Archery Talk Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
1) do NOT move your arrow rest.
2) 20 yards, ONLY move the d-loop in the UP direction.
3) if you can get fletched and bareshaft to do THIS at 20 yards..

then, 50 yards will be better.

So, if you are already at "Good enuff",
do nothing.
Ok, understood and as my wife often reminds me "good enuff" is often the enemy of "best." So, next question: How do I get my D-loop loosened up to move? Also, the tech who set me up when I bought this bow a month ago put some serving under the top knot on the D-loop. Guessing that would have to come off?

·
(aka lug nut)
47,338 Posts
Hang onto the center serving with your left hand.
Grab the d-loop with your right hand.
Now you have to guess, are you gonna spin the d-loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?

When you spin the d-loop around the bowstring, and do not allow the bowstring to move,
the d-loop will travel up or travel down the bowstring. You gotta figure what direction to rotate the d-loop.

Ever use a wrench to turn a nut on a threaded rod? Rotate the nut, and clamp the threaded rod, so the threaded rod cannot spin. Rotate the nut one direction, the nut travels down the threaded rod. Rotate the nut the other direction, the nut travels UP THE THREADED ROD.

So, just hang onto the bowstring, and grab the d-loop and spin the d-loop around the bowstring. The d-loop will either travel up or down the bowstring. You want the d-loop to move higher up the bowstring. Try 2-3 rotations spinning the d-loop around the bowstring, so the d-loop moves UP.

When you have the d-loop moving UP the bowstring, after 2-3 rotations, there will be a gap between the serving near the top knot. GRAB the serving with some needlenose pliers. TURN the serving the same direction you spun the d-loop. The short serving will also CLIMB up the center serving, and when you rotate the short serving enough rotations, the short serving will again touch the upper d-loop knot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hang onto the center serving with your left hand.
Grab the d-loop with your right hand.
Now you have to guess, are you gonna spin the d-loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?

When you spin the d-loop around the bowstring, and do not allow the bowstring to move,
the d-loop will travel up or travel down the bowstring. You gotta figure what direction to rotate the d-loop.

Ever use a wrench to turn a nut on a threaded rod? Rotate the nut, and clamp the threaded rod, so the threaded rod cannot spin. Rotate the nut one direction, the nut travels down the threaded rod. Rotate the nut the other direction, the nut travels UP THE THREADED ROD.

So, just hang onto the bowstring, and grab the d-loop and spin the d-loop around the bowstring. The d-loop will either travel up or down the bowstring. You want the d-loop to move higher up the bowstring. Try 2-3 rotations spinning the d-loop around the bowstring, so the d-loop moves UP.

When you have the d-loop moving UP the bowstring, after 2-3 rotations, there will be a gap between the serving near the top knot. GRAB the serving with some needlenose pliers. TURN the serving the same direction you spun the d-loop. The short serving will also CLIMB up the center serving, and when you rotate the short serving enough rotations, the short serving will again touch the upper d-loop knot.
Ok, I tried this last night and the bottom knot in the D-loop will travel like a nut up a screw, but no matter which way I turn the top loop it doesn't move vertically. However, I did try some other things and got some interesting results. First, I worked some more on my form. I noticed from the video I posted yesterday that I was still lowering my bow arm and then tilting my head to meet the string. Now, I'm starting my draw a bit higher with the sight at or slightly above eye line and then bending at the waist (feels a little odd) to aim at that 20yd dot. At first I was nervous to be drawing so high, but now I believe it is correct. Bow/arrow are still pointed horizontally, just higher in space.

Also, I got the idea to mess with the nock position on the bare shaft. THAT seems to have made a fairly significant difference in POI.

The orange dot is 1.5". I did back up a yard or two to shoot from inside my back door because it's raining, so 22yd shot.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Ok, understood and as my wife often reminds me "good enuff" is often the enemy of "best." So, next question: How do I get my D-loop loosened up to move? Also, the tech who set me up when I bought this bow a month ago put some serving under the top knot on the D-loop. Guessing that would have to come off?
This is how I do it. Serving doesn't come loose like this and if your serving is a little loose, it doesn't make it worse like spinning the loop up the string might.

Reactions: dnv23 and ASH556

·
(aka lug nut)
47,338 Posts
Loosen the d-loop knots, and slide the d-loop up higher on the bowstring, say 1/16th inch.
Grab the upper tied serving inside the d-loop knots with needlenose pliers, and the tied serving WILL travel up the center serving.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts