Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CJ deadnuts hunter 3 pin sight with .029 fibers. I love it! Great sight. I made a modification to it that may be helpful to those who are used to shooting and hunting with single pin sights.

First, I centered one .029 green fiber in the center of the pin guard (green is the brightest color) at set it for 20 yards. Then I placed two .019 red fiber pins below the green pin as my 30 and 40 yards pins.
This does a couple of things for you:

1) Gives the sight the illusion of a "single pin" sight, as your eye automatically centers up the larger, brighter .029 green, 20 yard pin. Make sure the pin is perfectly centered in the round pin guard.

2) The smaller red .019 fiber pins make for more accurate shooting at 30 and 40 yards.

3) In the heat of battle, when you pull your sight up on a buck, instead of seeing 3 pins, you only "see" one pin. You will only see the other two pins if you conciously look at them for your 30 and 40 yards shots.

Hope others find this modification as useful as I have. This is the perfect hunting setup for me. I love single pin sights, but needed more pins for unpredictable hunting situations.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That is a good idea for a set-up. I shoot my Copper John with 10, 30 and 40 yard pin's(.019). My pin's are too close together with a 20 yard pin.
I found no benfit with .029 pin's or extra brite pin's they seem to make it more difficult to make out faint target's.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, the .019 fiber pins are more accurate when shooting beyond 20 yards, and brightness has never been a problem. They are actually quite bright.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts