Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always tried to keep my deer closer to medium rare but I stuffed a couple of back straps and I want to put them on the pit.
Anyone have any experience cooking them all the way through low and slow like it was a pork or beef roast? Any tips would be appreciated.

I soaked them for a day in milk and Italian dressing then stuffed with onions bellpeppers garlic seasoning and jalapeños. Going to let them marinate over night and then cook tomorrow.

Pic for reference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
THe only roasts I ever had were the ones my step mother made and they were terrible! LOL I'll be tuning in on this thread to see what everyone else has to say because I usually just have all mine sliced up for frying and then I make burger meat out of some (mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with beef sometimes to keep it moist). SHould be an interesting thread.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've fried plenty of blackstrap so I'm just looking for something different. I've been trying to substitute deer for all my other red meats.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Hot fire so bacon cooks quick but leaves the venison less done. I like to stuff mine with jalepenos, cream cheese, and mozzarella. Wrap in bacon and grill. NO marinade!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Never soaked any meat unless it was marinade , milk - why ? Catfish maybe .
Secondly why cook it past med ? Sounds like your trying to wreck straps not cook them imo.
Last couple i cut it in 1/3s and injected marinade and deep fried them for about 3 min. - WOW , bloody rare and delicious .I used to wreck my venison low and slow well done , no more.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Never soaked any meat unless it was marinade , milk - why ? Catfish maybe .
Secondly why cook it past med ? Sounds like your trying to wreck straps not cook them imo.
Last couple i cut it in 1/3s and injected marinade and deep fried them for about 3 min. - WOW , bloody rare and delicious .I used to wreck my venison low and slow well done , no more.
I'd guess he's thinking it needs to be well to cook the bacon???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me clarify. I've never tried cooking one slow but I have a window to put it on tomorrow and them I will be busy for a couple hours up until almost the time I plan to serve it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You soak meat in milk to get rid f the gamey tase.,so they say anyway.I have never done it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not wanting to cook it well done. I prefer anything medium rare. Just asking if it's an option due to time constraints.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I'm not wanting to cook it well done. I prefer anything medium rare. Just asking if it's an option due to time constraints.
I've had it well done. Not near as good but with the bacon I'm sure it will still be good. That far helps a LOT!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Thats how I do mine on the grill but I wrap them in aluminum foil until they are almost done, then take the foil off to get a nice crisp on the outside. I also stuff onions in the foil so they suck up all the good juices. The milk takes the iron taste out of the meet. I dont think it changes much on most meats but it is must if you cook liver. Buttermilk does the best, dont know why but thats how my grand pappy always does his. :tongue:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Loin roast or nice thick chunks of steak meet only need Montreal steak seasoning and a 600 degree grill and about 7-10 minutes per side. Perfect!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just wrap them in bacon and put a Treager seasoning on them. Put them on my Webber and sear both sides then put on my Treager on Med for 40 mins. No complaints so far. We have a feed for my friends in the shop once a year and have what we have killed and caught. Usually crappie, duck, bass and deer. The deer staeks are always the first to go.

·
Back down to ground level
16,308 Posts
My deer is in the freezer the day it's shot, so I don't have any gamey taste to cover up. I pour Italian dressing over 1/3 of a loin just before cooking it in a foil pack, top it with slices of fresh green pepper and onion, and a little garlic, then cook it on the grill at 300 degrees for 10 minutes, then flip and cook another 8 minutes. Juices all stay in the pack.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have never smoked a deer loin, but I have slow cooked many deer roast in the crock pot. I just cooked a roast in the crock pot last week that was still frozen, first time I have done that and it still turned out good. I just put the roast in the crock pot salt and pepper it and add a large can of progresso mushroom soup. Cook on low for six hours remove roast with tongs slice put sliced roast back in gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes and a side veggie.

A variation to the above recipe is fix the roast the same as above, but cut it into small pieces, then steam diced potatoes, carrots, and peas salt and pepper them and add the diced veggies to the roast and gravy. Open a can of pop and fresh biscuits flatten them out a little take a flattened biscuit and line a cup cake pan with it. Spoon venison veggie mixture into each of the biscuit lined cup cake molds in the pan. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350 until biscuit is golden and cheese is melted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's fine how it is. Just throw it in the oven at low 225-250 while you are gone. When you get home turn on the broiler and touch it off. enjoy

Actually if you are going to leave the juice in can turn it up 300ish. Ether way enjoy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's fine how it is. Just throw it in the oven at low 225-250 while you are gone. When you get home turn on the broiler and touch it off. enjoy

Actually if you are going to leave the juice in can turn it up 300ish. Ether way enjoy.
I think so too, looks good in the picture it's hard to go wrong with bacon added. I always butterfly my back straps and leave the inner tenderloin whole. I like them cooked medium rare.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
THe only roasts I ever had were the ones my step mother made and they were terrible! LOL I'll be tuning in on this thread to see what everyone else has to say because I usually just have all mine sliced up for frying and then I make burger meat out of some (mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with beef sometimes to keep it moist). SHould be an interesting thread.
I cook roast a lot. Love neck roast which most people shy from....here is how I do it:

Put the roast in a covered pot with minced onion and garlic (one large onion and two heads of garlic), add about a cup of beef stock.
Cook on low for 6 or so hours covered. Remove your roast from the pot and remove all the tendons in the meat. They will come out very easy. Then set roasts aside. Pour the juice in a bowl and dry out your pot.

Make a roux with flour and butter and add your juice back to it making a thick gravy. Add Tony Cacheries creole seasoning to taste and then add roast back to gravy and seperate with a fork (like pulled pork). Eat on buns like a hot beef sandwhich or serve with mashed potatoes and corn or over rice with a salad...no matter how you eat it it's damn good!! Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I've always tried to keep my deer closer to medium rare but I stuffed a couple of back straps and I want to put them on the pit.
Anyone have any experience cooking them all the way through low and slow like it was a pork or beef roast? Any tips would be appreciated.

I soaked them for a day in milk and Italian dressing then stuffed with onions bellpeppers garlic seasoning and jalapeños. Going to let them marinate over night and then cook tomorrow.

Pic for reference.
I don't stuff mine but do wrap them in bacon and cook them on the grill, low heat to get the bacon crispy but keep the meat from overcooking. My usual method for checking how meat is done is used. Simply push on the meat with your index finger to check it. The stiffer it gets to the touch the more "done" the meat is. Enjoy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
my preferred method of cooking straps (slice into 1.25" thk pieces) is grilling, dry season (no oils or dressings as IMO makes the meat burn fast), hi heat and seer, turn down heat, take off med pink inside, juicy. family freaks over this.

second is to take same slices, olive oil, in a glass pan, covered, in oven 325 for 50 min. again, dry season to taste

3rd is to coat with flour, fry in oil, bake serve with gravy

Like I say in restaurants when they ask if I want steak sauce...if I need it, the steak goes back. I like the taste of the meat, and light seasoning is ok, but stuffing, bacon, injections, bottles of Italian dressing ruin the meat

just my 2cents, everyone likes it different

1 - 20 of 23 Posts