Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried or used this release for 3D, League or Hunting? I am considering purhasing this release but am looking for some feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Love my Eagle

I got an Eagle from Kidron Sports Center in Apple Creek, OH upon recommentation from one of Ohios best archers. I have never been so happy with a release in my life. I started with a caliper and then the Mongoose. I started shooting the Mongoose with Back Tension and when the Eagle came in it was a fairly easy transition.

Tips from the pro:
Don't consider it a trigger release.
There are many ways to fire it, I shorten it up till it is deep in the middle knuckle, stiffen up my fingers and pull back. You will never feel it this way, and punching is difficult.

I did have to take it apart and polish the sears, they were a bit sticky. Then I put carwax on the sears and it is smooooth as silk.

I hunt with it, and will be 3ding with it too.

Jim G,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copper John Eagle

Thanks Jim G.

So as I understand it the release fires as you pull through and naturally tension your hand. Do you shoot it on a loop, or righ on the string?

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you hook your fingers on the release (nice and deep) you just pull and it goes off. The release head, being between the first and second finger balances out the weight on your first and second finger. You really don't know which side the trigger is on while in the shot, now just pull. Prior to pulling, you put tension against the trigger/finger bar. Now keep that tension in your fingers and pull with elbow. Shot goes off. If you don't put the release deep in the knuckles you will try to shoot by flexing your first two fingers...not backtension. Putting the release deep in the knuckles makes it almost impossible to pull any further with your fingers, hense the back tension is necessary.

I shoot on a d-loop on my string, and seriously recommend everyone do the same. The benefits from having the pull directly behind the arrow greatly overwhelm the negatives, if there are any.

Jim G,

·
Registered
321 Posts
The release is better with a loop IMO.
I have one and I think it is a great release.I have greatly improved since using it.
However,I'll probably keep using the Mongoose for hunting as there is an anchor point that I am most familiar with using the 'goose.
Who knows...I might switch up as I get more accustomed to the Copperjohn.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Jim G

Jim ....... been trying to get the wife to shoot hers exactly the same way & havent been able to get it thru her head , but after reading your reply , I think she understands better than when I was trying to explain it to her ....... THANKS !!! ...... ia bhtr

·
Registered
455 Posts
ia bhtr,

You know a wife never listens to her husband !!! Keep up the good work.

I'm glad I could help, your kind words made my day.

Jim G,

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you flip the the wrist strap 180 degree's you can shoot it with your index finger. I shoot my three finger model like that and really like it. I had trouble shooting it backtension style with my middle finger, but I know if I practice I would grow to like it that way probably even better.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I went to the CopperJohn booth at the Nelsonville IBO Triple Crown shoot. They demostrated it and let me shoot a Genesis using the 4 finger one with the velcro strap.. They told me exactly how to use it, and how to mark the strap so you could keep it in exactly the right place for consistency. I immediately went to Neils Archery booth and purchased one, not a bad price either. I think it is the best release I have ever used, I get a surprise release every time, by using the above mentioned method. Adjust it so when at full draw your behind the last knuckle on the fatty part of the finger. I pull it back with my index, 3rd finer and pinky, keep the middle finger on the head for an even distribution of finger pulling, at your anchor, mine is having the release right against the top of my jaw, put pressure on the trigger, and I squeeze and pull until it fires and bam, always a surprise if you do that, or it is in my case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts