Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a lot of bows over the years but never a hoyt. I think the reason being is because I don't quite understand hoyt cams well enough. They seem to have a few different cams then each cam has a few different numbers that go with it. So can someone help me in understanding hoyt cams a little better???

·
(aka lug nut)
49,708 Posts
I have owned a lot of bows over the years but never a hoyt. I think the reason being is because I don't quite understand hoyt cams well enough. They seem to have a few different cams then each cam has a few different numbers that go with it. So can someone help me in understanding hoyt cams a little better???
Some of the Hoyt Cams are draw length adjustable.
Some of the Hoyt Cams are fixed draw length.

Each cam number is like a shoe size.
If you have longer arms, then you need a larger "shoe size", so the cam number gets bigger,
which means that the adjustable draw length range is LONGER
or
which means that the fixed draw length size is LONGER.

Each Hoyt cam has a different FEEL, during the draw cycle.

So,
find your way to a Hoyt dealer and take a test drive,
and then you will understand better.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you be more specific? I am not actually sure what you are asking.
I hear guys say they have a #2 cam in the E slot or spirals or the z5 cam cam just wondering about the different cams Hoyt has. It seems like each cam has multiple numbers that goes with it?

·
Registered
899 Posts
The newer cams have a range adjustable draw lengths, normally a 2" range for each cam number. Each slot on the cam represents a 1/2" adjustment in draw length. I'm generalizing, but that is the basic idea.

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
Adjustable:

#1 #2 and #3 cams
A thru E Mods on each cam

#1A is the shortest
#3E is the longest

Each letter is a half inch longer than the previous.

The cams do have overlap though as well.

Draw length specific:
Bigger the number longer the draw length

0.5 spiral to 9.0 spiral is short to long.

All hybrid cams from Hoyt since 2004

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adjustable:

#1 #2 and #3 cams

#1A is the shortest
#3E is the longest

Draw length specific:

That's what I was looking for makes sense now. you say that some of them overlap each other is there a advantage or disadvantage to going with one or the other where they overlap if that make sense.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Google Hoyt Tune Charts, They have the year models & bows made for that year. It shows the Cam family string/cable lengths / limbs etc... Hop it will help you

·
Registered
745 Posts
There advantage to overlapping cams such as the #2 rkt cam on a spyder thirty goes to 28 1/2 inches in the e slot as well as the a slot on the #3. The e slot #2 cam is going to be fast because the cam is essentially smaller. But the draw cycle of a #3 cam is smoother. Now the rkt cam is one of the
Smoothest cams I've ever shot and most would agree but it's all about what you are looking for.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think the rkt is but I haven't shot the z5 yet since no lefties are out yet.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
In my experience the Z5 is a quite a bit smoother than the RKT cam. I own the 2012 Element RKT with the RKT cam and the 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo with the Z5 cam. Both cams are great, but the Z5 is "smoother".

·
I like elk!
18,527 Posts
There advantage to overlapping cams such as the #2 rkt cam on a spyder thirty goes to 28 1/2 inches in the e slot as well as the a slot on the #3. The e slot #2 cam is going to be fast because the cam is essentially smaller. But the draw cycle of a #3 cam is smoother. Now the rkt cam is one of the
Smoothest cams I've ever shot and most would agree but it's all about what you are looking for.
The #2 and #3 cams on the S30 actually overlap at 28".

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
The Z5 is one of the smoothest cams out there with a very nice back wall and a decent valley.

It's almost Spiral smooth, with a deeper valley than the Spirals.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
When it comes to Hoyts cam system that uses different size base cams and a D/L range with the modules I think it just get more D/L's closer to using the full range of the cam instead of one cam and different mods, then having to change the cam's timing to fit the D/L.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Adjustable:

#1 #2 and #3 cams

#1A is the shortest
#3E is the longest

Draw length specific:

Very good explanation !!

However, Hybrid Hoyt Cams birth was 2003.

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts