Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at all the bows offered this year, it would seem like 2018 could have some of the best offerings we've seen for a long time. While the speed has really flatlined in progress, the amount of shorter bows offered have become much more stable/forgiving than it has ever been.

Draw cycles are much smoother at the higher IBO's and are not shoulder killers of yester-year.

Mathews's Triax has been a big hit at 28" ATA
Bowtech seems to have solved their limb problems and the Realm seems to be a head turner.
Hoyt has done some good things to it's Carbon line if you're in the market at a higher price point.
PSE has a variety of bows offered.
Elite's Ritual is slowly starting to get a lot of great attention returning to what put them on the map while not crushing us with price.
Prime's Logic, much like the short ATA of the Triax, is getting a lot of positive attention and are doing some innovative things with their bows.
Obession's Fixation returns to offer one of the better bows on the market after taking the Outdoor Life's Bow Of The Year the last 2 years.

I could go on. The only thing I am really glad to see overall is that all of these bows except for 1 is at the $1000 price point. While some may be willing to pay the $1500 for a carbon bow, I'm hoping that in 5 years we don't see all the names above have bows at that price point essentially making their $1000 bows their mid-tier line.

·
can I shoot it?
17,052 Posts
I agree with the OP, this year seems to have some solid tech advancements and refinements that haven’t been there the last couple of years.

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
Was there good advancements this year, yes. Where they huge, more a matter of the person. Myself, yes, earth shakeing no.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not at all...technology is reaching a point where you are only going to see smaller less dramatic changes year to year. It really makes sense though as these engineers are using physics principles that have been around since the beginning of time. We can't change those things and therefore what happens is to sell new stuff they start adjusting size, draw length, adding dampeners, weight adjustments etc to try and fit to a different crowd. I do think some manufacturers have reached that peak of technology faster for their product and now the other names are catching up----that we will continue to see.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not at all...technology is reaching a point where you are only going to see smaller less dramatic changes year to year. It really makes sense though as these engineers are using physics principles that have been around since the beginning of time. We can't change those things and therefore what happens is to sell new stuff they start adjusting size, draw length, adding dampeners, weight adjustments etc to try and fit to a different crowd. I do think some manufacturers have reached that peak of technology faster for their product and now the other names are catching up----that we will continue to see.
What the heck does that even mean? lol

·
Registered
17,368 Posts
I personally think Hoyt didn't improve on there carbon lineup but I didn't get to shoot it more to see if it held better then my 2015, 2013,2012, and 2010 carbons. I'm a hoyt fan but think 2018 carbons are turds. The vibe and noise is like bows before string stops. Noise is like my 25 year old bow.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Personally I don't think the short bow trend is a great thing. I'm glad Elite went back a little longer with the Ritual.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
What has this year brought new that wasn't there a few years ago?

Riser cages have been around for 4-5years.

Mathews is using the same cams with 4yo nocam tech.

Ultra wide split limbs have been used for a few years.

PSEs Evolve cams have been used by Darton for nearly a decade.

Bowtech, same OD Binary, just new profile.

All these companies are now utilizing these things that have been around for a few years already.

I am most intrigued by what Darton has done with their method of dealing with binary cam lean...but even that is similar to something done like 10years ago.

Let's face it...nothing this year is new.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

All these companies are now utilizing these things that have been around for a few years already.

I am most intrigued by what Darton has done with their method of dealing with binary cam lean...but even that is similar to something done like 10years ago.

Your post is like saying Ford and Chevy use the same 4 wheel design on top of 2 axles like the Flintstones. So really, nothing's changed. lol .

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The main thing I see is there are a few bow companies that are putting out speed bows that draw, hold and shoot as good or better than forgiving slow bows of 5 years ago.
PSE, Expedition are 2 companies that come to mind... And the HOYT Carbon turbo Rx-1 this year is smooth, really shootable, and its fast

·
Registered
736 Posts
What the heck does that even mean? lol
It means that we can't change basic physics principles to make a better product. Engineers today have already used every mechanical advantage to make a superior product.
Physics is a class in high school----you know back in the day lol

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It means that we can't change basic physics principles to make a better product. Engineers today have already used every mechanical advantage to make a superior product.
Physics is a class in high school----you know back in the day lol
Yeah I took it in college from a former nasa employee which taught a class with an 89% fail rate.

That’s why your post sounded so ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah I took it in college from a former nasa employee which taught a class with an 89% fail rate.

Yeah and I was taught by Albert Einstein.

IF you did take it from someone like that and know what you're talking about, you'll realize that he was meaning to say that there are limits to how far technology can take a product. Stop being a drama queen and put your tape measure away- it's not a **** measuring contest....

·
Registered
4,474 Posts

sounds like a terrible teacher and a pompous post.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah and I was taught by Albert Einstein.

IF you did take it from someone like that and know what you're talking about, you'll realize that he was meaning to say that there are limits to how far technology can take a product. Stop being a drama queen and put your tape measure away- it's not a **** measuring contest....
My apologies. I read it wrong.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I personally think Hoyt didn't improve on there carbon lineup but I didn't get to shoot it more to see if it held better then my 2015, 2013,2012, and 2010 carbons. I'm a hoyt fan but think 2018 carbons are turds. The vibe and noise is like bows before string stops. Noise is like my 25 year old bow.
My customers sure like the RX-1 this year. We have already sold more carbons this year than we did all of last year. They are tuning easier and with little to no cam lean and have a better draw cycle than the previous year.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts

Plus 1

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
My customers sure like the RX-1 this year. We have already sold more carbons this year than we did all of last year. They are tuning easier and with little to no cam lean and have a better draw cycle than the previous year.
Yup, these are the best Hoyt's to date, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the carbons!! This years RX1 is better in every way!

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup, these are the best Hoyt's to date, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the carbons!! This years RX1 is better in every way!
I have heard, before this thread even, the Hoyt carbons have a lot of vibration at the shot. Is that not true?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts