Archery Talk Forum banner

Cougar

1263 31
Is any one haveing a problem with Cougar on there land? We here in Arkansaw are seeing sign of wild cougars or as we call them panthers. The Game and Fish tell us that they are not any but we read the sign very well and know that we have some. They tell us that we can not shot them if we see them. What would you do if you happen to see one in the woods while bow hunting??
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,775 Posts
I agree with AKDoug. I did a little research on this a while back and since 1900 there are less than a dozen recorded deaths due to cougars in the US and Canada combined. There are a lot more critters I'd be worried about running into, both 2 and 4 legged.

· Registered
195 Posts
oregon banned hunting cougars and bears with dogs in 1994. since then the population has increased by quite a bit. i still firmly believe that cougars are more dangerous than bears. i think that a bear would leave faster than a cat might. as far as stats go, no there haven't been very many deaths by cougars in the last century, but the number of attacks is much higher, and the number of cats coming in closer and closer to town especially where i live (actually in town, apparently dog is very tasty) is steadily increasing. either bears are smarter or cougars have less fear of humans than do bears. either way a cougar isn't something i would exactly enjoy seeing up close and personal.

· Registered
441 Posts
arkie said:
HarleyHunter,
You got some nerve talking on this thread and dishing out advise after that stupid ass stunt you did with the arrow in the cat's head for your illegal friend.
You tell him Arkie!!!!!! What an imposter!

· Registered
1,279 Posts
shoes said:
Iam a certified volunteer through the ellijay georgia sancuairy,We have a web site if you would like to consult with the directer on this matter there is actually several animals that are 100% carriers cougars are one of these
Let me get this straight, 2 weeks ago you shot one with a field point and didn't know what it was, but now you are an expert on them? I'm going to start an over/ under pool on how many posts it will be before you tell the truth about something. The current estimate is 1000+ but it is likely to go higher.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Re: it is true

shoes said:
Iam a certified volunteer through the ellijay georgia sancuairy,We have a web site if you would like to consult with the directer on this matter there is actually several animals that are 100% carriers cougars are one of these
Jerry made the above statement when I questioned his statment about 100% of all cougars being carriers of rabies. He posted the link and this is what I sent the director he suggested I consult:

Sir,

In a recent discussion on ArcheryTalk.com one of the members stated that 100% of all cougars were known to be carriers of rabies. As this number seemed to be a little high and he has a reputation for making statements with no basis in fact we had reason to question this. When asked where he got this information he claimed to be affiliated with your organization and referred me to you for more information. Could you please clear this matter up for us?

Thank you for your time.

SGT Chris Frazier
Ft. Hood, TX

This is what I recieved in reply:

Mr. Frazer:

We would be vary interested in knowing who it is saying that their affiliated with our organization making those kind of unfounded statements. First, there are only six animals listed in the united states that are known as common carriers. As follows, Raccoons, Bobcats, Fox, Skunks, bats and a newly listed animal known as Coyotes. As to weather they, Cougars / Panthers could contract rabies or not I would say it is possible but highly unlikely. Although they have been hunted for years with dogs, thus saying if a dog were rabid and fought with the Cougar / Panther the virus could be transmitted in this way. We have never known of documentation down south of a PANTHER CONTRACTING RABIES! Certainly, it would be false to say all Cougar / Panthers have rabies. Once again, in behalf of the individual sharing these unfounded ideas perhaps he misunderstood some information he herd, we all make mistakes at times. Hope this helps. By no means do we claim to know everything about the Panthers / Cougars, thus saying though we have lived, slept, ate with them now for over 15 years, which now totals 20 Mountain Lions. 15 western and five eastern, Americas most endangered mammal. Must close for now. Have a FUNTASTIC day!

"Grizzly" Craig Cylke

Wildlife & Camp Director

I was willing to give Jerry a second chance, however, he has proven that he is a compulsive liar and can't be trusted.

· Registered
726 Posts
The tree huggers here in Califorina outlawed hunting Mt Lions back in the seventys, and since then the population has gone crazy, we have tons of em.
I've seen many of them in the wild, and they always run away fast. They are smart enough to be afraid of humans, and unless they are starving, will not attact a human. It's a good think too, any perdator that can tackel a grown elk would have no trouble with a human.
They can be a lot of trouble with a deer population, the average adult cougar kills/eats about one deer a week ( thats fifty two deer a year ) so if you have three or four cats liveing in the area, they are eating two hundred deer a year. They also kill/eat dogs and livestock, cows sheep ect. Don't think a horse is safe, it isn't.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.