Archery Talk Forum banner

correct draw lengths !!

1528 Views 38 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  adam Guggisberg
G
Dang gum it...if a bow says its 29 it needs to be 29!!!:mad: tired of the so called 29 inch bows measuring 29.5 to 29.75
\
Is that asking to much ?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
3,312 Posts
Not Bashing

I had that same trouble with every mathews i have worked on or owned. If you want a bow with the right draw length you had better get it in a half inch shorter draw.

· Registered
487 Posts
Actually...if your talking Mathews...they are usually spot on.

Measured to the brace point (or burger button hole) and add 1 & 3.4" (AMO measurement).

Yep...this puts them 1/2" long if measured to the back of the bow, but this is not the place to measure drawlength.

And I can agree, this confusion does play havoc for dealers trying to get it right.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Dang gum it...if a bow says its 29 it needs to be 29!!!:mad: tired of the so called 29 inch bows measuring 29.5 to 29.75
\
Is that asking to much ?
that's what you get when so many want speed.
so the world is full of archers with tooooo loooong of draaaawww..
but heck the arrow goes fast and after all isn't that what's important????

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Times are changing. Elite and Pearson (for 09) claim spot on draw lengths. I believe PSE is there as well for 09. As long as people continue to be vocal about it...

Give me an accurate draw length and lower IBO speed on many bows and I'd be quite happy.

Nothing shabby about a bow reaching 335 at an accurate 30" instead of claiming 348 (or whatever) with a 31" draw.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Times are changing. Elite and Pearson (for 09) claim spot on draw lengths. I believe PSE is there as well for 09. As long as people continue to be vocal about it...

Give me an accurate draw length and lower IBO speed on many bows and I'd be quite happy.

Nothing shabby about a bow reaching 335 at an accurate 30" instead of claiming 348 (or whatever) with a 31" draw.
no they will claim 345 at 30 inches but put it on a draw board and you will find it closer to 31 if its making the 345. :confused:

· Registered
381 Posts
Finally had enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Picked up a new Hoyt 737 two months ago (my fifth new Hoyt) and sure enough I couldn't get it to Hoyts advertized specs (even though the cable/string length was spot on to their tune charts. I took it back to the dealer and we twisted the cables/string to get it to spec. The cables/string was almost knotted up they we so far off. After a bit of talking to Hoyt, the factory made me a set of custom strings to our specs.

LET THIS BE A NOTICE TO ALL FACTORY REPS TUNING IN.....

I WILL NEVER AGAIN SPEND HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR AN INFERIOR PRODUCT.

EVERY NEW BOW WILL GO RIGHT BACK TO THE FACTORY UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT.

BTW...HOYT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,978 Posts
no they will claim 345 at 30 inches but put it on a draw board and you will find it closer to 31 if its making the 345. :confused:
that's what I meant. I've seen some go over 1" long. Incredible. It gets really silly when we start talking draw specific cams. If most people realize that the draw is going to run .5" long and order a size down, who are they fooing? Its too bad for those that don't realize.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
I order a bow from Barnsdale and I told him I wanted 27.25 true draw so it would be 29 inch AMO draw. Got the bow put it on the board and measured 27.25 exactely. So if ya want it exact order a bransdale he will have it right.

· Registered
4,499 Posts
I Picked up a new Hoyt 737 two months ago (my fifth new Hoyt) and sure enough I couldn't get it to Hoyts advertized specs (even though the cable/string length was spot on to their tune charts. I took it back to the dealer and we twisted the cables/string to get it to spec. The cables/string was almost knotted up they we so far off. After a bit of talking to Hoyt, the factory made me a set of custom strings to our specs.

LET THIS BE A NOTICE TO ALL FACTORY REPS TUNING IN.....

I WILL NEVER AGAIN SPEND HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR AN INFERIOR PRODUCT.

EVERY NEW BOW WILL GO RIGHT BACK TO THE FACTORY UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT.

BTW...HOYT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS AWSOME!!!!!!!!
Is your draw length exactly on the half-inch??

· Registered
381 Posts
28" in the "E" slot.

The string lengths were completely wrong for the advertized specs even though the strings were correct according to the tune charts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually...if your talking Mathews...they are usually spot on.

Measured to the brace point (or burger button hole) and add 1 & 3.4" (AMO measurement).

Yep...this puts them 1/2" long if measured to the back of the bow, but this is not the place to measure drawlength.

And I can agree, this confusion does play havoc for dealers trying to get it right.
sorry I disagree...amo is from the throat of the grip....

· Coram Deo
3,288 Posts
Draw Length is the distance, at archer’s full draw, from nocking point on string to the pivot point of the grip plus 1 3/4 inches.
http://www.archerysearch.com/publications/AmoStandards.pdf

Officially - according to the standard AMO method - a bow's draw length setting can be found by measuring the distance between the groove of the nock - to a position 1 3/4" forward from the pivot point of the grip - when the bow is at full draw.
http://www.accuratearchery.com/arrow_selection.htm

Draw Length
The distance at full draw from the nocking point to the back of the grip. The AMO draw length is the distance from the nocking point to a point 1 3/4 inches past the back of the grip.
http://tucsonarchery.com/Archery_Terms.php

Picture above is correct.

· Registered
381 Posts
o.k. we've fixed the draw length issue....now

lets all get together as a group of consumers and fix the problem with the manufacturers.....I know is stinks to have to send your bow back, but if you're going to spend that much money...demand that it's right!

send the bow back or have the factory send out new strings......

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Hoyts

I've got several and have owned a few more and the AMO draw length is always wrong. I can get the draw length spot on, but then the brace and A to A is off along with the string and cable lengths.

So are you better of twisting things up so the draw length is correct or ordering short and shooting it long?

Hmmmm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.