Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up farming and one of our main crops is cotton. I ended up getting married and don't fool with much farming any more these days, FIRE/EMS keeps me too busy. Anywho... my neighbor stopped by today as I was practicing with my bow and told me that he had a cotton bale that he has had for many years. He used it for a target but no longer needs it. He offered it to me for FREE!!! The only downside is it weighs about 2,000 lbs but luckily he is gonna haul it over with his tractor. Has anyone else ever used a cotton bale?

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Depending on the condition of the bale, I would think you would be okay using it. Most might think oh it's cotton and it won't stop the arrow, but when they're compressed into a bale like that, it's a pretty solid piece.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I've used them for about 8 years now but just moved and got rid of the last one. They worked great with the EXCEPTION of the wire that binds them together were spaced about every 7 to 8" or so. Invariably every once in a while I would hit one of the wires even though I placed the target face centering between the wires. Shooting from say up to 100 yards but at the distances past 50 yards, every once in a while a point would hit the wire dead on. Since I used mostly glue in nibbs they would damage the tip just a small bit. Other than that, they lasted several thousand shots. I have had the large bales, probably about 4' plus wide and 5' high. I would lay it on the side so the wires were verticle and move my target faces around to stretch the life of the cotton. After a few thousand shots the area would get soft. Also they were about 28" thick, when it gets soft your arrow will almost get lost in the bale and you have to locate it to remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts