Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I shoot a Martin Savannah, #[email protected]", but my draw is only about 26", leaving me around 42 actual pounds of draw weight. Now, when I first got back into shooting (2-3 months ago), I just bought some random arrows and began flinging them. They were 30". Since then, I have continued to shoot a 2018 @ 30" with good results. I get great arrow flight and so far, my philosophy has been "If it ain't broke....". So, the question I pose to you all is

a). Should I cut my arrows back a few inches?
b). If I do cut them back, will I need to change to 2016's?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The average guy shoots a 281/2" arrow, for every 2" over that you will need to increase the spine weight by 5# in wood or by 1 size in aluminum. For every 2" under that you will need to decrease that same amount. When you lengthen the arrow it weakens the spine, when you shorten the arrow it stiffens the spine. Feather Size has an effect on arrow spine also. Bigger feathers have the effect of stiffening the shaft.
recommendations for a 40 # Recurve Alum arrows is 1813, 1816,1913, 45 # Recurve Alum arrows 1816, 1913,1916

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
Matt -

If you cut the arrows down. odds are they will be to stiff. If they are working for you, leaqve them till after hunting season, and then start tinkering. Changing arrow length WILL change your "aiming" too, whether you believe it or not.

According to the theory, #50 @ 28" = #45 @ 26", using a 27/28" arrow, you're in 1916 range.

Viper1 out

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I never knew that feather size had an affect on the spine. I shoot a 5" shield, LW. The good news is that I love to tinker...the bad news is that it sometimes costs money! :) Thanks again for the help though.

Matt

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
Matt -

Sorry, but have to disagree with SR (slightly) .Adding weight to the rear of an arrow will stiffen the dynamic spine of an arrow, however, 3 5" parabolics weight in at 9-10 grs and 3 3" parabolics about 5. Seriously doubt a 4-5 gr difference is going to upset the applecart. Now, 3 5" std vanes weigh in at 45 gr, so switching from vanes to feathers or vice versa can show a change.

The other thing is that larger feathers may "dampen" tuning or form issues and make the arrow seem more tolerant - not the same as actually changing the spine.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Matt - have you tested broadheads with your set-up? Step back to about 30 yards and give them a try. You're shafts are probably too stiff already, and cutting them back will only make them stiffer. And yes, big feathers will make an arrow act stiffer [dynamic spine] and cover up some deficiencies in the arrow. However, in the field you may not have the luxury of perfect conditions, and those hidden problems may surface at exactly the wrong time. If you can, I'd suggest you go to the 1916 and tune it to the 'nines', think you'll shoot better and have an arrow you can rely on in all conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...I will have to give the 1916's a try. I have also shot a 2016 at around 28" and they did pretty well.

Mj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts