Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, being that somehow credibility (not sure why) is given to those with higher post counts. I know that some sites don't add post counts to off topic subjects or areas. What say you? Wouldn't that save a tremedous amount of band width.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have noticed some have post counts as high as 10.000++. That to me does not me they are more knowledgable. They just spend to much time on there computer, instead of practicing and trying to improve there shooting or hunting skills. They need a life.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
There's a story in the paper today about a 77 year old man who lost $230,000 in a Nigerian bank computer scan.

The point is, think for yourself and don't believe everything you see on the Internet. There's some very good information here, and some not-so-good information here. Just looking at someone's post count as the only source of credibility is lazy.

·
74,535 Posts
I have to ask

Does anyone give more credit for higher post count. I dont and dont even understand why we have post count.

Does it really matter.

I garantee I shoot my bow everyday and it shows. I am here because Im an addict. Plain and simple. I read lots of threads and take the advice or leave it, I never look at there post count:confused:
DB

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My goodness DB has a lot of AT time...I think addict is putting it lightly!

·
74,535 Posts
Hunting season coming soon

YellowHawkk said:

Slows down the AT time for sure. Quess there worse things in life and AT sure beats TV:tongue: If Im not here Im shooting my bow.
DB

·
Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
YellowHawkk said:
What else is there to do in OK?

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Elk in CO said:
Oklahoma is a great place for cousins to meet and marry.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
dgf41 said:
I have noticed some have post counts as high as 10.000++. That to me does not me they are more knowledgable. They just spend to much time on there computer, instead of practicing and trying to improve there shooting or hunting skills. They need a life.
Hey! You can't make a post like that until you reach 101 posts!! :wink:

·
74,535 Posts
Well

Elk in CO said:

I had plans to hang some lights for a buddy today [email protected] here. Outdoors and its raining, thank goodness for the rain.

Then I was going to go scout the woods, wont be doing that in the rain/mud. No shoots in the area:sad: thats out of the picture.

Will be shooting some rounds for next weeks 900 rounds today. Might go hang out at the pro shop and BS.

Making sloppy Joes out of deer meat later.

Thats life in Ok.
DB

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
You can't hit the high post counts without one of these:

·
74,535 Posts
Whats the funnel for?

bigrackHack said:

Need that in the tree stand. :wink:
DB

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
bigrackHack said:

I thought that's what the empty Mt. Dew bottles were for.. But, make sure you mark the empties.. :eek:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I would not give anyone credibility because of their post count#, but then again someone that may be very knowledgeable and hardly ever post may not get credibility either simply because you haven't heard from them enough to trust their judgement. Some things in archery are hard and fast but lots of things are simply a matter of opinion. We all have them regardless of how much or how little experience we have:)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Post count is an interesting topic on most web forums. A high post count isn’t indicative of expertise in the subject, or even commitment to the topic.

I’ve seen on several web forums where people will hit new posts and post the “appropriate” smiley on ever new post they find. Thereby adding absolutely nothing new to a discussion and having a massive post count. Even worse that kind of behavior if taken up by a web community causes people to never read a thread past the first or second post. Refining or explaining posts get lost in the noise.

On the other end of the spectrum I’ve been on web forums where “THE” most respected poster I think only has 100 or so posts after a couple years. His posts read like a full length magazine article on the topic area filled with excellent and erudite points. That particular poster only starts threads and never replies after he’s started one (though he replies to private messages quickly).

Post count and join date can be an indicator to the commitment of a poster to a community. Further a long time poster with a high post count will have some understanding of the history of the community. Though posting is not necessary for that historical context. My six year olds have never posted on AT, but I read some of the hunting stories to them (edited often for content.. ahem). They read over my shoulder about how to shoot better and absolutely love critiquing peoples form (LOL!).

I think somewhere in the middle of that continuum is where most people want to be. Oh, and post count is tracked by the database anyways (and several other statistics) and effects bandwidth in no particular way.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
There are very few if any members with high post counts that are not knowledgable archers,and the high post count indicates a willingness to help others.
The high post count archers are the ones who helped create the personality of AT with the guidance of admin. and mods. of course.
The credit for a successful site such as AT goes to a single company and a lot of people behind the scenes,but the membership is what keeps this ship steaming ahead.
There is no reward for high post counts,so why would someone do it, other than to further the sport of archery?

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry

heavy dart said:
There are very few if any members with high post counts that are not knowledgable archers,and the high post count indicates a willingness to help others.
The high post count archers are the ones who helped create the personality of AT with the guidance of admin. and mods. of course.
The credit for a successful site such as AT goes to a single company and a lot of people behind the scenes,but the membership is what keeps this ship steaming ahead.
There is no reward for high post counts,so why would someone do it, other than to further the sport of archery?
brother, this is not true. There are some on here and have been in the past, who post absolute drivel, have you looked at the number post in mutantville. I know we don't compare mutantville but someone there pops in here and brings with them a couple of thousand numbers. IMO I think the problem of putting smilies and one word answers would be solved if we didn't accrue posts that are off topic, especially in mutantville. We always see the one who shows up and in a period of about 3 months build about 2k posts and then disappears. Only to show up every once in a while to make thier pressence known.I know, I've been here long enough to figure out who brings value to what they say but someone new (especially younger) can be steered wrong by a so called "veteran". I agree with DB, why even have a post count. I find myself looking at someone with only a few posts and might not take as seriously what is said because they haven't "proven" themselves yet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts