Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me guys. This is going to be a little long.

I just got a pristine 2008 Guardian from a local guy who bought it last year to try out and didn't get into the sport. He advertised it on craigslist and I contacted him and I asked him what the draw length/weight was. He said 28"/70# and he sent all kinds of pics of the bow. The pics show the upper cam is stamped CP and module is CP3. The lower cam is labeled +CP and module is CP3. According to Bowtech's spec charts, it is a 28" draw length module. I have always had a 26.5"-27" draw, and I knew I was getting the bow the next day, so I ordered a set of CP4.5 (26.5") modules.

I met the guy the next day and the bow looked better in person than the pics. I pulled it back and it felt great. Once I got it home, I gave it another inspection and couldn't find anything wrong, so I decided to launch a couple arrows to see how quiet it was. I justknew it was going to be too long of a draw, but I had to try it out. I pulled it back and it felt like it was made for me. It even has a draw loop on it, so it should be around 28"-29" draw. But it felt just right with my anchor point.

My 26.5" mods came in today, so I installed them and pulled it back. It is almost uncomfortably too short. My lead arm is bent too much when I anchor my release hand and I have to drop my head to get inline to where the peep should be.

I know some bows/manufactures seem a little short or long, but 2" short??? My Bengal and Diamond Rapture is set at 26.5" with a d-loop and they feel pretty much the same. I even took my daughters Bear Apprentice and adjusted the mods out to 27" plus a d-loop and it felt about the same.

Is this normal, am I missing something, or what? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Sounds odd to me, I shot my Guardian at about the same draw as all my other bowtechs with little difference at all, maybe a tad short, but not that much.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
My Guardian is right on with the .5 mods @ 30.5". The only real way to tell is measure the draw on a draw board. If you have the other bows, compare the actual draw lengths on a draw board. If the Guardian is not measuring 28 on the draw board, check cam rotation and specs. Some pics of the cams at brace would also be helpful. They will tell a lot.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that the arrows a shot through it are cut at 27". They are the same ones I use on my other bows. They hit about the same distance past the rest, give or take 1/2".

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the 28" mods back into it and it feels good. It looks like I bought a set of mods for nothing, but just can't figure out why it it is working out like that. I'll see about getting some pics up of the cams at full draw and rested to let you all see if something looks funny.

· ---------------------->
3,546 Posts
Bear with me guys. This is going to be a little long.

I just got a pristine 2008 Guardian from a local guy who bought it last year to try out and didn't get into the sport. He advertised it on craigslist and I contacted him and I asked him what the draw length/weight was. He said 28"/70# and he sent all kinds of pics of the bow. The pics show the upper cam is stamped CP and module is CP3. The lower cam is labeled +CP and module is CP3. According to Bowtech's spec charts, it is a 28" draw length module. I have always had a 26.5"-27" draw, and I knew I was getting the bow the next day, so I ordered a set of CP4.5 (26.5") modules.

I met the guy the next day and the bow looked better in person than the pics. I pulled it back and it felt great. Once I got it home, I gave it another inspection and couldn't find anything wrong, so I decided to launch a couple arrows to see how quiet it was. I justknew it was going to be too long of a draw, but I had to try it out. I pulled it back and it felt like it was made for me. It even has a draw loop on it, so it should be around 28"-29" draw. But it felt just right with my anchor point.

My 26.5" mods came in today, so I installed them and pulled it back. It is almost uncomfortably too short. My lead arm is bent too much when I anchor my release hand and I have to drop my head to get inline to where the peep should be.

I know some bows/manufactures seem a little short or long, but 2" short??? My Bengal and Diamond Rapture is set at 26.5" with a d-loop and they feel pretty much the same. I even took my daughters Bear Apprentice and adjusted the mods out to 27" plus a d-loop and it felt about the same.

Is this normal, am I missing something, or what? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
From what you have told us I see that you have a CP cam on top and that is a Guardian Cam. The bottom cam has a CP+ cam which is a Commander Cam. The CP3 mods are 28in mods for CP cams. The CP3 mods on a CP+ cam are for 29.5in draw. I am no expert but I have a Guardian and a Commander here with me right now and I have CP3 on the Guardian and CP4.5 on the Commander and I have a 28in draw on both of them. Not sure if this is correct but that is the only thing that I can think of, but I maybe wrong and if I am someone let me know.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CP3 is a type-o. I installed both CP4.5 mods and had this issue. The bottom cam is stamped + CP. The 2008 Commander cam is a CPK according to the manuals/charts. I can't find anything for + CP cam. The 2007 Guardians and Commanders both take a CP cam.

· ---------------------->
3,546 Posts
The CP3 is a type-o. I installed both CP4.5 mods and had this issue. The bottom cam is stamped + CP. The 2008 Commander cam is a CPK according to the manuals/charts. I can't find anything for + CP cam. The 2007 Guardians and Commanders both take a CP cam.
I am sorry, I just checked both bows out and I noticed that the bottom cam is the only one with the + sign. Sorry, but I know that I shoot a 28" draw in Bowtech, Mathews, Elite, and Martin so I am unsure why your draw would be any different.

· Registered
4,286 Posts
Correct, the bottom cam on the guardian does have the +cp and the top cam is just the cp. you also have the modules for a 28in draw length. I have those same mods and mine comes in right at 28in. measured. Also, have made sure you bow is within spec: BH and ATA?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did some mearurements. ATA is 33 5/8" (Spec is 33 3/4") and BH is just under 7 1/8" (Spec is 7 1/8"). I got infront of the mirror and drew all 3 of my bows back. The Rapture is 26 1/2" + d=loop, Martin is actually 27" = d-loop, and Guardian is 28" + d-loop. Looking in the mirror at full draw with my achor set, all 3 bows look look the same. I don't have a draw board made up yet, but from what I can tell, the draw stops are hitting the cable evenly. I really don't know what to think of it. My ATA and BH aren't hardly off at all and everything else seems alright with it. I will probably put some new strings on it in the next couple months and see what that does. I guess I am just going to set it up like this and go with it. If anyone has anything else to add, please send it.

· Registered
4,286 Posts
Yeah I don't what would be the issue since your specs are just fine. Possibilities could be string, anchor position (hard to tell without a picture and maybe your anchoring just a little different idk), and timing, again hard to tell without a draw board or someone else looking while drawing back. Good luck, let us know if you figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.