Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggest deer I have ever seen while hunting, 17 yard shot and I have no idea what I
Im sure he knows where he is at.

Did you shoot it and not recover it? If so maybe he dont
I shot him and couldn’t find him, 17 yards broadside.. I was even patient and waited to calm down, I aimed right behind the point of his shoulder, and when I released my arrow I knew it was a good shot, unfortunately I did not see exactly how the arrow hit the deer, the broad head went all the way through but the arrow did not. I waited 45 min and went to sight of impact and no blood, found a drop of blood 10 yards away and more drops leading to my arrow at 20 yards, arrow was kind of fatty with blood streaks mixed in. It did not stink or have green matter on it. I tracked for about another 20 yards, the trail was just tiny blood specks and it did not seem right so I marked where I was and called a tracker and dog to come out and find the deer in the morning. I talked to the landowner and told him everything that happened and he was fine with it and the tracker, later that night he called me and said he didn’t want anyone else but me looking….. i talked to him again that morning and still the same answer so I grabbed toilet paper and marked the whole trail up to 100 yards and nothing after that, I did half circles for two hours and the blood was just gone, I spent the whole day looking for him, checked the creek, the pond, everywhere in the direction I thought he was heading, and nothing… I looked again with a friend and we spent hours looking and nothing… I’m sick.. I can’t believe I have done this and right now I do not feel right getting back out there yet… I feel like I did everything right but clearly didnt…

·
Registered
182 Posts
It does suck and it is not something that you get over quickly if you are a hunter and not just a killer. Sounds to me you are a hunter.
Sometimes in the heat of the moment many people don't realize that they are not as broadside as you may think at release. Also, they do double back on the same trail and break off a completely different direction, really messing up the tracking process.
Good luck and don't let it get the best of you, get back to hunting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does suck and it is not something that you get over quickly if you are a hunter and not just a killer. Sounds to me you are a hunter.
Sometimes in the heat of the moment many people don't realize that they are not as broadside as you may think at release. Also, they do double back on the same trail and break off a completely different direction, really messing up the tracking process.
Good luck and don't let it get the best of you, get back to hunting.
Yeah he turned and starting heading another direction right when blood came to end, I’ve searched that whole place by now… I wonder if he Maybe ducked and the arrow hit high inbetween spine and vitals… I just keep replaying and only thing I remember is him running off, I knew arrow didnt go all the way through at first and I couldn’t see the arrow in him either, the nock must of been inside his body

·
Registered
905 Posts
Did something similar many years ago, 18 yards about 18 feet in a stand, deer down hill from me. Watched arrow Nock disappear into top of heart area. Found arrow covered in white fatty material, directly beneath where deer stood. I believe arrow hit a rib square and deflected down without penetrating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hardy animals, they have the will to continue living if not fatal. It will likely be local for a short time but tend to relocate shortly afterwards. Infection, definitely possible but I have shot deer that others have hit months or even following years completely healed over without infection.

Fill in that rabbit hole before you break you ankle 🤣

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve lost 2 bucks that would have scored over 150. First was a 20 yard shot that to this day I still swear was perfect. Very little blood and crossed property line, got permission to track but lost trail in a CRP field.
Second was a 10 yard chip shot, arrow glanced off a small twig and buried into the scapula. Buck ran and never left a blood trail but I still spent an entire day searching, confidant he lived.
Both of those deer are as fresh in my mind today as my last meal. I’ve never gotten over either one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I shot a big buck last year at 20 yards, broadside. Deer didn't know what hit him, stood there looking confused. Walked away to 40 yards, he stopped and i put another arrow in him. I felt 100 percent confident in the first shot, it was a pass through, second shot he was quartering away hard so I was not as confident. I was 100 percent calm in the moment when the shot happened, yet I never found the deer. Bowhunting can be soul crushing. I wish i could tell you it gets better and you'll get over it, but I never do. I spent 3 days looking, used a dog, etc. Failure sucks, so I gotta get better.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So much happens in that split second of the shot that it is difficult to precisely know what happened. Our mind may play some tricks on us because the shot is so fast.
Deer react so quickly too that it is impossible to tell where exactly the arrow hit. It stinks loosing one but happens to everyone sooner or later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for inputs everyone. I’ll for sure remember this forever, I had to teach myself for the most part how to hunt, so one day I’ll have this experience to share with my kids and teach them how to hunt…

1 - 20 of 67 Posts