Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the sport (and rather cheap). However, I did just purchase a drop down rest recommended by those in my archery club and I bet half of the guys are using it.

It is made by Allen. You know the cheap stuff at Wal-Mart. The only thing I have done is replace the felt provided with some thinner mole skin.

After reading the evaluation, I noticed that the Copper John ScaredyCAT Pro is almost Identical.

The Allen actually seems to have better containment with two longer prongs to ensure the arrow stays in the rest as it comes up. It also has a small rubber holder for when the rest is down (takes a little wax or armorall to keep the arrow from squeaking until it is lifted out).

Here is the kicker. The Allen is selling for just under $18 compared to $60 !!!! Wow!!! That really kicks up the bang for your buck factor!!

Thought I would throw this out there to see what you all think. ALways trying to pick the brains of those who know.

Thanks
A Rod

·
Registered
578 Posts
drop away

Wow- first time I had seen one of these products. Allen is starting to ring a bell now. Price looks good- Id like to see this product in next yrs.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Only drop rest I've tried. Easy to put on and setup. I have a problem with them though. It looks like my camo arrows leave a trail behind. That would seem t o suggest that the rest isn't dropping fast enough.
Can't beat the price. Simple but adjustable just like the big guys.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i had one on my bow last year and loved it.when i got my new o7 bow i bought one in AT classifieds brand new for 11.00 no problems what so ever great rest.thay have a bunch of them on ebay all the time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will say this... My guess is that the Allen product is an "Out of Country" Version that was made to mimic the CJ... When CJ put that rest together, I am certain that Doug and Eric went to great lengths to make certain not to copycat anyone... There are many companies out there that have tried to follow suite with CJ... Look at the craze they started with the Round pin guard... and then the Eagle Release, now the ScaredyCAT...

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Would be interesting to find out who really makes the rest. May make them for both with minor changes and private labeled. I do know who makes the allen. Not sure if the cj is also a private label.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Would be interesting to find out who really makes the rest. May make them for both with minor changes and private labeled. I do know who makes the allen. Not sure if the cj is also a private label.
There are 3 versions of this Rest....CJ's,Allen and Strike Force.A few sellers on ebay sell the Strike Force type for aprox-24$+shipping.Go to ebay in the archery dept and search Rests and you will see them.I put one on my sons bow and it works great.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
the strike force and allen are the same just the names and companies are different.got one on my bow and just bought one for my sons new bow

·
Registered
634 Posts
The company that makes the Allen is Game Warning Systems (GWS) and they have a history of taking products made by industry leaders and sending them overseas to be copied at a fraction of the cost(no R&D) and at a lower quality. The scardey cat was developed and manufactured here in the USA.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The company that makes the Allen is Game Warning Systems (GWS) and they have a history of taking products made by industry leaders and sending them overseas to be copied at a fraction of the cost(no R&D) and at a lower quality. The scardey cat was developed and manufactured here in the USA.
I've been waiting for someone from Copper John to jump on this thread. I'm glad that you have set the record straight :)

Anthony

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
$18 vs. $60??

I think I'd buy the Allen and use the extra $42 on other Accessories!

You can wave the flag and bash foreign manufactureres all you want but it doesn't cost $42 more to make something here in the states. A lot of people work too hard for their paycheck to help subsidize a company that either can't or won't be competitive on pricing.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
4x20 your right it is them. But so you do know the oversea production is a recent development for them. They have been made in Plymouth for some time. But like evrything else its cheaper over there. I will say that there copycat items are getting alot closer to the originals in quality. Being over seas probably frees some money for better mat'l.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have a original Alleycat and a Scardey cat pro

I have had the scardey cat pro on my Switchback every since they first came out....absolutley no problems.....

a buddy had one of the allens on his bow......had it less than 2 months and thing fell apart.....$18, you get what you pay for I guess....

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
the allen i had on my last bow was on their for a year and a half and no problems and the one on my current bow has been on for 4 months and works great

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
$18 vs. $60??

You can wave the flag and bash foreign manufactureres all you want but it doesn't cost $42 more to make something here in the states. A lot of people work too hard for their paycheck to help subsidize a company that either can't or won't be competitive on pricing.
Purchasing something manufactured in that manner helps promote this type of behavior. R&D isn't cheap. It take a lot of work and testing to make sure something works correctly. You have to pay the engineers for that time, and for the building they are in during that time, and the health care for them, and for the support staff. How is a company supposed to recoup that cost? By selling something $1 above production and distribution cost? That isn't possible. Buying from these companies is a GREAT way to ruin any development in an industry. Who is going to do the R&D in the future?

What cheap product are you going to buy in 5 years when there isn't a good product to copy?

It isn't all about politics of flag waving. Think about it for a second. Don't support companies that pull crap like this.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
$18 vs. $60??

IA M,
As 4X20 said, we developed it and manufactured it here at Copper John. Noone waived the flag or bashed foriegn manufacturers. the question was asked, "Who made the arrow rest and is it a private label?" We made it first and the design, prototyping, and then further refinement for manufacurability took hundreds of hours and more than $20,000... I have a signifigant investment in this product, GWS doesn't. Further, the Scaredy CAT arrow rest is part of a product line that employs 39 people... I believe you reference these hard working Americans in your post.
ALL components of the Copper John Scaredy CAT are made from Aluminum or Stainless Steel while the Allen product uses injection molded plastic in some areas and steel components that rust. Our product is superior in every sense of the word and costs signifigantly more to manufacture.
At the 2005 ATA I heard about the knock off of our product done by GWS and went to check it out. The owner of GWS was in the booth as I looked at what he was offering... it didn't look a little bit like our product.. It was identical! I just looked at him and said, "I hope you sleep well." He shrugged and said "A buck is a buck."
There is no point in being mad at him or worrying about him. Some people are like that. Do I blame the unethical conduct of GWS on a foriegn manufacturer? Of course not. But I'll tell you this, if you ever want to come here and see how hard the employees of Copper John work to provide the industry leading products we are known for, I assure you you will leave here thinking what I think of companies like Game Warning Systems... they are money *****s who feed off of the hard work of others... and I doubt you would support GWS or companies like them.
And as far as competitveness on pricing goes... you should do some more research on the drop away rest market.

Eric Springer
owner of Copper John and Stanislawski

1 - 20 of 38 Posts