Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody

I have some questions about the Mathews Conquest 4 bow. I'm searching alot for options for a new bow and the C4 got my attention.

1 - Can I fully maintain it with a Bowmaster press? Disassemble, change cables, cams, limbs, everything?
2 - What's the difference between the Max Cam and the Mini Max Cam? Which one should I pick for 20-yard indoors and 3D?
3 - Is easily tuned, like, just make few adjustments to the rest and is ready to take off? Or is more complicated?
4 - Are the Cams draw lenght adjustable or fixed?
5 - Compared to an Hoyt Pro Comp Elite, how does it feel (In your opinion of course)? It's smoother, long valley? Back-wall is very solid or spongy like the PSE's? If you could compare it to a Elite (Victory for example) what's your opinion on that?

I know that the C4 is a wonderful target bow and I want to make the right decision. Unfortunately in my country there's no dealers where I could go and test the bow, so I'm assuming and checking everything before I bet.

Any more thoughts about it please feel free to comment. If you guys/girls can post some pictures of your C4 rigs would be nice too!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
#2. the mini max is for shorter draw lengths. only goes up to 29 inches i believe. the maxx is for longer draw. Most people prefer the mini max.
#3. The c4 is an easy bow to tune. just make sure your measurements are fine and you are good to go!
#4. the cams are draw length specific. you have to make sure you get the right one! also you can not change between the mini and maxx cam without changing idler and strings.
#5 the C4 is not spongy at all. it is a very solid wall. I dont know what the hoyt is like but the elite is good as well.

My c4 is a tack driver. it is the most accurate bow ive ever shot. my only advice would be to add as much weight as you can but that goes for pretty much any target bow. i also bought mine used. you can get a great deal on them here. good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@dbow: Hi there, I am from Germany and I am shooting an Apex 8 (2008) since a couple of years. My draw lenght (Berger Button) is 26.125", referring to AMO it comes up to 27.875.
I am shooting a 27,5" Cam.
I am now looking at a used Conquest 4 and wondering if I can just "transfer" my draw length from the Apex 8 to the Conquest 4 and get the 28" cam?
I have heard that Mathews sometimes uses a very "individual" technique to define draw length. What is your experience with your C4?
What cam do you shoot and what draw length you have ref. to the Berger Whole?
Sorry for my English. I am doing my best..

Cam Solo

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
@dbow: Hi there, I am from Germany and I am shooting an Apex 8 (2008) since a couple of years. My draw lenght (Berger Button) is 26.125", referring to AMO it comes up to 27.875.
I am shooting a 27,5" Cam.
I am now looking at a used Conquest 4 and wondering if I can just "transfer" my draw length from the Apex 8 to the Conquest 4 and get the 28" cam?
I have heard that Mathews sometimes uses a very "individual" technique to define draw length. What is your experience with your C4?
What cam do you shoot and what draw length you have ref. to the Berger Whole?

Sorry for my English. I am doing my best..

Cam Solo
All of the mathews i've shot have the same draw length specs. So if you pick the same DL you should be fine. I would call mathews directly with that question just to make sure. I shoot a 29 inch draw in the mini max. I'm really a 28.5 but with a button release since it's a little closer to the string, 29 inches works just fine. As far as berger goes, i setup mine to split the burger. Liam Grimwood does the same thing. You can watch a youtube video on how he does it here.

Good luck with your setup. Greetings from the USA. I have visited Germany once in college. Beautiful place and the music there, especially Opera, is just awesome! I hope to visit there soon!

Just a little something extra, if you can download podcasts, i would download bowdudes and easton archery podcasts. They talk a lot about target archery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#2. the mini max is for shorter draw lengths. only goes up to 29 inches i believe. the maxx is for longer draw. Most people prefer the mini max.
#3. The c4 is an easy bow to tune. just make sure your measurements are fine and you are good to go!
#4. the cams are draw length specific. you have to make sure you get the right one! also you can not change between the mini and maxx cam without changing idler and strings.
#5 the C4 is not spongy at all. it is a very solid wall. I dont know what the hoyt is like but the elite is good as well.

My c4 is a tack driver. it is the most accurate bow ive ever shot. my only advice would be to add as much weight as you can but that goes for pretty much any target bow. i also bought mine used. you can get a great deal on them here. good luck!
Thank you.

Need more opinions and need to know #1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for all the advice. @ JardelBR, I have taken apart my Apex 8 and my former Drenalin LD with my Bowmaster. That shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure you use these little leather pads to protect the limbs against the steel cable.
@dbow: Hey that sounds great, I am glad you had a great time in Germany. So did I being in the USA for two times. I have been working there in 1995 and I rode my bike across the country. Always met nice people!
Regarding Liam Grimmwood, I was lucky and met him once to shoot with him in a work shop. He also gave me the advice to always start with setting the arrow rest 21mm away from the riser. And than start playing around to find out the best set up. Worked find for me. Thanks for the advice to check out the podcasts. I will do!
If you come back to Germany. Let me know.
@canuck4570: Thanks for the link. You are right that should be the way to adjust. I read somewhere that if you order a cam for a C4 you always take the biggest figure and then adjust to the shorter draw length. I would have to take the 28" and then adjust to 27.5"

Take care guys! Thank you.
Be back soon.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Cam solo

yes that is correct if you take 29 you are able to go to 28

there are numbered post on each side of the cam

il you put the string on post 1 you have to put the cable string on post 1 also and so on for the other 2 post

take care

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Hello everybody

I have some questions about the Mathews Conquest 4 bow. I'm searching alot for options for a new bow and the C4 got my attention.

1 - Can I fully maintain it with a Bowmaster press? Disassemble, change cables, cams, limbs, everything? Yes
2 - What's the difference between the Max Cam and the Mini Max Cam? Which one should I pick for 20-yard indoors and 3D? I only had minimax so no comparison
3 - Is easily tuned, like, just make few adjustments to the rest and is ready to take off? Or is more complicated? Very easy. Doesn't get much easier
4 - Are the Cams draw lenght adjustable or fixed? Two pegs for a half inch difference. You can get a lot done with twisting on that very long bow string though.
5 - Compared to an Hoyt Pro Comp Elite, how does it feel (In your opinion of course)? It's smoother, long valley? That question is a little subjective. Spirals? GTX? Both bows can be adjusted quite a lot by knowing what happens when you start twisting strings and cables. The draw cycles are comparable, with the minimax Vs Spirals, with the minimax being a little smoother. Back-wall is very solid or spongy like the PSE's? If you could compare it to a Elite (Victory for example) what's your opinion on that? The Victory has limb stops, so there is no comparison.
That bow is one of the best target bows ever made. It may have more wins than any other bow out there. (could be due to length of service) The majority of Mathews pros seem to stick with it over all of the newer introduced models. It is a simple, stable, accurate bow. This coming from a Hoyt shooter that also has a Victory that is about to up for sale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your explanations so far.

@cbrunson: I use GTX in my PCE right now. In general, an Elite Victory compared to an C4, what are your thoughts?

Is there a half-inch configuration in Mini Max Cam too? Like 27.5 - 28 - 28.5 ?

Anybody has photos of pressing your C4 with the BowMaster, just to make sure. I mean, I've been really frustrated trying to press my Supra with it, which I found quite impossible/dangerous, the Hoyt is OK but is not the best experience in the world. So just making sure that in the C4 everything will be alright. Unfortunately there's no bow shops near my house, very few in the entire country to be more realistic and having a full press at home for me right now is a no go. And I know that in the begining some adjustments may require the bow to be pressed.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Thanks for all your explanations so far.

@cbrunson: I use GTX in my PCE right now. In general, an Elite Victory compared to an C4, what are your thoughts?

Is there a half-inch configuration in Mini Max Cam too? Like 27.5 - 28 - 28.5 ?
If I remember correctly, a DDR Minimax cam is adjustable from 28-1/2" to 29". An EER is 27-1/2" to 28". So on down the line. You move the end loop to one of two pegs to change the DL. With a little twisting you could easily go from 29-1/4" to 28-1/4" with the DDR.

First off, comparing the two is subjective based on the limb stops vs cable stop. The Victory is rock solid on the back wall and the C4 is even more spongy than your GTX cams. Neither is necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on how you preload before executing the shot. If you use back tension to fire a hinge for example, you may prefer the softer stop. It may be more difficult to get it to fire with the limb stops. Something has to give. It will have to be in your hand with the Elite. If you use a static preload, and rotate the release, or relax your hand as you increase back tension, the Elite would be fine. Or if you use a trigger. The adjustable let off and valley on the Elite is very nice, and you can soften the stops a little with the stop peg O-rings as well. For me it comes down to the grip. The C4 has a better grip. I don't like the V grip as well as many people do. You might like it though. I like the more rounded or narrower grips better.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
That bow is one of the best target bows ever made. It may have more wins than any other bow out there. (could be due to length of service) The majority of Mathews pros seem to stick with it over all of the newer introduced models. It is a simple, stable, accurate bow. This coming from a Hoyt shooter that also has a Victory that is about to up for sale.
Wish more would shoot the c4 for 3d. Awesome 3d bow too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there guys,

I am going to pick up my (used) C4 next week. Since it comes with a 29" Mini Max Cam I need to replace it with a 28" Mini Max Cam. So I am looking for a 28" Cam. If anyone has one for sale or swap just let me know.
If I have to buy one in Germany it costs around a 100,- € :-(
Take care and have a Merry Christmas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts