Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi archers,
i would like to know the results of someone shooting compound fita outdoor with helical vanes?
do they get a good result at 50 meters? is 2" helical to much for vanes less than 2" for outdoor Fita ?

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,924 Posts
I think the term "helical" and "offset' get mixed up when talking about vanes.

When I shot compound in FITA type events I always used an offset vane. Generally about 2deg oe less. I would use a low profile vane around 1.5" to 1.75". They worked well for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the term "helical" and "offset' get mixed up when talking about vanes.

When I shot compound in FITA type events I always used an offset vane. Generally about 2deg oe less. I would use a low profile vane around 1.5" to 1.75". They worked well for me.
Hi SHPoet,
im kind new on thoses things, using small vane with helical clamp for 2", would the result be a offset?

i forgot to tell that im using blade rest,

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I use 1.75" shield cut Bohning X vanes on Gold Tip Pierce Platinum shafts, fletched with the Arizona EZ Fletch Carbon Right Helical fletching jig. The short vane doesn't get much helical but does get about 2 degrees of offset which works very well. I use a standard width blade and don't have any problem with excessive vane contact though much of that is due to your tuning.

With a full 2" vane and a true helical clamp, depending on your diameter of arrows, you may have a little harder time with fletching clearance on the blade but it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Helical and offset are effectively the same thing but you can get more "twist" in the vane with a "helical" clamp because the clamp itself is "twisted". When you use a "straight" clamp, you can only put so much "twist" from the front of the vane to the back, before the base of the vane will not fit flat to the shaft, but even with a "straight" clamp, the vane is flexible and the base of the vane flexes to become normal to the outside of the shaft with a moderate amount of offset. A helical clamp is "twisted" to allow the clamp itself to impart twist into the vane, therefore you can get more offset/twist in the vane from the front to the back. You really can't tell the difference visually, or via shooting, between the same amount of "helical" and "offset".

For medium to long range target shooting, 1 to 3 degrees of "offset" is the norm. High twist rates do not perform better at long distance on target arrows, it only causes greater drag (more curved trajectory).

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
I use the tiny AAE Plastifletch Max 1.6" vanes at 2* LH helical on my skinnies. Works fine.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I wish I could help with the helical question specifically, but I shot 2" AAE shield cuts dead perfect straight on my ACE 470's out of my 33lb PSE at our state outdoor a month or so ago. I got 3rd, even with 2 misses (don't ask :) ), though I can't remember my score offhand. It wasn't super duper competitively, but it was outstanding compared to myself.

Because I shoot such low poundage, I've decided not to add the little extra drag of helical and just get the best possible tune out my setup I can muster (so the vanes do the least work possible).

I do find that even straight, no offset on the vanes, the shaft will still slowly spin at least a few rotations on the way to the target at 50M. Of course they're only doing 226fps in my setup. So I might be getting a small benefit even from that....

lee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts