Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great weekend hunting pigs and goats but my buddy shot a deer in its bed and it wasnt what I would call an ethical kill. Its not a shot I would have taken but that doesn't make me right.
What do you guys think???

Cheers :confused:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Where is there a deer season that is still open that your buddy could even shoot a deer let alone one that was bedded?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
We're always open here, plus there's bound to be a few other countries with open deer seasons!
I don't see a problem with the shot, if he did the sneak and shot it cleanly, I reckon its ethical, there could be a few different answers on this one though. Would it have been more ethical if he yelled at it first?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What's wrong with shooting a deer in it's bed ?
It's not a situation they exactly leave themselves open in,,,,and if it was a bit stupid,,,he did the rest of the population a favor,,,the dumb one's taste best.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Assumption

I assume you were on a preserve shooting goats and pigs. If that's the case I guess you probably shot a doe. If that's the case she probably had a couple of fairly mature fawns in her. I'll bet that bummed you out?? Just some assuptions here, if that's not the case, sorry for the suggestion. You really didn't give enough information.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting a deer in it's bed. You still have to watch the wind, stalk within range, stay quiet and draw back undetected.
The only time it would be unethical would be if you didn't have a clear shot at the vitals.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume you were on a preserve shooting goats and pigs. If that's the case I guess you probably shot a doe. If that's the case she probably had a couple of fairly mature fawns in her. I'll bet that bummed you out?? Just some assuptions here, if that's not the case, sorry for the suggestion. You really didn't give enough information.
It was on a mates farm in Australia and the rut has only just begun there.
Yes it was a young doe taken for its meat.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If the season was open and he had a tag then it was "cool"
Yup me two, Just need to hit the vitals. don't matter if its sleeping or eating they all tast the same.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Man if you can sneak in undetected on a deer thats bedded I say take the shot if its there...afterall, you are bowhunting and thats a challenge enough in itself..Lord knows I've shot a ton of bedded deer on the 3D course.

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,277 Posts
Not for me

Is it ethical? I suppose so.

Would I have done it? No. But I couldn't tell you why, other than "it just doesn't feel right to me."

If I was with him after the shot, I would have celebrated with him. He's under no obligation to live according to my vague feelings.

PS- I just read some more posts that went up while I was typing. If that's his main way of putting meat on the table, then I would have taken the shot for him if he wasn't nearby. There's a big difference between recreation and sustenance.

·
Air Bender
803 Posts
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with it. The doe was taken while bedding so the shot should have been clean, its not like he shot a duck on the water... Kudos to your friend for some good meat

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting a deer in it's bed. You still have to watch the wind, stalk within range, stay quiet and draw back undetected.
The only time it would be unethical would be if you didn't have a clear shot at the vitals.
+1

Wish I could go deerhunting now:sad:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
its that much harder to shoot one in its bed , when you r tracking your a hero to shoot one in its bed

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all

Thanks for the reply fellas...Bow hunting and archery are a new sport for me and I am just trying to find my legs. I am pleased to say that my first kill was a goat (no trophy though) but it was a double lung taking a major artery as well.
I stalked the goat from 150mtrs and shot it at 15mtrs. The arrow zipped through like it wasn't even there.
First blood now I am hooked.

Cheers:darkbeer:

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
Thanks for the reply fellas...Bow hunting and archery are a new sport for me and I am just trying to find my legs. I am pleased to say that my first kill was a goat (no trophy though) but it was a double lung taking a major artery as well.
I stalked the goat from 150mtrs and shot it at 15mtrs. The arrow zipped through like it wasn't even there.
First blood now I am hooked.

Cheers:darkbeer:
congrats on the first kill. would like to see a pic of it.

i like the bedded shot myself. one of my faves.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not unethical at all.
I sometimes feel like I am cheating sitting 25 feet up a tree with deer and pigs wondering around underneath me not knowing that I am up there and could strike if I felt the desire.

It takes a lot of skill to sneak up on a beded deer.
Or just plain luck to find an old deaf one ;-)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts