Archery Talk Forum banner

Coughing while on stand

22279 Views 36 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  laur
I've got a terrible cough lately thanks to the better half and was thinking of going hunting on Sunday. Do I risk it if I'm going to be hacking away up there or wait a week for it to pass?

I don't want ot risk scaring everything out of the area but if it's not a concern I'll gladly stand up in a tree.

Thanks,
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Heres an idea..... Mine as well go get yourself a billboard thats huge maybe like 40' by 60' that says "hey theres a hunter right here" with an arrow pointing right at yourself. Then make sure you have to pee and pee all over around your stand make sure you get it all over the place. And then try hunting. If i was you id stay home:darkbeer:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
That pee may just draw the deer in. From my experiences human urine does not spook deer. Lot of guys out there use it in their scrapes. Getting back to the cough I might wait it out. I had a bad cough late season last year that I just could not get rid of, and it limited my hunting. I have not tested it but have heard that the cough silencers are not very effective either. Your best bet might be some Buckleys!!!

Heres an idea..... Mine as well go get yourself a billboard thats huge maybe like 40' by 60' that says "hey theres a hunter right here" with an arrow pointing right at yourself. Then make sure you have to pee and pee all over around your stand make sure you get it all over the place. And then try hunting. If i was you id stay home:darkbeer:

· Registered
4,114 Posts
That pee may just draw the deer in. From my experiences human urine does not spook deer. Lot of guys out there use it in their scrapes. Getting back to the cough I might wait it out. I had a bad cough late season last year that I just could not get rid of, and it limited my hunting. I have not tested it but have heard that the cough silencers are not very effective either. Your best bet might be some Buckleys!!!
Right on the money on both accounts.

· Registered
272 Posts
I dont know how bad your cough is but I saw a doe last year that had a bad cough. I didnt know what the heck it was till I saw her with about five others. Animals cough too but I guess it depends on how bad yours is and how bad you want to go hunting.

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,082 Posts
Given it's not the rut I'd wait it out. If it were the rut I'd be out there regardless.

I've had coughs during primetime and I always have two things with me - honey/lemon cough drops (I figure they are the least offensive smelly cough drops and sometime 1 cough drop can stave off a coughing fit for an hour or more - well worth it in my opinion) and the other is the cough silencer. When used properly the cough silencer absolutely makes a difference. There is still some noise but it is far more muffled that an open cough or even coughing into your jacket.

· Registered
5,984 Posts
Here is what I would do. Go out and see how bad it is. Take some cough drops like suggested and if you need to cough muffle it in the bend of your elbow as best you can. I have severe allergies and I always go out reguardless. If I get to bad with sneezing or coughing I just come home. Heck it's always worth a try to go out and see how you feel when you get there. Two hours of one or two coughs may not mess things up too bad, especially if they are muffled good. Just my .02

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I chew while hunting and I can sit on the couch for hours and watch Tv and never cough, but it seems like when Im hunting I get a dry throat followed by a coughing spell..... I just dont see how or why I can be at home and never cough then that happens while hunting!! Newtons law I guess!!!!

Just cough and muffle it, try and hold it in and then the next time you breath out your mouth this huge cough comes flying out unexpected and its LOUD!!
Just my .02!!!:wink:

· Registered
1,397 Posts
I had/have a cough and I coughed a pretty good bit on stand October 1st which is opening day for us. I shot two hogs that morning. For my evening hunt on a different stand I saw about 7 deer, one was a spike that came in about ten yards from me and I let him pass. But I muffled it pretty good with both of my hands clasped together. I have a cough silencer and they DON'T work! Maybe for those courtesy coughs, but not for BIG sick coughs. In all honesty I believe I just got lucky on opening day, coughed at the right times I recon. I also sucked on about 10 Ricola cough drops in a 6 hour period on Sunday and still coughed about every 45 min.

My best advice is go to the doctor, I went and he gave me an anibiotic and some stuff to dry chest congestion up and also a little pill that is a cough suppressent and it WORKS! As soon as I get home I will get the name of the pill for you. If you have some really great deer activity going on right now and some big bucks around, I wouldn't chance going in and giving away your stand location.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Cough into your grunt tube.....
That's funny! Took something they call "pilot pills" kind of a numbing coughdrop deal,don't know the clinical name for them...things did work though.

· Registered
723 Posts
i saw somthing somewhere that there is some kind of contraption that you cough into and its susposta quiet your cough sound or somthing? i duno i think i seen it at gander mountaion.... to me it dosnt sound like it would work though but who knows?

· Registered
14,752 Posts
if you have some public land close or a not so good spot ,,i would go there instead of taking a chance of messing up your hunting later on.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Oh sure !! Screw up the public land !! That's about all I have to hunt.!!:wink:
screw up the parts you don't normally hunt,,could work out in your favor later on:wink:

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Tessalon Pearls are the pills that my doctor gave me for cough...they work great! Only have to take them 3 times a day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.