Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a element w/#3 fuel cam and the tuning charts says that for the # 3 cam the string should be 54.25" but when I took mine off (factory string) and measured it tip to tip it is 55.25" (w/normal amount of twists). Seems like a lot of difference??? Should'nt Hoyt be a little more "on" than that??

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
Sounds very off....make sure to measure the string from the inside of the loops under 100# of tension. It's most accurate to use 1/4" posts to hook the string loops to when measuring(use cams if you have extras). While your bow is relaxed,I would measure the cables too.

·
Registered
15,104 Posts
Don't trust the sticker, I think they just apply them at random. :rolleyes:I've had two from that company with the lengths not even close.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Call ken at Baldy's archery... He did my string and cables on my Element... I have the same #3 cams...

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Wow that's pretty far off. I've seen these stretch a bit but never an inch on a cam 1/2. No twisting will get you an inch back. As noted above you also want to measure from inside loop to inside loop on 1/4" pegs under tension. I could see you losing 1/4" or so there but it would still be very long.

·
Registered
13,855 Posts
The AMO standard for measuring is on a 1/4 inch post from outside to outside the posts under 100# after 20 seconds..plus or minus 1/4" ...As a string builder 1/4" is too much to twist or untwist in either direction...most buildiers will toss them if they are not right on or within a 1/16"

in my experiance without tension the string will measure 1/8-1/4 short of the desired length...

Here is the AMO reference for proper measuring

AMO COMPOUND BOW STRING LENGTH STANDARD
Compound bowstring length shall be designated by its stretched length as determined by placing the string loops over 1/4” diameter steel pins and stretching with 100 lbs. of tension. Measurement is taken from outside of pin to outside of pin. Tolerance is +- 1/4” after 20 seconds under tension load.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Don't trust the sticker, I think they just apply them at random. :rolleyes:I've had two from that company with the lengths not even close.
I second this.

The proper string lengths are probably the hardest thing to get from a manufacturer, usually because the catalogs and spec sheets are printed before the bows are done, and the string lengths are probably the easiest thing to change before shipping a bow out the door.

I would call them first to make sure that you do in fact have the correct string length. Being a solid inch off would make a MASSIVE difference in how the cams timed, and the bow wouldn't even shoot right, so it sounds to me that if you were doing fine before then it was probably a mis label.

·
AT Sponsor
2,603 Posts
Correct you are!!!!
The AMO standard for measuring is on a 1/4 inch post from outside to outside the posts under 100# after 20 seconds..plus or minus 1/4" ...As a string builder 1/4" is too much to twist or untwist in either direction...most buildiers will toss them if they are not right on or within a 1/16"

in my experiance without tension the string will measure 1/8-1/4 short of the desired length...

Here is the AMO reference for proper measuring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts