Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had and shot well the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 250 but was going on an Elk hunt and was talked into buying heavier arrows..bad move. My local ( 40 miles away) and very attentive Bow shop did not have what I wanted (CE Pile Drivers)so I bought what they had.... GT Kenetic hunter 400's all for a 25 grn addition. My Quiver rubber was stretched out so i had to buy another one because of a smaller diameter shaft and now after all this ( retuning & re zeroing) I just cant seem to hit the broad side of a barn consistently..leaving in 8 days and just about ready to call it off. I'm a newbie at all this so telling me to do this & that about trying to fine tune is not logical. I'll screw it up more than it is now..if thats possible.

Is this all in my head or can a simple arrow change make this much difference?

talk me off the ledge guys!

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
When you change your arrows, you have to retune your bow, and in my experience especially if you go from a standard carbon to small diameter carbon. You need to start from the beginning. Paper tune, broadhead tune, and get everything set for your hunt.

·
Registered
687 Posts
good luck with the tuning and the hunt. if i did not know much about setting up a bow i would take it to a shop. it will save you alot of time on set up plus you will have more confidence in your bow as-well. what is your set up that will help out a lot.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had been re tuned when I bought the arrows ..I have not yet been able to be consistent enough to screw with broadheads

Shop says they are swamped .. cant guarantee anything time wise & I have learned if I'm not there the entire time ..no telling what will happen.

oh yea .. Ross Carnivore 31 60# 28 inch draw

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm headn to the the Bow shop first thing ( more time off of work ... grrrrrr) gonna get this issue rectified come hell or high water.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Sounds like relax! would be the best advice.

Shoot through some paper, will probably need to raise the rest a smidgeon to compansated for skinnier shaft.

I personally like to walk back tune, out to at least 30 yards.

Then go broadhead tuning.

Most imortant though is to relax while doing it. Sounds like you are panicking a little cause of the hunt in 8 days.

8 days is a looooong time to tune a bow.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Man, I wouldnt be stressing to much. Just start fresh.

I just had to do the same thing day before yesterday. I added about 25 grains as well and a few tweaks to my rest and I was good to go!!! it really isnt that hard. Start by shooting through paper. get close as you can to a bullet, then walk back. really you should only have 1 or 2 minor changes to your rest and you will be good to go. Broadhead tune and your done.

I wouldnt pay a bow shop to do something you can do in an hour or so.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, I wouldnt be stressing to much. Just start fresh.

I just had to do the same thing day before yesterday. I added about 25 grains as well and a few tweaks to my rest and I was good to go!!! it really isnt that hard. Start by shooting through paper. get close as you can to a bullet, then walk back. really you should only have 1 or 2 minor changes to your rest and you will be good to go. Broadhead tune and your done.

I wouldnt pay a bow shop to do something you can do in an hour or so.
rest does not adjust up n down ( hostage) so I tried moving my D loop .. then my peep sight goes sideways.

I aint paying him for crap .he's the one that set me up with this crap He's gonna fix it.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
it should move up and down...mine did..

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree, you have time to figure this out. Besides the bow tune, you may have arrow spine issues you said you went from 250s to 400s

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
spine a 250 flexes .250" a 400 .400" 28"" with a 1.94# weight in the middle drop tip weight turn down draw weight or buy new arrows
I suggest the latter

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Are the arrows a different spine strength?? If your arrows are over spined this will happen!! I had this same thing happen to my target bow.. I was shooting GT ultralite 400's and I wanted to try to shoot series 22's.. Well I couldnt get them sighted in for nothing i was all over the bag found out that the 22's are a 250 spine which is way too stiff for my 60lb bow.. So I switched back to the Ultralites and was shooting great once again... just food for thought... good luck

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the CX MH250 = GT 400 in spine.. but problem was solved, you are right Codykrr mine does move up n down the markings were just worn such I had to get the lite just right to see them. I had to move it up a bit.. took it to another Bow shop & he helped me out there were some other issues that he took care of ... got it shootn good now. Oh yea I guess the first guy had forgot to tighten my rest back up .. I did not notice how loose it was... things rookies dont know what to look for.

I think when I bought these different arrows and the Owner "paper tuned" it for me well he must of been distracted .. its a bigger shop with rifles pistols etc etc and is always crowded.. this new shop is very small & comes with good reviews from people I trust ... I think in these cases smaller might be better..

I do appreciate your all's help tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts