Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one haveing a problem with Cougar on there land? We here in Arkansaw are seeing sign of wild cougars or as we call them panthers. The Game and Fish tell us that they are not any but we read the sign very well and know that we have some. They tell us that we can not shot them if we see them. What would you do if you happen to see one in the woods while bow hunting??

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Olddog48,
You got to remember, this is the same Game and Fishing that doesn't know how to tell the public you can't kill a doe with a gun in North Arkansas. They can't write. They can't be consistent with their own interpretations. I am not talking about the Game Wardens or the Biologist. I am talking about them fool administrators. Also, you got to remember, this is the same agency Director that called the Prosecuting Attourney and suggested to drop the charges against the Arkansas Legistators that got caught violating trout fishing regulations. I mean something like 60 or 70 counts of fishing violations.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Arkie,

It sounds like Clinton may have had something to do with that:D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We ran him out of Arkansas and he becomes the President. Can't win for losing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
yea, and those poor idiots in NY voted in mrs c.:D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I talked to a biologist for game and fish and he said the officers do not listen them....The ones that get the laws changed are the big time gun hunters in AR....I am referring to the "doe "laws....

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
actually we have htem in oklahoma also and they stated they were brought to help with trimming down the deer herds as teh hunters weren;t doing a very good job of it. also we have bears and wolves that have been introduced and they seem to be doing quite well as they tore up two of my feeder motors and i had to replace them
rob k

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have a problem with them on our land here in Oklahoma.
The wildlife dept. said they are "very rare,but do exist"
I've got news for them....they ain't rare,they're very common.
I WILL kill them on sight,no questions asked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
not a cougar

just a house cat on steroids, be careful !!!if one becomes interested in you your sight is your only defence as you will hear nothing,carry a hand gun with you this season better to have a ticket and face the judge than face the cougar without one,besides a 9mm will fit inside most jacket inside pockets
there is a diffrence in takeing it to hunt and taking it to save your life!!!!how many acres is your hunting land and what kind of signs have you seen?do you have a scout cam on the land?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
HarleyHunter,
You got some nerve talking on this thread and dishing out advise after that stupid ass stunt you did with the arrow in the cat's head for your illegal friend.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: not a cougar

HARLEYHUNTER said:
how many acres is your hunting land and what kind of signs have you seen?do you have a scout cam on the land?
300 acres
No cameras but there are tracks and one fell out of a tree right beside uswhile my dad and I were fishing.
Actually he walked out on a limb that wouldn't hold his weight and it snapped.Cat came crashing down and ran.
Dad saw a different one at the pther end of the land.
He was loading firewood and walked right past one sitting on it's haunches lickin' it's chops.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
100% are carriers of rabies it may not be active but they have it!!!
[/B]

100% Jerry? Somehow I doubt this. What is the source of your information and can you show a study or report on this, or are you just talking out of your 5th point of contact again?

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
You are way more likely to get mauled by a dog than even see a cougar. Hell, I bet more deer are killed by abandoned dogs than all the bear, coyote, wolf and cougar killings combined in the lower 48. Let's not forget about the huge roadkill.

I can't believe some of you weanies are afraid of them in the wild. My hunting grounds are a bear highway with everyday sightings of grizzlies and black bears...both of which are a Hell of alot scarier than a cougar...yet I don't even carry a handgun when bowhunting. I don't even worry when bringing my 7 y.o. son with me. The same tactics I use to get close to game also help me see the big carnivores before they see me.

We've screwed with the fish and game process enough in this country. If a predator comes back to an area naturally (I oppose restocking carnivores) than more power to them. Just whacking predators because they compete with me for game is disgusting to me. They still are a valuable tool to eradicate sick and wounded game animals from the gene pool. I have no problem hunting them in proper seasons, which I do already.

Being in the woods with ALL of gods creatures that are supposed to be there is why I bowhunt.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
use a repeating rifle and a backup pistol cocked and ready as when you enter those woods you areno longer the hunter...your

THE HUNTED!!

do not underestimate these animal's this is how they have survived by being unpredictable,underestimated and 100% are carriers of rabies it may not be active but they have it!!!
LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS...OH MY!!!

Give me a break.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I grew up in the Okanogan area in Washington and went to college in Idaho. I grew up where cougars live extensively and never had a single issue with them. Even around livestock. I have thousands of backcountry miles on my feet and I've been totally untouched by the big scary cats.

I have hunted cougars dozen of times and I'm not afraid a bit. They do damn near anything to get away from people. Then again, those southern cats may just be a little scarier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts