or compound release. I understand that the NAA supports only recurve (fingers) and compound (release) USAT and Jr USAT. However, I regularly hear kids say that they would try CF if they could compete with it.

Just recently though I saw the results from the JOAD mail-in tournament. There were a few CF shooters listed. That's the first time I've seen that at the JOAD level in an NAA competition. There may well be other examples but they have escaped me.

With so many kids being introduced to archery via the National Archery in Schools Program, I wonder if there will be more interest in CF classes for competition since they use the Genesis bow with fingers release.

Any thoughts?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

10,284 Posts
I hope someone can illuminate this question for me. The NFAA has a Freestyle Limited class that is essentially Compound Fingers, but the NAA does not unless you are 50+ years old ... and I moved into the 60+ class last year. Why? (I get good-natured ribbing about my bow with the "training wheels", but I'm used to it :) )

I think this is a bit of a "chicken and egg" argument actually. With no opportunity (until recently .. I'll explain later) to compete at the JOAD level, kids have to make a choice ... recurve fingers or compound release. I understand that the NAA supports only recurve (fingers) and compound (release) USAT and Jr USAT. However, I regularly hear kids say that they would try CF if they could compete with it.

Just recently though I saw the results from the JOAD mail-in tournament. There were a few CF shooters listed. That's the first time I've seen that at the JOAD level in an NAA competition. There may well be other examples but they have escaped me.

With so many kids being introduced to archery via the National Archery in Schools Program, I wonder if there will be more interest in CF classes for competition since they use the Genesis bow with fingers release.

Any thoughts?
Back ttt for ya...;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.