Archery Talk Forum banner

Cotton Vs. Polyester

6424 9
I need some new camo and Was wonderin which material everyone liked best and why. How much does cotton shrink? Should I get the next size up for it to fit right after washing? polyester doesnt shrink right? thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
693 Posts
You've really got to watch it with cotton. I've bought two cotton shirts the same size at the same place (different brands though). Neither one said pre-shrunk so I bought one size up thinking they would shrink. I've now got a shirt that fits great and one thats too big.

· Registered
908 Posts
First it depends on the quality of the cotton and what was done to it in the manufacturing process. It is hard to tell. The only cotton I have found that does not shrink is organic cotton and it is expensive, plus I have never seen it in camo.

Cotton does retain heat when wet, it does not wick moisture well, and does not dry out quickly. The only advantage to cotton is that it is generally more comfortable to wear.

Synthetics still retain heat when wet, wick very well, and dry out reasonably fast. They are not as comfotable.

I use merino wool all year long. In the right thickness it works in every temperature. I run in a superfine merino shirt in 100 degree weather in the summer, and duck hunt in heavier merino in the dead of winter, as well as use it everywhere in between.

Merino wool retains heat better than poly's when wet, wicks well, and dries out fast. It can hold over 30% its weight in water before it feels wet to the touch.

Check out firstlite.com it is pricey but the stuff works well. I wore it last weekend in the 80's while teal hunting and it was very comfortable from the time I walked into the marsh when it was 56 degrees to just over 80 when we left.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
When cotton gets wet.......it stays wet......whether from sweat, rain, dew, or falling into the river. I do not like cotton while hunting because I sweat, it rains, and morning dew is sometimes very heavy. Cotton is a killer when wet and windy or cold.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Cotton is NOT your friend as far as hunting clothing goes.

When I was younger (and poorer) I had a lot of that cheap cotton camo you can get at Wal-Mart and other places but I've replaced all that over the years and I don't think I wear anything made with cotton in the woods anymore.

· Registered
163 Posts
only adavantge to cotton is cost. Besides what has been mentioned it FADES which means you will have to replace it the more you wash it.

Synthetic fabrics (nylons, poly, etc) have come a LONG way. Hikers have known for years this material was superior, just didn't share with us hard-headed hunters :)

As far as the poly and nylon not beeing as comfortable, I would disagree. Underarmour has lead the way with new materials. Not cheap but they are WAY more comfortable than thye used to be. I even saw a shirt that resembled UnderArmour at WalMart for only $12.

Save the cotton for mowing the lawn!
Buy synthetics only (with the one major exception being wool. wool is GOOD).

· Registered
2,403 Posts
On the same page as everybody above...will wear it when it's 80's like it is here now,but poly is way better,never when it's cold or late season...bad news right there.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.