Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was sitting over an ice hole the other day until the heater ran out of propane thinking i should start doing an out of state hunt once a year. Coues deer have my attention. I havent started researching too hard yet, but if I can convince a friend to go half on gas i think it could be a good time. So for those that have gone or know someone who knows someone that has gone, was it worth it? Is it a do over trip? Or overrated?

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
I can tell you what you need to know... via PM.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I flew to Tucson for $375

Brought my cape and rack back in my pocket.

Lots of public ground

Tags are good for coues or mule deer

Tag cost like $500

I hunted in Jan and the rut was on.

Quiet shoes is a must, look up my coues deer thread for pics of shoes.

It was a ton of fun and the weather was awesome.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Haven't missed the January hunt in that state for over nearly 30 years now. It's a great time to be in the desert.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts

Lots of public ground

Tag cost like $500

Rodney did u do this hunt as a swap or was it a DIY?''

I am seriously looking at this coming jan. as my bro has moved to southern Arizona last fall. could be a good visit/hunt....and nice to get away from below zero weather Wyoming get in jan.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
I went with a buddy I have in Tucson.

Rodney did u do this hunt as a swap or was it a DIY?''

I am seriously looking at this coming jan. as my bro has moved to southern Arizona last fall. could be a good visit/hunt....and nice to get away from below zero weather Wyoming get in jan.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,160 Posts
I can tell you what you need to know... via PM.

Lots of public ground

Tag cost like $500

Kudos guys...bowhunters helping other bowhunters. I also Have a buddy in Tucson....not sure whether I can swing both this and the lanai hunt that close together

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
funny i was just planning on driving down there january too, seems like a fun OTC hunt when its frigid here

·
Registered
224 Posts
You will need quiet but sturdy shoes. Lots of layers of clothing. The best optics you can get your hands on.

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It's 45 right now but January is when we get a three week snap of 15 below. Arizona sounds like a great idea about then.
I have a couple pairs of salomon speedcross 3's that I always wear hunting. i should modify a pair of stretchy rubber ice cleats with some felt. I bet that would work for stealth. Just sold my spotter a couple months ago, looks like I might need to get another.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Hotglue two layers of carpet pad on them.

A heavy leather shoe is best (lots of cactus)

Thanks guys. It's 45 right now but January is when we get a three week snap of 15 below. Arizona sounds like a great idea about then.
I have a couple pairs of salomon speedcross 3's that I always wear hunting. i should modify a pair of stretchy rubber ice cleats with some felt. I bet that would work for stealth. Just sold my spotter a couple months ago, looks like I might need to get another.

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solid idea. I have one pair that are worn smooth. Instead of retiring them I will just make stalking shoes.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Take tweezers... Not a matter of if but when you will be pulling them out.

10x binocs on a tripod (used 90%)
Spotter was used 10%

A butt pad cause you will be sitting and glassing all day

70's after sun comes up but 30's before ( loved my puffy)

·
Ice Cold
11,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on, I can see I will need to buy more stuff. As of now, I have 10x50 viper HDs but need a tripod. I have a first lite charma I can wear early then throw in my pack later. Im not sure what standard operating procedure is on coues but in my head I'm thinking of packing in somewhere and setting up camp then hunting out of there. Everything I hunt around home is day tripping from the road, but I got too aggressive on a bidding war on ebay and might wind up with an MSR elixir tent.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
And don't forget to pickup a Javelina tag if there are left-overs in the unit....crazy fun!

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
Your gonna need to stay mobile if your flying by the seat of your pants with no prior scouting. Coues densities are A LOT different than what your used to here in MT...

Right on, I can see I will need to buy more stuff. As of now, I have 10x50 viper HDs but need a tripod. I have a first lite charma I can wear early then throw in my pack later. Im not sure what standard operating procedure is on coues but in my head I'm thinking of packing in somewhere and setting up camp then hunting out of there. Everything I hunt around home is day tripping from the road, but I got too aggressive on a bidding war on ebay and might wind up with an MSR elixir tent.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you can find a good water source, Coues will often visit it during the hunt. Especially if it's dry and warm. Here's one I snapped a photo of on December 31st.

Coues 1.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts