Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been experimenting with a few different ones and here are my conclusions so far. First off, let me say that the climate here is probably quite a bit more humid than it is for you guys further south - and I think this is really increasing the dry time.

The Liquid Nails Heavy Duty is by far the best stuff for working with. You can shape it very nicely and you have plenty of time to work with it. It doesn't cake up on itself and you can run a tool through it making nice grooves mimicking bark etc. Also, this stuff hardly has any smell to it. I could work with it indoors and it didn't stink up the place at all. The dry time seems to be very long. Mine never did dry rock hard - it still has some softness to it after 1 Month+. I painted probably 5-7 days after first applying the stuff.

PL375
This by far dries the fastest, maybe too fast. As soon as it came squirting out of the tube, it had a skin on it. It was not nice for working with, because of the skin you really had to work it onto the case to keep it sticking to it. It would not flow and shape nicely like the Liquid Nails HD. It wanted to gob up more and roll off the plastic case when pushing it around with a tool. The smell of PL375 is also much stronger. This needs to be done outside. It will stink up the house good. This dried pretty solid for me in about 3 days, and by far has dried the hardest out of the 3 adhesives I have tried. It is a good choice if you simply want to get one done quick.

PL200
This is probably my least favorite. It is nicer working with - similar to the Liquid Nails HD (but still not as nice), but I think it's taking even longer than the Liquid Nails HD to dry. It has been 3-5 days (I can't remember, sorry) since I applied it, and it is very soft and squishy still, particularly on the thicker parts. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever harden up or if it will stay this squishy forever. I may have to rip it off and put something else on instead. The PL200 also has a very strong odor to it. You need to do this stuff outside too - otherwise you might find the wife and kids passed out on the living room floor.

To sum things up:

Liquid Nails HD: low odor, nice for working with, long dry time

PL375: smelly stuff, not so nice for working with, short dry time

PL200: smelly stuff, okay for working with, long dry time

If anyone has used anything different with better success, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

*(can a moderator fix my spelling typo in the title? Construcion = Construction - thanks.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use the PL400 and satisified with that
Me too. It does have a strong smell to it though. I had issues with the LN HD not hardening up after a week more times than I wanted to deal with. I have a tube of Power Grab HD to try soon also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked again today, it's been at least 4 days and I can pull the PL200 right off the case like marshmallows. I'm just going to pull it off and clean it up as best I can and replace it with PL375.

How well does the PL400 smear around when applying? What kind of dry time? And how hard does it get?

·
Registered
480 Posts
it sets up quick. Its hard in 2-3 days depending on how thick it is. It has the skin on it when it comes out, but working it around to form bark with a craft stick breaks it up. It stuck to a nice shiny black 1040 without any sanding. I've had it out in the woods for a couple weeks now and bright it in to finally paint it. It stuck out bad in the woods without paint, but I was in a hurry to test the cam I was using.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have used 2 of these the LN and PL 375. To me the LN stunk and took forever to dry. The PL still had an oder but not as bad and was easy to work with and dried fast. I liked it alot better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were you using regular liquid nails or liquid nailes heavy duty? I've never tired the regular but from what I have heard it doesn't work well at all, you need the heavy duty.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The heavy duty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts