Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am new to archery, have only been shooting for 8 weeks. I am looking at buying a second hand bow and have pretty much decided on a mathews. I have two to choose from, one is the conquest 3 for $400, the other is the 2002 Rival Pro for $250.
Is the conquest 3 that much better than the Rival Pro.

Thanks

Dave

·
74,535 Posts
Rival Pro

Its one of the best shooting Mathews bows made today. Go for the Rival.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Daniel Boone,
I should also add that I will be mostly target and field shooting. It's very unlikely that I will do any hunting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After browsing the classifieds here, I'm starting to think about a protec or ultratec instead
Any opinions?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I shoot field and target with my Rival. It's one of the sweetest bows mathews makes. Great bow for shooting spots.:)

·
Banned
736 Posts
Cut through the muck--

If you're really serious about a target bow you might as well start out with something you're most likely to end up with in the end anyway--a MARTIN ;)

·
74,535 Posts
Ultratec or Rival

Both are great bows, I wouldnt mind one of the new Hoyt spiral cam bows myself. Both are good bows. My suggestin would be go to local pro shop and shoot some different bows.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Rival. All the way. I shot one just the once, and have been daydreaming since. The only thing that's ever come close was a Protec with 2419's, and that would have been useless.

Conquest is a Rival with less brace height and not much more in the way of speed. Bit of a waste of time, really.

JHMO

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
that's a very good price for the rival if it's in good shape..
That's about an average price for a used conquest3...
They are both great bows... go for which one you like
the best regardless of our opinions...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
As the proud owner of two Rival Pros I can tell you it is one of the most versatile and accurate bows out there. I have a camo one that I hunt with and use as a backup bow for 3-D. I also have a blue one that I bought from my buddy Mau, I use it for 3-D and some indoor this winter.

I used to have a Conquest 1 and really enjoyed it as well.

All things being equal I would buy the Rival Pro.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am in the same boat as yourself.

It looks like Hoyt and Mathews is having a real shoot-out and it is going to be contest all the way to the finish line.

I have about narrowed my choice down to Mathews Rival Pro or the Hoyt ProTec. But, the Hoyt UltraTec and the Conquest 3 still being considered. I may soon have the opportunity to try both a ProTec and Rival. No one seems to stock them, so you almost have to find someone that has one that will allow you to try it.

Go slow, seek one-on-one assistance if you can, and make your choices carefully. You can waste a lot of money if you don't.

We bought my wife a bow at one of those major mega-market type stores last month. They handed her the bow, told her to pull it and then they marked an arrow. It was at 24.5 inches. Then, 23 more arrows were cut to the same length. We now have two dozen arrows at 24.5 inches. Since then, we have determine that my wife's draw length is at least 27 inches and perhaps even longer. The bow goes only to 27 inches. So, we may be looking at a buying another bow to get the correct draw length for her. We told the clerks at the store that she was going to finger shoot. They sold us a TM type arrow rest that is unsuitable for shooting with fingers. The sad, and dangerous part, is that these people pretend to know what they are doing. If they would just say, "I don't know", then I would go get the information elsewhere. Of course, I would also likely buy elsewhere -- and that is what prevents them from saying, "I don't know".

The money today is apparently in hunting equipment. So, it is difficult to find experts when it comes to target shooting (spots), finger shooting, and target equipment.

The bow is the most expensive item, but don't ignore the cost of the extras. Arrows can run anywhere from $40.00 a dozen to $65.00 a dozen and you can easily buy the wrong arrows; wrong spine, weight, fletching, points, straightness, and cost. The clerk sold me $65.00 arrows when $40.00 arrows proved to be better because they were lighter. Then, add release (or tab), quiver, stabilizer, sight, bow sling, arrow rest, extra strings, wax, nock sets, nock pliers, and perhaps fletching, a jig for fletching, fletching glue, insert glue, targets (?). arm guard, arrow points, and it adds up quickly. Nylon fishing line works well for nock sets.

Thus far, I have purchased $170.00 worth of arrows and points that I can not use and can not return. Tomorrow, I plan to buy another dozen arrows for my wife, but this time we are going to have only two of them cut to length. We will see how those two perform at the new draw length (27 inches). We will have the other arrows cut once we determine that the performance of the two arrows to be satisfactory. Otherwise, we will try a different draw length and arrow length with two more arrows. For performance, we will use paper tuning, 10 yd. targets, and 20 yard targets.

I strongly recommend that you download the Easton Arrow Turning Guide and read it before buying anything. Go to http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/
It is the second link from the bottom.

Jim Holloman

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the input.
I currently own a 13 year old Hoyt Raider, and its about stuffed.
I have a bernadini k700 sight and 12 gold tip xt carbon arrows.
My draw length is 29"
It's just that I now know that I want to do this for the rest of my life, and I need to update my bow. I've been looking for about 4 weeks now. It's getting crazy though, who do you listen to?
I'm in Australia, and the nearest bow shop is 1hr away, the next 2hrs away, and neither store owner is particularly friendly or helpful.
Hence the post to this forum. I've only ever shot the raider because I'm the only left handed archer at my local club. So it's a litle hard to compare.
I've also found a couple of beautiful martin cougars for sale on the classifieds here. so now I'm really over-dosing with information.

What to do, what to do?

regards,

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all

I have settled on a 2002 Mathews Rival Pro in anodised red, paid $200 for it which appears to be a very good price.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice / input.

To Jim, the website you directed me to was of great assistance, thanks.

To Magnockman, I almost bought a martin cougar, beautiful bow, but just a little dearer than the rival pro and with what I saved I can now afford to get a new scope or stabilizer.

regards

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about it, I can't wait to shoot it.

He's also got a 2003 conquest 3 in Kiwi green, he wants $400 for it but you might get it for a lot less. PM me if you want his details.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Conquest 3

Oh yeah,
Like all good bows,
you stand on the other side of it.. Support it with right hand, draw with left hand:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts