Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was thinking about anchor points today, and if you line up your peep to your adjustable pin sight at 20 yards, and then move it to shoot 80 yards, do you change your anchor? this doesnt seem very consistant?
hmm.jpg

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
No. You raise the bow until 80 yard pin is right on the target, thus it raises the arrow trajectory, so it travels much farther.

·
#teamPSE
5,566 Posts
I think your movement of the sight is exaggerated. On a multipin sight you dont change your anchor and essentially its the same thing. you just hold higher to get the 80 yd pin on target.

based on your drawing the arrow is gonna shoot the sight :mg:

·
Lowered expectations
17,096 Posts
You need to set your peep for an average distance. Most field shooters set theirs for around 50 yards and scrunch up a bit for close distances, float a tiny bit for long. Others set their peep for the longest range to get the most solid anchor, and compromise at close ranges because you can get away with an iffy shot up close and still score well.

Decide for yourself. I move my peep a bit going from the indoor season to outdoors - I'm a "set for 50" shooter.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
no you're not changing your anchor, the moving sight is making it confusing for you
think of it as if though you had a 5-pin sight, what you actually do is raise the front of your bow so it points
more toward sky to compensate for arrow drop, 20 yd pin pointing above target
with an adjustable 1-pin you have to move the entire sight, no anchor change
if you took your 20 yd pin and knew that your arrow drops 5" for example then you would aim 5" above the target for that distance without moving pin
so now, are you changing your anchor? give it a try and see

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. You raise the bow until 80 yard pin is right on the target, thus it raises the arrow trajectory, so it travels much farther.
cant believe i missed that... :embara: one of those days. now i feel like an idiot haha

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
If using a single pin slider and if you match your housing to peep, you will feel slight pressure differances at your anchor point. Set the peep so it is comfortable at the mid range of your shot ranges. With a multi.pin it will not change, you simply raise the bow to the longer pin.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no you're not changing your anchor, the moving sight is making it confusing for you
think of it as if though you had a 5-pin sight, what you actually do is raise the front of your bow so it points
more toward sky to compensate for arrow drop, 20 yd pin pointing above target
with an adjustable 1-pin you have to move the entire sight, no anchor change
if you took your 20 yd pin and knew that your arrow drops 5" for example then you would aim 5" above the target for that distance without moving pin
so now, are you changing your anchor? give it a try and see
wait hang on a second hear me out, you do have to raise your bow to shoot 80 yards but all alignment should stay the same waist up, and you just slightly bend at the waist so no anchors have changed. with a 5 pin sight, your peep and sight ring are always aligned. but if you apply that to a single pin it doesnt quite make sense to me
hm.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
wait hang on a second hear me out, you do have to raise your bow to shoot 80 yards but all alignment should stay the same waist up, and you just slightly bend at the waist so no anchors have changed. with a 5 pin sight, your peep and sight ring are always aligned. but if you apply that to a single pin it doesnt quite make sense to me
View attachment 1625935
Look closely at your second drawing...see how you show your 50 yard pin low in the peep??? that is because you have to raise the front of your bow to get it in alignment...You DON"T lower the back of the bow(your peep and anchor point) to get it aligned...Oi-Ve

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
so i was thinking about anchor points today, and if you line up your peep to your adjustable pin sight at 20 yards, and then move it to shoot 80 yards, do you change your anchor? this doesnt seem very consistant?
View attachment 1625914

Notice that the front stabilizer is angled UPHILL,
for a long range shot.

Erika is probably standing on level ground,
and probably taking a 70 meter (about 80 yards) shot.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look closely at your second drawing...see how you show your 50 yard pin low in the peep??? that is because you have to raise the front of your bow to get it in alignment...You DON"T lower the back of the bow(your peep and anchor point) to get it aligned...Oi-Ve
but raising the riser of your bow would change the angle of the string if you keep your anchor the same. maybe im just over thinking like usual lol

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Notice that the front stabilizer is angled UPHILL,
for a long range shot.

Erika is probably standing on level ground,
and probably taking a 70 meter (about 80 yards) shot.
great to have your input nuts & bolts!!! none of the archers in those pictures touch their nose on the tip of the string, is that an anchor you loose for shooting a hinge?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
View attachment 1625914
If you have a scope like I do, a moveable, and a 40 pound bow like I do and you slide down to the 80 yard setting, Yep I have to change my anchor point on my face to keep the peep to scope relationship the same.

So when I set up my sight I set my anchor point on my face at 65 yards. set my peep height so that I am comfortable at 65 yards.
Now it's not as far as a drop out to 80 so my anchor point doesn't have to change much to shoot the 80.
However, when I slide up to do 20 and shorter, I have to bunch up a bit to keep things lined up on the short ones.

It works out better for me to be scrunched up on the short ones, rather than be really streatched out on the longer ones.

I never use a kisser on my field setups, because my anchor points do change.

my indoor set ups , don't have to change the sight I set up comfortable at 20 yards and put on a kisser button.
no sight changes no anchor point changes.

Oh and I don't use Pins, they dissapeared a long time ago. I mean I can't see them anymore.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,646 Posts
View attachment 1625935
Assuming a Bowtech Admiral,
set at 50 lbs of draw weight,
draw length of 26-inches
assuming X10s 600 spine with 120 grain points...

the 15 yard pin to the 75 yard pin...is a spread, a pin gap of 1.4 inches.

That's all.

So,
you just need to lean back,
so that your pin for 75 yards,
is only 1.5-inches lower, for the 80 yard shot.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
hoggernaut...

wish they would re introduce it with a fix for the fogging.

Would be even more amazing as a scope you could affix to another bar.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I set my peep at 40 yards for field. Otherwise I have a floating anchor at 70 and 80 yards! While you do raise the scope or pin, you also lower the back half of the bow (at your d-loop) a bit.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
For field like....like Stash mentioned you do have to set your peep at a longer distance. I use 45-55 yds depending on the bow. You will be scrunched a little at the closer distances...25 and under and a little looser at the longer distances. But your anchor WILL have to change. Not a ton but it will not be the same. You will need to move it to get your peep and housing to line back up. If you don't make the adjustment you will hit low. Otherwise you will not be able to hold on the dot.

With my old Katera XL I couldn't set my peep at much over 40-45 yds and still feel comfy at all distances at farther distances. But then it also threw my marks off over 80 yds. If I wanted to shoot 90m I had to give my sight extra yds to hit. With a longer bow like my VE or PE I can set my peep farther then 40 yds and still be comfy at all distances and my marks are good all the way back to 90m without giving my sight "extra".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
486 Posts
You need to set your peep for an average distance. Most field shooters set theirs for around 50 yards and scrunch up a bit for close distances, float a tiny bit for long. Others set their peep for the longest range to get the most solid anchor, and compromise at close ranges because you can get away with an iffy shot up close and still score well.

Decide for yourself. I move my peep a bit going from the indoor season to outdoors - I'm a "set for 50" shooter.
this

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
cant believe i missed that... :embara: one of those days. now i feel like an idiot haha
Sorry. I got problems. I should think before I post sometimes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts