Archery Talk Forum banner

Contained Arrow Rest...

1543 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  kpresley84
Hey guys, you all have helped me a great deal already getting familiar with the accessories for my bow (Bowtech 101st Airborne).

I have decided I want a Full Containment rest since I will be both hunting and target practicing with it.

I am rally leaning toward the Octane Hostage Pro. Some people say the brushes wear fast. others say if you set it up right it will last thousands of shots... What's the real story?

I have found some of the following: (But I am willing to look at other Full Containment rests you recommend).

Trophy Taker Xtreme Full Containment Top Slot Rest

QAD Ultra-Rest HD Pro Series

Octane Hostage Pro Rest

Carolina Archery Whisker Biscuit

What route do you guys think I should go? Looking for your expert advice :)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Hunting is one thing but if your going to be target shooting and throwing alot of arrows, I would NOT recommend the Hostage. They do wear out even in a properly tuned bow. Mine lasted about 100 shots before I saw signs of wear.

The QAD rest is one of the finest made and would be a great choice .

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
two best choices i think, WB or QAD HD. I have 2 QADs now and love them, you can get them online for under $100 so if the price is ok then i would say get that but if you only wanna spend $50/60 then go with the WB.
Just worried about fletching clearance and the 101st Airborne.

Some users have been reporting problems with contact and ended up going with the Limbdriver (which is not a contained rest).
Do you think the Hostage is no good?

Also, where can you get them for $100?????

· Registered
5,341 Posts
The Whisker Biscuit is the best hunting rest available. Properly set up they do not damage quality vanes, are quiet, accurate and with no moving parts simple. KISS

These VaneTec vanes have been shot daily for over two years and show no sign if damage.

· Registered
96 Posts
I have always used drop away rests but this year i decided to go with the wb. I was hesitant at first. But after shooting with it i am very pleased with the rest. No moving parts, quiet, and i have not experience any fleching damage. Im shooting blazers and have shot alot of sticks since i had it with no damage at all.

· Registered
344 Posts
I should probably clarify; I bought the Hostage thinking it was better than a WB. It's not because of the wear issue. It is a VERY well made rest and the concept is spot on. I was able to tune it shooting bullet holes right away but once it was tuned and I shot it for a few hours I noticed the bottom bristles were wearing. I had not read anything online about the rest untill after I noticed the wear and did some research to find out why. My opinion is that my cheap carbon arrows are part to blame though. Their finish is somewhat rough not smooth and shiney like some of the more expensive arrows. Carbon is VERY abrasive to cutting tools so I imagine it would be to plastic bristles too. The WB has alot more bristles to wear out than the hostage does. The WB is not a target rest by any means but mine has about a thousand arrows through it with no signs of wear and will always be my backup for hunting but the full containment QAD has much to offer in the way of fletching clearance and micro adjustability.

· Registered
705 Posts
Octane Pro

Just worried about fletching clearance and the 101st Airborne.

Some users have been reporting problems with contact and ended up going with the Limbdriver (which is not a contained rest).
Do you think the Hostage is no good?

Also, where can you get them for $100?????
After using the Vapor Trail Limb Driver for the last two years I recently put a Hostage Pro on my General. It was one of the best things I have done to my bow. I still use a Limb Driver on my 82nd but from now on I will use the Octane Pro Hostage on my bows. My buddy has one on his 82nd with approximately 700 shots with no appreciable wear.

Joey

· Registered
2,464 Posts
Ripcords!

I have tried most of them and always came back to my Ripcords! Full containment, ease of set up, and iron clad. Not to mention one of the best priced rest for the money out there. Take a look at them, go to their webpage. They are hunters like you and I. Great customer service should something go wrong or you need a hand setting up. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone with new bowtechs and drop aways? How do they fit?

The do seem like the best option! Just want to make sure I won't have any fitment issues and that the vanes will clear the rest. Planning on getting Gold Tip XT's

· Patriot
5,055 Posts
QAD & Guardian

I have a QAD Pro LD on my Guardian. I like it alot. I have a Whisker biscuit on my Power Hawk, and it is ok, too. I like the QAD rest the Best. My next bow will get the QAD Pro HD.

· Registered
10 Posts
Containment Rest

Try the Bodoodle. I just bought one and put moleskin on the speed fins. It is more quiet than the WB that I previously had on my bow. It still contains the arrow but does not contact the fletching. I AM A FAN OF THE BODOODLE!

· Registered
211 Posts
I have a NAP 360 full containment which is similar to the Hostage rest, but the bottom of the rest that the arrow sits on is a grooved small piece of plastic. The 2 bristles on either dont last forever but if they get just horrible you can get replacements for $12. Mine are starting to get kinda fuzzy but it is still a tight rest.

· Registered
227 Posts
The man asked for full containment!

Check out the NAP sizzor rest it locks in like a biscuit or hostage but does not put all the strain on your slave cables like the trophy takers and similar lifting time rest. They are the cats meow of full containment!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews
http://www.newarchery.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.