Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start a small seasonal business processing seer out of my house, but I want to get setup legally through my county. Curious what you guys pay to have a deer processed and also does anyone know the cost and process to get setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For a basic processing I've seen prices range from $55 to $125 depending on the area. Summer sausage was around $2.50 a pound with a 5 or ten pound minimum.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,595 Posts
$85 at the place I take my deer to, thats basic cut and vacuum sealed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
In my neck of the woods (SE PA), it is about $75 for basic cuts (steaks, chops and ground). This also includes skinning by the processor.

I've since started doing it myself (it's not that hard) and even built my own walk-in cooler (there a mature doe in there right now).

"Aero" Joe

·
Registered
384 Posts
I paid $80 here in NEPA for basic cuts. I got it wrapped in in plastic(syran wrap) and on styrofoam. Because it was early my guy wasn't doing anything else special so I have no input on prices there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
80 for basic. I did the first one myself this year. Second one i took in because i wanted sausage and didn't have time to do it. Cost 140 for the basics plus 10LB of snack sticks and 10LB of Jalapeno summer sausage. so 3 dollars a package.

·
Registered
980 Posts
$75 - $85 for normal processing (skinning included). Summer sausage is between $3-4 lb. One place will cape for free if you order sausage or sticks, the rest are $20.

I even heard one place tell a guy on the phone that they would gut the deer for him for another $10 (I'm betting they don't even bother).

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I do my own. Anytime I had my deer processed it was terrible. Anytime I ever ate processed deer it was gamey. On mistake many places do is cut through the bone. I think that's why many people say " I tried venison and it wasn't good'.

·
El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
15,023 Posts
I do my own. Anytime I had my deer processed it was terrible. Anytime I ever ate processed deer it was gamey. On mistake many places do is cut through the bone. I think that's why many people say " I tried venison and it wasn't good'.
I love venison since I started cutting it up myself

·
Registered
756 Posts
i have people in the area who do from $65 to $85 base processing. Any special adds from there and they all vary

The $65 place doesnt vacuum pack (All butcher wrap), and doesnt grind in that price (Added price per pound)
The $85 place has the best sausage.

This year I tried out a $75 place and I kinda like what they did. Vacuum pack, grind included. Skinned the deer too. Got it back to me in a reasonable time, and added beef suet to the grind for $1 lb 1:8 ratio

I know a lot of guys who cut their own, but I dont have space, or time for it. Wouldn't mind it, and hats off to all who do, but I just dont see it in my future at least at this house

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know a guy who does it on the side for 40$ and that's skinning it and cutting it into burger, steaks, roast. There is also a guy who does it full time who charges 100$ for the basic stuff and 10$ a pound for jerky.

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
$80

1 - 20 of 36 Posts