Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell us your "If only" moment...

Did you miss that big buck this year? Or maybe it was a turkey, elk, or bear. We want to hear your story about why he got away, and how the RIPShot might have helped.

Maybe the sun got in your eyes, you couldn't stay pulled back long enough, you got buck fever, or you couldn't make that last minute call to stop him.

We will accept your submission in written, video, or graphics format, so be creative!

Each week in November we will be giving away a RIPshot to the hunter with the best excuse.

Entries must be submitted by Saturday night on midnight Pacific Time, on the following dates:
Nov. 8, 2010
Nov. 13, 2010
Nov. 20, 2010
Nov. 27, 2010
to be considered an entry for that week. Each following Sunday, by midnight Pacific Time we will announce the winner for the previous week.

You may submit only once each week, multiple entrants must use a different story each time.

If you are one of the winners in weeks one, two, or three, you are not eligible to win again during the following weeks.

By submitting your entry to this contest, you give RIP Archery full permission and right to post your content on our webpage, and/or social websites.

For Questions or Comments Please Contact us at [email protected]

RIPArchery.com

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess everyone has filled their tags this year LOL.
Just a hint on how the RIPShot would help I had three different people last year tell me they held over three minutes and were able to harvest the trophy and stated there was no way they would have been successful with their old release.

The video above is just an example to show the freedom it gives your shooting hand I've never really had a bug make me miss however i have fixed my face mask at full draw and tipped my hat to get the sun out of my eyes or grabbed my call at full draw with a buck running by.

Not to mention the RIPShot does really make the average shooter much more accurate even with adrenalin pumping because it gets rid of all the smaller muscles in the pulling arm. (those are the ones that shake when your nervous. )Hope this helps.

I know some people have some good stories about the one got away lets hear them. It happens to us all or it wouldn't be called hunting it would be called getting.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
No doubt Nat.. I tell you that you can hold rock solid for over 2 minutes no problem and I shoot a 70 lb draw at 65% let-off. I will have to time my longest draw and post...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I missed a monster 10 pt. last year because I forgot how to judge yardage. Oh yeah did I mention that I had just shot a smaller buck standing in the same exact spot as the 10 pt. was. Yeah Im a bonehead.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well it wasn't me but I was at the other end of the bush when it happened. A friend and I went out to our usual spot back home for a morning in the Deer woods. Got up at 5am, he picked me up, hit Tim Hortons on the way outta town because us Canadians can't live without our timmy's coffee in the morning ya know!! Anyhow, we got out to our spots before dawn, got settled in and then I get a call on the 2way. He asks if I got any TP in my back pack because the coffee is running through like a freight train!! LOL!! I giggle to myself and then reply back (gritting my teeth the whole time to refrain from laughter) no.

Now we were archery hunting and I had my compound with me and my friend was shooting a crossbow. We lived in Southern Ontario at the time and they are legal for archery hunting there. Anyways, long story short. He goes and places his crossbow nicely beside him as he gets down to relieve himself and as he does he looks up to see a 130 class 8pt staring him with his pants down!! I'm told he reached over slowly to try to grab the crossbow but the deer seemed nervous and he thought he was gonna bolt (it was only about 5 mins after legal shoot time started). So he dove for it and took a shot from the hip as the deer sped off missing it by only a few inches. But guess what he landed in!?! HA HA HA HA!!!!:eek2::eek:ccasion15::elch:

·
Registered
73 Posts
There I was perched 20 feet above the forest floor on a brisk November morning. A light coat of frost was covering the leaves and I had spent countless hours shooting arrows on the ground and out of my treestand. My hunting clothes had been packed away with every scent control potion, lotion and device ever created. I had seven hard drives full of bucks, raccoons, possums, moths and wind blown branches, I was ready for a brute to come slipping through and be deflated. I heard the war cry of the hunt, crunch, crunch, crunch. My heart began to race and my leg began to quiver, crunch, crunch, crunch. It was on this cold November morning. I could almost see the trophy photos and the backstraps sizzling in the white wine and onions. He came in and hit my scent canister, I drew back and the lights went out. In all my practice sessions, I had never shot with my facemask on and now I was looking into darkness as it twisted around my head when I drew to anchor. I couldn't see a thing and began to panic and become disoriented. I hurried up and let down and tried to spin around my facemask, but that buck didn't get big by being stupid. Without a grunt he was gone never to be seen again. A Ripstop would have filled the freezer and the wall above the mantel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stories lets keep them coming I know there is more good stories out there.

·
Banned
493 Posts
I've got one from rifle season and my daughter, hope it counts.
We went out this past Sunday morning and started rattling and I didn't even finish my first series when a pretty good 150-155 class whitetail came to the edge of the bush. It was poplar willow mix. He stayed back about 10 feet and was at about 20 yards. I whispered to my daughter if she wanted him and she said she didn't have a good shot. I told her to lean forward or back and see if she could take the shot. Next thing I know The rifle cracked and the buck turned and ran, didn't go far and I told her to put another round in the chamber and be ready. I rattled and gave a grunt and he came to the edge again again, this time about 30yards away. She had the gun up and asked me about the shot and told her to put the crosshairs on the righthand side of a six inch poplar tree and squeeze. She did and caught the tree and the deer spun and was gone. I went and looked at the spot the deer was standing. There I stood in a patch of hair spread over 3' x 4' area. We looked for a couple of hours and found not one speck of blood. When we came back to the spot where she shot from I went and looked at where she first shot at the deer. Nothing, until I was coming back out of the bush and I found a bullet hole through a tree. I asked her why her bullet went into a tree directly behind the deer's head and she told me all her boyfriends from school that hunt told her that if a deer is less than 50 yards away you shoot it in the head. I gave her the look that said it all, apparently. I gave her a confused look and a "WHAT?" with my hands raised. Smiling all the while. Her deer to miss and I laughed and straightened that out right smartly. Poor deer had that bullet whistle right between his ears and game back for more. She won't be making anymore "HEADSHOTS" in awhile. Her deer to miss I guess, but can rest assured there will be no more headshots and we laughed about it the rest of the day. We did manage to rattle in 2 more respectable deer, but not like the first. lol I don't care she missed the first shot and too see how hard she looked with me after the second shot to find a trace of blood was enough for me to know I did atleast one thing right with her! We spent 3 hrs looking and the deer is down a couple of lives. lol She has alot to learn. This is her second season and last year her deer dropped in his tracks at 40 yards, so, yes she can shoot. Think the horns made her nervous! lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny/yet sad story of my misfortune

I'm new to archery and just started back hunting after a five year recovery period. In south Alabama my dad always took me hunting Dec. 25th through Christmas & I loved it unfourtanly he passed away, so my hunting went with him. Three months ago a friend needed money & had an HCA tss bow he needed to get rid of. I liked the feel and weight of bow so I bought it & I'm hooked now for sure. My family has some hunting land that had not been taken care, so I took on the challenge got food plots ready for hunting season. HOW "RIPShot" COULD HAVE HELPED ME: In my ladder stand 20 yards off my food plot I had been in stand 6 hours & back hurting, stiff from not being use to the long sit in my stand. Well I looked up to see a 6 point on the plot, so I ease up from sitting position get bow raised up began to draw the buck looks right at me I'm still half drew back my ARMs/Back burning, deer finally put head down & I can't hold bow back any more due to fatigue I had let draw off bow and just let off to quick arrow came off string hits ever piece of metal stand & deer takes off. (I know with the ripshot I could have held bow at half draw longer as my arms and muscles would have been burning and just maybe could have made dad proud that I got my first deer without him being by my side but up high watching me) Kind of feels good to get this off my chest & be able to do what I love which is hunting and my new found love BOW HUNTING as gun hunting is not challenging enough for me personally. Thanks guys for letting me share my story, Tim

·
Muck Me?
3,380 Posts
This story happened almost 20 years ago while hunting with my grandfather. He had walked out of the woods and placed his bow on the back of his truck. Walked up to the cab to grab his lunch. Just as he sat down on a log eating his ham sandwitch and big 8 pointer came walking out of the woods and his bow was 25 feet away in the bed of the truck. He hadent seen a deer all day and the one he did see he had no way of getting a shot on it. About a minute later me and my dad walked out of the woods to my grandfather all exited , flalling his arms and still eating that sandwitch. My grandfather now has stage 4 lung cancer and this will be one of those stories i will never forget about him.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last weeks winner has been notified keep the stories coming we are giving another one away this week. Be creative

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Giving another RIPShot away this week keep up the stories you might be surprised what the RIPShot can do for you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today is the last day this week. We loved last weeks entries!

You can enter here, or by emailing to [email protected].

Don't miss out on your chance to win. You have 'til midnight Pacific time tonight.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final week...only three days left at a chance to win your RIPshot.

Submit your stories here, or email to [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts