Archery Talk Forum banner

Confused?!?!

639 4
Hello, Im a 17 year old archer, and having trouble trying to figure out why I can shoot better on a 3-d target or just plain bag target better than I can while shooting for fun on a Vegas or a 5-Spot target. Why does it seem like my dot keeps dead on when aiming on a 3d or bag target than on paper?
Any Suggestions?

Thanks.
Nate
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,700 Posts
try blind bale shooting with nothing but you shooting at a bale with nothing on it in the way of paper and pick a spot and shoot it that way. the idea behind the vegas target does kind of mess with some peoples minds until they learn how to control their shot. hope this works out for you. another thing that is differnet when shooting a 3d vs's the paper target is you can learn where the vitals are and with a target the difference in the spot to hit is a lot smaller than the vital area of a deer
rob k

· Registered
1,021 Posts
One of the things that really messed w/ me for a while and couldn't figure out is similiar to what you're saying... At times I would be relax and do great, other times after 4 to 5 arrows I begin throwing arrows. I discovered I had a mild case of target panic and was flinching when the bow went off... As RobK suggested, Blind Bale practice is the best way I know of to eliminate this.

· Registered
9,804 Posts
just practice aiming and letting down. dont fire the arrow (be sure you load an arrow first). get your mind used to the feeling of holding on the dot without thinking about firing. its a mental training thing. do the blank bail too, but i think you problem is being comfortable holding on the X.

give it a go. youll be fine. good shooting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.