Archery Talk Forum banner

Compound to traditional? Warning-long post.

704 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Viper1
Been shooting compounds since about 1995. I want to start shooting traditional. I don't intend to hang up my PSE compound anytime soon but would like to shoot traditional as well. It's just something I've always wanted to do. I'm approaching this from a hunting angle, not target shooting only. I can't afford nor am I willing to pay for an expensive bow. I've set the limit at $300-400. I'm not really interested in a used bow either. I've always shot compounds in the 60-70# range. Mostly at 70#. I'm loyal to PSE but I've heard that their trad bows leave much to be desired. Soooo...here's my list of possibilities-

PSE Impala
PSE Kudu
PSE Coyote

I'm interested in these as they have inserts for adding a sight and a stabilizer. I'm mostly interested in the sight inserts. I'm not really ready to shoot instinctive yet. Shooting off the shelf is fine though.

Martin Rebel (also has the sight inserts!)
Martin L-100
Martin Stick
Martin X-150
Martin X-200

I probably would prefer a recurve over a long bow but it really does not matter to me at this point. I like the fact that the Martins are made here in the US unlike the PSE trad bows which are made in Italy. The Martin L-100 does say "European craftsmanship" on the Martin website so it may in fact be made offshore too. I'll be shooting Easton aluminums with feathers. I'm 5' 5" and have a 26" draw so one of the shorter bows (Rebel) should not cause much in the line of finger pinch. Whatever I buy will be 40 or 45#. My state requires at least 40# of draw. What do you guys recommend? I just want a stable, durable, smooth shooter that is reasonably fast. Smooth and durable is more important than anything else. I'm not really interested in anything Bear offers and they only have two models that meet my price requirements, the Grizzly and Super Mag 48. Another problem is that I'll have to buy this sight unseen. I won't be able to shoot it before purchase as no one carries trad gear in my locale. Is there anyway to add a sight without drilling the riser and adding inserts?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22,135 Posts
JNG -

Go with the IMPALA or Kudu. Both fit all of your requirements. The only catch will be draw length/draw weight. First we (as in YOU) don't know what your draw length will be on a stickbow and 26" on a compound raises a few concerns, as it will probably be shorter on the stickbow. Also, all of the bows you mentioned tned to be under marked as far as draw weight, so getting something usable might be tricky. 40# AT YOUR DRAW LENGHT is do-able but pushing it as far as learning how to shoot.

You might also want to take a look at the Quinn stallion. I've seen it as low as $130 and will out shoot everything you mentioned. The idea of a take down is a good one as you can change limbs/weight as needed.

Viper 1 out.

· Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm concerned about all the limb twisting, folding over, and or simply breaking I keep hearing about. I kind of like the specs on the Reflex Nomad but at nearly $500 it's outside my price range for now.

· Registered
193 Posts
hey! i have the PSE Impala :) it was my first recurve bow lol i have the 45# one...

it has both sight and stabilizer inserts and an insert for those arrow holders that go on the right side of your bow as well!

im using this flipper rest that has a spring and im shooting these redhead carbon fury arrows lol...i guess it has worked overall...

great beginner bow for me :D i loved the sound of my arrow when it hit the target..just that big "WHOOSH-THUMP " sound lol i got this bow for like..350 dollars at vaughan mills

Edit: oh don't worry about the limbs twisting or folding over! i haven't twisted it yet so its all good haha and the limbs won't break lol i have a 26. 5 inch draw, but sometimes i get curious and i pull the bow string back to around 32 inches and its still holding strong...

i hope that helps lol

· Registered
22,135 Posts
BPT -

We've seen them by as much as 5# (and some are dead on) so don't be surprised if yours is really 55#. They typically have a stack point between 29 and 30".

JNG -

Any bow's limbs can twist if abused. Happily even basic care, like using a bowstringer and not exposing it to excessive heat, prevents that. Most minor twists and a sometimes major ones, can be bumped back into shape. Haven't seen too many laminated limbs "fold".

Viper1 out.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Get the Quinn Stallion...your first recurve and quite possibly your last. Awsome shooter...+1 Viper.

· Registered
607 Posts
I was in your shoes last year at this time. I went with a used Hoyt GameMasterII 40 lb. $370 like new. Shot my 1st traditional deer on Fri. morning. I will keep my UltraTec for target shooting but from now on Trad. for hunting. GameMaster has everything your asking for, bolt on quiver ,sights, stabilizer shoot off shelf or Flipper rest. Couldn't be happier with this set-up!!!
Good Luck

· Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked up Quinn Archery. The Stallion or Stallion Classic is exactly what I'm looking for. A mix of traditional (recurve) and modern (can accept a sight). And made right here in the US. A 3 week wait or so they claim and only about $280 for a 60" 45# recurve. This looks like the route I'm going to take.

· Registered
22,135 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.