Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our farmer that plants are 300 acre fields had a lot of left over corn seed and gave it to me to plant in my food plots. What is the appropriate depth for corn plants??

·
Registered
718 Posts
1"-2"

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
1" - 2" is what I've been told also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
1''-2''

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
go more towards 3/4 to an inch, i find it comes up better. i tested it b planting 10 seeds at various depths, the best came up at that depth

·
Registered
825 Posts
You have to plant it down to the moisture level. Up to 3 inches is ok. Most corn is planted at 1 1/2 to 2 inches. If you plant it shallower than that then the root will form on top of the ground and will not perform as well. Don't worry , it will come up and produce. Also it will need about 150 units of nitrogen per acre. I put it out at plant, and at sidedress in a split application.

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
Just make your rows add a little lime and fertilizer, drop 2 seeds every 8in. then go back and cover. I do not get to detailed about how deep, but i guess it is about an 1in. or so. I planted my corn april 23rd and it popped out of the ground saturday.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to plant it down to the moisture level. Up to 3 inches is ok. Most corn is planted at 1 1/2 to 2 inches. If you plant it shallower than that then the root will form on top of the ground and will not perform as well. Don't worry , it will come up and produce. Also it will need about 150 units of nitrogen per acre. I put it out at plant, and at sidedress in a split application.
We have alot of cow-sh*t..:shade:
Will that work for a ferilizer? Cause i am sure it has a lot of nitrogen.
We have a spreader too.

:shade:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts