Archery Talk Forum banner

Cougar

1269 31
Is any one haveing a problem with Cougar on there land? We here in Arkansaw are seeing sign of wild cougars or as we call them panthers. The Game and Fish tell us that they are not any but we read the sign very well and know that we have some. They tell us that we can not shot them if we see them. What would you do if you happen to see one in the woods while bow hunting??
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
You are way more likely to get mauled by a dog than even see a cougar. Hell, I bet more deer are killed by abandoned dogs than all the bear, coyote, wolf and cougar killings combined in the lower 48. Let's not forget about the huge roadkill.

I can't believe some of you weanies are afraid of them in the wild. My hunting grounds are a bear highway with everyday sightings of grizzlies and black bears...both of which are a Hell of alot scarier than a cougar...yet I don't even carry a handgun when bowhunting. I don't even worry when bringing my 7 y.o. son with me. The same tactics I use to get close to game also help me see the big carnivores before they see me.

We've screwed with the fish and game process enough in this country. If a predator comes back to an area naturally (I oppose restocking carnivores) than more power to them. Just whacking predators because they compete with me for game is disgusting to me. They still are a valuable tool to eradicate sick and wounded game animals from the gene pool. I have no problem hunting them in proper seasons, which I do already.

Being in the woods with ALL of gods creatures that are supposed to be there is why I bowhunt.

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
use a repeating rifle and a backup pistol cocked and ready as when you enter those woods you areno longer the hunter...your

THE HUNTED!!

do not underestimate these animal's this is how they have survived by being unpredictable,underestimated and 100% are carriers of rabies it may not be active but they have it!!!
LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS...OH MY!!!

Give me a break.

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I grew up in the Okanogan area in Washington and went to college in Idaho. I grew up where cougars live extensively and never had a single issue with them. Even around livestock. I have thousands of backcountry miles on my feet and I've been totally untouched by the big scary cats.

I have hunted cougars dozen of times and I'm not afraid a bit. They do damn near anything to get away from people. Then again, those southern cats may just be a little scarier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.