Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8:15 opening morning out steps a big cow horn spike @ 20 yrds slightly quarting away,this was going to be my first deer w/ a bow. I took the shot it felt good, the deer ran about 20 more yrds and stoped I thought he would fall right there but after a min. he walked off kinda slow and out sight. I got the binos out and looked at the arrow could not see blood so i stayed in stand another hour when i wentto get my arrow there was blood on itBut hte blood looked (watered down) but the blood on the ground was dark red just not much of it. ther would be a few drops then none for 10 15 yrds same thing out to about 80 yrds the none at all we looked for 4 hrs but could not find anymore blood or the deer. Did I hit him to far back or low I just dont know I do know i am bumed out about this Here is what the arrow looked like I shoot a Rage Ke

Attachments

· Registered
1,847 Posts
thats the ??? i was gonna ask any gut matter on the arrow???

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
It sounds like he had a belly ache to me. I hit a deer in the liver and guts one time and he ran about 30 yds, stopped for a while, then walked off with an intestine hanging out of his side. He crossed the river slowly, then bedded down in some tall grass. I watched him thrash around every now and then through my binos and he eventually died about 2 hours later. All you can do is look more tomorrow. If you don't find him, shake it off, practice shooting to get your confidence back, and climb back up in a tree for another try. Good luck man.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I am guessing that the temps are too high to expect him to be good in the morning, but I would still head back out and check some more. Look for water and thick stuff. Thats most likely where you will find him.
Dont let it get you down, just start shooting and prevent it from happening again. That feeling sucks, but dont ever forget it.
Good luck.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
gut shot a doe opening morning here in PA same thing with running clearer blood on arrow copper smell light blood trail, gave it two hours and found her maybe 70yds from the shot. used the standard rage 2 blade not happy about my shot but happy i found her and the rage did a good job..

look again real hard but sometimes it doesnt happen for ya, just get your confidence back and get back at it.. we've all lost a deer at some point

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.