Archery Talk Forum banner

What made you decide on your current bow?

• Top Name Brand/Reputation.

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Speed.... period.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Shot a bunch, this one felt right.

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • Price.. Bought the best rated budget allowed.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Package deal with bow, sight, release, quiver, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recommended by PRO or trusted friend.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Simplicity/Traditional (recurve/longbow)

Votes: 1 1.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What made you decide on your current bow?

What made you decide to buy the bow you own and deploy it as your primary archery hunting weapon of choice?

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
i bought mine site unseen because i heard from an inside source that the D350 would be the shiznit and he was right. i had 1 of the first 5 in the U.S. i've made it an extension of my body. i doubt i will ever part with it even when i do buy the Insanity.

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry... was slow on posting the poll :) I know it's not all comprehensive, just curious as to why you guys/gals shoot what you do. RJ

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
#1 reason........it goes to 32 1/2" draw.

#2.........decent BH and ATA.

Beyond that........I can make any bow work if I have to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
since i could only select one in the poll i did by price as that dictates what range of bows i will buy. but once i knwo what my price range is i will shoot everythign in that range i can adn find the one that fits me best. thats the bow ill buy.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I was shooting a Legend Magnum by XI at 80lbs for years and the new Force One came out. It was the first single cam bow I had ever seen/shot. I had my reservations though because the bow only went to 70lbs. I was told it did have enough "THUMP" to kill elk even at 70lbs. I had been buying bows from Ted for years so he let me set the bow up with my overdraw, sights, peep and stabilizer[He was sure I was going to buy it]. After getting it set up[I can set up an XI in about ten minutes] I took three shots and told Ted I would take it. This was Spring of 2000 and that year I killed my Ram and an elk. Today that bow still hits harder than my Parker Hunter Mag which is 5 years newer. Why do I pick the bows I pick, number one they feel right in my hand. But there is more to it, axle to axle is long[39" to 41"] and the brace height will except my overdraw and be quiet. The last is real important to me, it must be dog slow[250'/sec] so I can see the shaft drive into the animal I just killed.

·
Not a prisoner of past.
3,678 Posts
None of your reasons really fit for me.

I'd say shootability,(for me) forgiveness, dependability, and overall accuracy. At least 35" ATA with 7" ish brace.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
None of your reasons really fit for me.

I'd say shootability,(for me) forgiveness, dependability, and overall accuracy. At least 35" ATA with 7" ish brace.
My hunting bows are my 3D bows and in addition to being able to shoot well enough there to whoop up on most anyone and it has to be ultra durable since I often use it as a walking stick, climbing brace, simulated elk rack to rub on a cedar tree, and inadvertanly as a toboggan down a scree slope.

I generally shoot a "hunting bow" for 3 years, so it makes it easier to justify the cost. Brand don't mean much, but I'm also skeptical of the new upstarts (not because of the products, but of warranty and parts availability down the line). Speed isn't all that important to me (I also have a 29-1/4 to 29-1/2" draw) as long as it isn't a real dog that IBOs under 295 fps. I honestly don't shoot that many bows to try out; those that I have shot that were less than 35-36" ATA didn't fit me as well under all conditions so I don't need to waste my time trying them out anymore, and I don't like what most of the 340+fps bows do to my shoulder so I typically don't shoot them much either. As far as package deals go, I'd rather assemble my own package and most of my accessories get transfered from bow to bow because they've proven themselves in the field to be reliable (I don't think I have any accessory less than 5 years old right now).

My spec's might seem old-fashioned, but I'd invite anyone out to the 3D range to see if it still works. ;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
ATA and BH. I'm a 35-36" 7"+ bow kinda guy......always have been always will be. Tried shorter models and it just didn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't care what brand the bow is as long as it feels good in my hands and shoots well for me.

Accuracy and comfort are all that matters to me

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
When i bought my 350, i wanted a speed bow. I looked at the a couple different "speed" bows and every time i went back to the 350. At that time i didnt know a damn thing about bows. All i knew was every advertisement on tv talked about speed. So i wanted a fast bow.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Having owned many bows, I kind of settled into what works for me with regard to specifications. I like a bow with medium ATA, med BH, Barnsdale limbs, solid one piece riser, string stop, dual cam, quiet, and finally a very solid back wall. Speed being low on my list of priorities, but most bows out these days are screaming fast anyway so its an added bonus.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
My spec's might seem old-fashioned, but I'd invite anyone out to the 3D range to see if it still works. ;)
I'll take you up on that. Heck, I'm using a 6 year old bow.......but with decent specs. And........I've been improving.:wink: I've bettered my previous score every shoot I do, so not sure yet where I should settle out.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Im not gonna pick up the arrows you drop next time I shoot with you... that way at least I'll have a chance when you run out of arrows :tongue:

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a Darton Viper, 70-80# and shot GGII 2219s @ 74 lbs with steel sight pins and fingers for oh, 15 or so years :) Guess it was finally time to upgrade my equipment a bit last spring (and, I was constantly harrassed by hunting buddies/guess they thought my bow was old or something). Settled on the newest Alpine bow due to the urging of my local pro shop friend who sells all the bigger names, and, the Alpine lineup.. I bought mine on a "set me up with a quality hunting bow" (speed, forgiving, light, manufacturer warranty/customer service) for around a grand. Really like it. Should last me for another 15 years, right :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
There wasn't a reason listed for why I chose my present bow. I'm still shooting my old Mathews LX because I can still press it in my old Appel E press.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
ATA and BH. I'm a 35-36" 7"+ bow kinda guy......always have been always will be. Tried shorter models and it just didn't feel right to me.
I'm in the same boat.... I tried a couple shorties but always go back to a 35+ ATA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts