Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new bow for 3d. I have shot a hoyt cs34, still need to shoot an elite 35. This weekend went to a archery store and the guy behind the counter told me to forget the hoyt and buy a prime or the elite. He was leaning more to the prime. If it is a prime it would be the rival. Any thoughts on the above mentioned lineup?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Shoot all the bows you are interested in and make up your own mind about what is best for you.

Don't let some guy you have never met tell you what is best for you.

·
Registered *******
1,306 Posts
Your money buy what you like the best.

Shoot all the bows you can you might find something that surprises you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my honest opinion, they are all great bows and you should shoot them all to see what fits you best. That being said, after shooting several Primes and seeing many come into the shop for repairs and many many many on the used bow rack, I would steer clear of them. Check out the new Bowtechs (Prodigy, Boss, and Fanatic), the Mathews NoCam and the Hoyt Nitrium. Keep us posted on how it goes!

·
Registered
402 Posts
You are looking at some of the best bows out there. Myself don't care for Prime, but some do, you have to find the one bow that you like the most. Shoot them all and then buy the one that best suits you.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
In my honest opinion, they are all great bows and you should shoot them all to see what fits you best. That being said, after shooting several Primes and seeing many come into the shop for repairs and many many many on the used bow rack, I would steer clear of them. Check out the new Bowtechs (Prodigy, Boss, and Fanatic), the Mathews NoCam and the Hoyt Nitrium. Keep us posted on how it goes!
what was wrong with those prime bows? I know shops drop them because it took 3+ month to get cams in.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Shoot all the bows you are interested in and make up your own mind about what is best for you.

Don't let some guy you have never met tell you what is best for you.
Exactly! A lot of times the guy behind the counter will try to steer you toward something they carry and away from the competitor's bows. Any one of those makers would be a fine bow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
what was wrong with those prime bows? I know shops drop them because it took 3+ month to get cams in.
We have had some trouble getting some to tune properly, as well as the replacement parts issue. The ones I shot just didn't feel as good as other brands. I'm not a fan boy by any means; I'll try anything once, twice if I like it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I get cams in 5 days and once you learn how to tune with the flex guard they actually tune out quite easy. All are nice bows these days.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,100 Posts
Now, this is interesting.....

We sell Prime where I work. I own 5 of them. We sell Prime, Elite, Mathews, Hoyt and PSE. I just like Prime the best. I always shoot what I sell.

We have NEVER had someone bring one back in for an issue except one dry fire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know what to tell ya? Maybe it's our cold Canadian weather?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not claiming to be a Prime savant or to be the last word on what bow is a great shooter and what isn't. The OP asked an opinion and I gave one as a person who has shot and worked on many bows. If it works for you then awesome!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good advice, certainly agree with buy what you like. Guess when it comes down to it, its just like my golf clubs how does it feel. Look like I will be making a trip to Kentucky, no prime or elite dealers in Nashville that have a huge assortment of either.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My Prime Alloy is the most accurate bow I have ever shot and that's because it feels just right for me, while it doesn't for others. I would give them all a try. I went through two Hoyts last year and traded a 2013 Element G3 for my Alloy and never looked back. Every time I think about getting rid of my bow I think about how good I shoot it and can't bring myself to get rid of it. So try them all and find that bow you can't get rid of.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,041 Posts
Every bow company out there has excellent qualities that make them unique. Prime is no different. We are living in probably the most innovative time in history when it comes to archery equipment, so it's going to come down to personal preference more than anything. Shoot as many bows as you can and one will say "wow" to you.
Buy that one.

I give about as much credit to folks that bash a bow company as I do the folks that claim theirs is the only one to own. I agree with Poet, we carry Primes and they are an excellent bow with no more "issues" than anyone else.

Try to put more in your own experiences than others and you'll find what fits you.

Now, did I tell you how awesome Mathews bows are? (just kidding around....you get the point) :wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looking to buy a new bow for 3d. I have shot a hoyt cs34, still need to shoot an elite 35. This weekend went to a archery store and the guy behind the counter told me to forget the hoyt and buy a prime or the elite. He was leaning more to the prime. If it is a prime it would be the rival. Any thoughts on the above mentioned lineup?
Yeah, he's prolly trying to push the Prime cuz their new lol can't blame him too much though.
I don't know too much about Prime but they look like they have some pretty fancy/expensive cams in which they may need more maintenance over time but I'm sure they're pretty sweet just like any other bow.
Elite's I know for a fact are great shooters, efficient and a simple design that doesn't need too much maintenance to shoot lights out over and over again.
But yeah buy want you want and works for you. If you want something to tinker around with, the Prime might be the way to go. If you want something you can just 'set it and forget it' the Elite may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have a Prime and I set it and didn't tinker at all. And it's been the best shooting bow I have owned. Cams for the bow are no more expensive than any other cam(and I mean cams no modules). Cost me $100 dollars for a new set of cams.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Now, this is interesting.....

We sell Prime where I work. I own 5 of them. We sell Prime, Elite, Mathews, Hoyt and PSE. I just like Prime the best. I always shoot what I sell.

We have NEVER had someone bring one back in for an issue except one dry fire.
What is it about the Prime bows that you like better than the others you sell?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts